Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit has Cancer... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading Jack Lessonberry's column today in MetroTimes really got to me.

Yes...I know the auto industry is sucking right now.

Yes...I know Detroit is dependent on the auto industry.

But I've never heard it put this way before...and it really got to me.

-----

"Imagine that you are feeling a little down, nothing terrible, but you decide to go to the doctor and get things checked out. The news is stunningly bad. Turns out that you have cancer. Bad cancer.

You will soon be very sick, much sicker than now, no matter what you do. Your only hope of survival lies in having a couple of your limbs cut off. Then the rest of you will have to endure years of awful radiation and chemotherapy.

That's still no guarantee you will live. Even if you do, you will never be the same again, and your family will need another major breadwinner. How would you feel, as you walk out of the doctor's office into the bright sunshine?

Well, guess what. That's us: the state of Michigan." (BTW...I read "Metro Detroit" when he says state of michigan)

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=9658

-----

As an investor, both financially and emotionally, in the City and its future, to read this report, that this is the definite end, really sucks. Yes he gives some lame false hope with the possible election of a Dem. candidate to beat Knollenberg, but it's not enough to make me not want to put a gun to my head. Maybe it's that I've dealt with terminal illneses before in my family. Maybe I'm in denial...maybe there is no hope for the City and Metro Detroit. Maybe Michael Jackson and Diana Ross will come skipping through my neighborhood in 10 years (in costume) and get attacked by hoodlums running out from delapidated, abandoned factories and taken to the Wicked Witche's castle. (Ok...too much information)

Maybe I've got my head in the clouds, but I think this is Bullshit. I'm sick of Jack Lessonberry and his boo-hoo, Detroit-is-dead mantras. If Detroit is so f'ing sucky...then move to Chicago or New York...or Podunk anywhere where you think it's cool. Anymore, he's sounding like a broken record...the same one that plays out in the Detroit News and Freep Editorial Boardrooms.

ARGH! Rant over. Any fellow ranters?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it makes you feel any better, he could have left out the entire cancer bit and it would have read the same.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cancer bit gives it that certain sense of finality...no hope...that sickens me. It also makes me angry.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold on Detroit is only mentioned once in this article and that is as part of the "Detroit Free Press" artilce that is strangly referring to Knollenberg as Toilet Joe.

You folks are way to sensitive. All this is saying is welcome back to the rustbelt. Come on, have you had your heads in the sand? I don't see anything here that upsets me (well besides Knolleberg's obsession with flush toilets?)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.