Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Is Detroit "the Next Cool Thing" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See this article in Model D Detroit about a new "brand" for Detroit:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/branding62.aspx

What do you think?

"Everything is extremely preliminary, but they are intrigued with the idea of targeting the brand toward younger visitors, urban enthusiasts and generally people who are interested in different types of travel. The target could be, metaphorically, the younger siblings of the hipsters and ultra-cool kids who "discovered" Prague. The resulting marketing campaigns could be more underground — think online, viral, Podcast, MySpace, Wikipedia, the blogosphere and everything that's emerging in marketing to Gen X and Gen Y.

'I think there's a lot of acceptance of the idea that Detroit is a city that appeals to young people, that the cool aspects of Detroit can be really attractive to young people,' Townsend says. "

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe in 2002

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

before it starts to attract young people, Detroit needs to add:

a) a downtown hostel or hostels;
b) quality public transit (that is cost effective) from the airport to downtown; and
c) quality and cost effective public transit to move people between areas of interest.

Let me elaborate: for those with a (very) limited budget, renting a car or paying for cab rides is very expensive. If the price of a weekend car rental is the same as the price of a weekend stay in a Chicago hostel, Detroit starts to look very expensive and less attractive to those on budgets.

(Message edited by upinottawa on September 19, 2006)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This city is going to need a lot of work convincing young college grads that it is not a violence plauged hell hole they all seem to think it is. Persuading people through a clever ad campaign is a good idea to start. I have hands on experience with the targeted group of people they mention I am a student here at MSU and just saturday I was having a discussion with some student co workeres about "cities I want to move to when I graduate" and I was the only one who said Detroit. I was almost offended when some said Atlanta over Detroit but that is the way they think.
They all said the following are some of the reasons they wouldnt move here. (I wasnt doing a survey they just came up when I asked why not)
A) the lack of non automotive jobs (i.e. stable jobs) are available
B) The lack of that one area in the city where its "happening" such as Chicago's Gold Coast or Midtown Manhattan.
C) Michigan weather which there is nothing we can do about.
And D) I noticed sort of a racial bias against Detroit some pointed out how segregated this region still is and to the non black students who arent from the metro area already found the city and burbs un welcoming.
If they manage to pull of a campaign that adresses these issues and trust me there are more. I just dont feel like typing anymore. That would certainly help the city and state retain the young professional demographic in the future and therefore I wish them well.

Antonyj11
Username: Antonyj11

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, mainly because:

1) Lack of a diversified economy
2) Racial tension/segregation (does not seem to be improving)
3) Lack of mass transit
4) Bureaucratic, inefficient city government
5) Lack of access to capital to pursue needed projects

Until these issues begin to be addressed, I don't see Detroit being able to compete with other cities in the near future.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually looking @ #2 - the recent demographic studies show minorities in suburbs (specifiaclly eastsdie Macomb suburbs) are increasing by over 100%-300% depending on the city. THis may not indicate a demographic change/cultural shift rather than a representation of the lack of condifence middle class blacks have in Detroit. However, the diversity of those communities is increasing

(Message edited by apbest on September 19, 2006)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"ultra-cool kids who 'discovered' prague"
and "hip-hoppers." could these guys be more clueless?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha Chitaku. good

Chitaku

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way back in 03 NME magazine had a guide to Detroit in their magazine complete with photos and map. NME is England's Rolling Stone. Mojo magazine also a european mag, named Detroit top vacation spot.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

I moved to the country less than 2 years ago and I thought I could bring some insight here.
I had the opportunity to transfer from France to UCLA, U of M, McGill (Montreal), Northwestern (Chicago) and U Texas.
Many friends told me to chose U of M since it was close to Detroit.
In Europe, or the least in France, there is not the perception that Detroit is a crime city (since there is no use/necessity/goal in Detroit bashing).

Detroit is widely percieved by the youth in France as a very urbanized city with a quintessential American feel to it. Grit, Music, culture, heavy industrialization... that was the image I had of it too... a gotham city like image.
Of course, many associate Detroit as a center for Hip Hop (Eminem), but also Kid Rock and of course MoTown music, still very popular and "en-vogue" in France. Techno/Electronic, very dear to the Frenchalso, is almost always associated to Detroit. Detroit was also founded by a Frenchman (Antoine de la Mot Cadillac)... really, the French associate Detroit with myths, grandeur, and a very special post-modern electronic city, which would be to the French a gritty, yet very hip and intriguing city...

I really believe that Detroit could become a major tourist attraction to young Europeans once the adequate tourist infrastructure is built and aggressive tourist campaigns. So much potential and ressources Detroit should tap into...

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why Detroit is so popular to Europeans. I think more Europeans know about Detroit than Chicago, which is CRAZY......

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit gets a lot of respect internationally. In NY I met a guy from Brazil and he said that he wished he could live in Detroit instead of NY.

We all know that the US is 2 years behind Europe in fads, so Detroit will be on the map again here by 2008.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it crazy to think Europeans know more about Detroit than Chicago? I mean, REALLY!?! What has Chicago contributed to the world... and what has Detroit contributed? Think about it? When I think Techno, Jazz, Hip-hop, Motown... shit, MUSIC in general, I think Detroit. When I think sports? I think Detroit. When I think Cars? Detroit. These are ALL everyday items which Europeans know about or dream about. Now, Chicago? uhm... hotdogs, Chicago pizza, uhm... yea. MAYBE blues... but when I think blues, I think of New Orleans, not Chicago.

Honestly, living in Europe for 1.5 years now, people love to hear about Detroit. I see Detroit T-shirts often. On the radio I hear about "Detroit Techno" or "Detroit Hip-hop". Detroit artists are interviewed often. It's no wonder!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is cool

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should get some European planners to design the city and pump money back into it. Americans are very behind. Hahahaha.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo wrote, "What has Chicago contributed to the world..."

First sustained & controlled nuclear reaction, the world's first skyscraper (Home Insurance Building, 1885), the vacuum cleaner, Braille typewriter, rollerskate, softball, zipper, Twinkie, Cracker Jack, open heart surgery, elevated railway, electric washing machine, pinball machine, spray paint, Tootsie Roll, Ferris Wheel, etc., etc.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10631
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad I beat the rush of all the "cool/hipsters" and was here before the "Cool Cities" label. If I wasn't, I couldn't wear around my "Urban Pioneer" name tag. ROTFLMMFAO!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4073
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

MAYBE blues... but when I think blues, I think of New Orleans, not Chicago

That's a shame because Maxwell Street and Chess Records are really responsible for bringing the blues genre to a wider audience.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, there is a reason why Chicago is the central business district of the Midwest. NOT Detroit.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not disagreeing that Chicago has a bazillion things more than Detroit has, today. That's obvious. I am simply trying to point out that outside of the "bubble of disappointment" that is Michigan, Detroit is much more recognizable than Chicago. VERY few Europeans understand that Chicago is rivaling NYC to become the next major metropolis in the U.S. They know pop culture and love Hip-hop and love cars and love "gritty city life" and well.... that's Detroit.

I am NOT saying that EVERY European longs to visit and vacation in Detroit, but they know it. Many more will know it better than Chicago, certainly. U.S.muscle cars...in Chicago? hell no! that's 100% Detroit, baby. Eminem? Chicago? nuh-uh! D-E-T-R-O-I-T!

Give it a couple years and the fashion will go somewhere else, but boy, Detroit sure missed the boat to capitalize on all this great publicity it gets. Sorry. Good or Bad. Detroit is a name everyone knows.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the Turin Olympic Games?

"Turin: the Detroit of Italy".

How many times did we hear that? To most of the world Detroit = cars.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit will always be the "cool thing" to some little tiny niche culture of people. will it be that way to a larger cross-section of groups and culture's anytime soon? probably not for a great while

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitduo - what detroit rappers, other that eminem, are big in europe?

ltorivia - it doesn't matter where the planners are from if we have the same self-serving leadership.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10638
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:04 am:

quote:

Hello all,

I moved to the country less than 2 years ago and I thought I could bring some insight here.

quote:

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.40.99.146

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:46 pm:
Hello all,

I've been reading the forum on a daily basis for the past 2 years and I finally decided to post my first thread that you will all deem, I hope, very important for the future of Detroit.

I am a student at the University of Michigan (School of Diplomacy) and I've been living in southeast MI for 3 years now (moved from France).

LESS THAN 2 years or 3 years, which is it? Before you claimed you had been here 3 years, told us how anti-Detroit DeVos was, yet couldn't really speak in regards to Granholm....even though you claimed to be well informed politically due to your education program at U of M....yet just the same didn't know squat about the current governor? At least scribble down notes as to this fictional charactor you wish to be. How long before you tell us you've lived in Detroit for OVER 3 years and give us some input on what you've learned during your time here?

Callin' out the bullshit as I see it.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS,

SS, I first moved here in Oct of 2003. Then moved back to France for 6 months.
Back again in March of 2004.
France again from June 2004 to December 2004.

You know, it really depends on how I feel... If I do the correct math, it's 3 years now (next month), and if I take off all the time I spent flying back and forth to France, we're talking a about a little 2 years.

God, some people really blow me away with their nitty gritties.... phew!

By the way SS, hopefully our meeting with Gannon will take place this Friday for some coffee or whatever. People like yourself are more than welcome to show up. I would really love to talk directly to you.

Sheesh, always accused of bullshit. Just show up this Friday, and then you will tell me if I'm bullshitting or not. If you prove that I am, then i will go fuck myself ok??

Chitaku

Post Number: 766
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, isn't it expensive moving so much?

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dude, isn't it expensive moving so much?

Now that is funny!!!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Supersport the next Metrodetguy?

(Message edited by BearInABox on September 20, 2006)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sheesh, always accused of bullshit. Just show up this Friday, and then you will tell me if I'm bullshitting or not. If you prove that I am, then i will go fuck myself ok??

Aha ...

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dream on- it's more like to become a training ground for military commandos-

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.