Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ypsilanti, Airport City? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw this recently in NYTimes.

Living at the Crossroads, Working There, Too

Seven miles east, Detroit Metro Airport is also welcoming more passengers. Last year, Detroit Metro handled 522,000 takeoffs and landings, and a record 36.4 million passengers; a $1.2 billion main terminal has helped make the airport one of the 20-busiest in the world. Detroit Metro accounts for $7.6 billion in economic activity and 71,000 jobs, two-thirds of them in Wayne County, according to an economic impact study published this year by the University of Michigan at Dearborn.

Willow Run and Detroit Metro, economists say, are rare bright spots in a regional economy hurt by diminishing personal incomes, declining home values and rising joblessness, much of it connected to the shrinking American auto industry. For that reason, civic leaders here, with help from planners at the University of Michigan, are proposing to invigorate the economy by taking advantage of the growing business climate for fast global travel and trade, and the 25,000 acres of undeveloped and underdeveloped land that lies between the two airports.

Here's some positive news out of Michigan. Without mass transit though, it's hard to see this bit of prospective growth benefiting Detroit directly.

Is what's good for Wayne County, good for Detroit?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This paragraph from the article is the key:

quote:

A crucial task, Mr. Birru and Mr. Brosnan say, is convincing southeast Michigan to reject its master plans and zoning ordinances. Airport City, which could encompass 39 square miles, 450,000 residents and 350,000 jobs, will require a regional master land use plan, common architectural standards and zoning that mandates the look and location of buildings.

Otherwise, all you'll end up with is a clusterfuck of sprawl, not unlike the disaster in Fairfax County, VA near Dulles Airport. I know I tend to be cynical, but I don't foresee the local keepers of zoning regs changing their mantra of "sprawl = growth" anytime soon. Sad to say, but Michigan isn't exactly known for being progressive these days, let alone capable of what is essentially building a brand-new, large, densely-populated city.

If anything, such an undertaking would most likely drain more resources from Detroit instead of benefitting the city directly.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an extensive article on the proposed "Airport City" that appeared in the Metro Times on March 8, 2006. I believe it was the cover story. Its very detailed and goes through pros and cons.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=8957

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it woudn't benefit Detroit directly since it wouldn't be built within the city limits but wouldn't the growth and dollars collected by the county theoretically help the county on a whole?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Dick Devos' "Michigan Turnaround Plan":

"Michigan has a unique opportunity in the transportation hub of Southeast Michigan. In Wayne County there are two world-class airports: Detroit Metro is an international passenger airport while Willow Run is an under-utilized freight airport. Along with rail, water, and road connections, these airports could make Southeast Michigan very attractive for companies looking to sell their products around the world. More must be done to highlight and enhance this asset."

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But then that would mean that Ann Arbor would be a suburb of.... Airport City! :-)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to City Airport?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4367
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Ann Arbor is not a suburb. Airport schmereport, city schmitty, Ann Arbor is not a suburb. Recently, jjaba ate a Zingerman's pastrami sandwich at a table on a red brick street. Since when do suburbs have red brick streets named Detroit?

jjaba takes the bait. Gistok, feel jjaba's pain.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba can remember flying Capital Airlines from Willow Run, at a time when the other airport was called Wayne Major Airport, a little terminal, a circular auto driveway and a grass runway.

jjaba.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and a flight to Chicago took three hours and cost a nickle.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, come on. that was funny!

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I smiled

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is definitely an area that could use A LOT of help with development. It's gotten out of control, but it still has potential (unlike Macomb County which is just a mess). It'd be great to see some powerful people -- Democrat, Republican, etc. -- come together to make this happen.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smithers, get me tickets for the 3 o'clock autogyro departing from Idlewild Airport.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485: Whatever happened to City Airport. <<< Great question.

This same question has been asked by the few who still do fly out of City Airport.
I know for fact that KK uses City Airport whenever a free flight is offered from one of the few remaining corporate owned jets.
Another question asked, why does G.M. and the Ilitch owned jets use Pontiac Airport? Why not use Detroit City to park their aircraft? It‘s a lot closer, why drive all the way out to Waterford.

Detroit City Airport was once called the "East Side Jewel". Now renamed ( Colman A. Young International Airport ) this is what some of the out of town pilots say now.

From Kevin Smith on 14-Sep-2006
Service was great! crew car in good shape, wipers worked great, line guys helped with all of our requests on time. Fuel price--way overpriced!!!

From Carlos Roca on 28-Jul-2006
I flew my Premier 1 Jet into this hole and would never do it again. Rude staff, horrible facility in the commercial terminal with no services. All the previous postings about how horrible this place is are correct. To make matters worse the most expensive Jet A we have ever purchased. We called 10 minutes out and they said they had a crew car for us, we show up right on schedule and no crew car, just excuses. I would rather walk from TX than fly into this hole of a FBO!!!

From Rich Milazzo CFII on 21-Jun-2006
I flew my Skyhawk into Signature for a business meeting on a Tuesday morning. A lineman was right out to meet me and direct me to a parking spot after clear directions from the tower. The FBO was temporarily located in the main terminal and was clean and had everything I needed. The staff was very professional and I was in a crew car and on my way in minutes after landing. When I returned early my plane was toped off and ready to go. After filing, I was back at IAG in record time for a Detroit trip, thanks to Signature's efficient operation.

From Paul Wehr on 13-Jun-2006
Sounds like the turbines are taking a beating here, but I found their treatment of my Piper Arrow fairly accommodating. I came in for a meeting downtown, and bought 7 gal of 100LL, which waived a $25 ramp fee, for a total bill of $36.97. I was provided a nice crew car for what turned out to be almost 7 hours. Crew and staff were polite and helpful. The terminal is apparently a temporary location while "re-doing the hangar at the SE corner.

From Ranon Amundson on 14-Apr-2006
Went in to DET and Signature on 4/13/06 in a Piper Meridian. They are in the airline terminal right now. What a mess. The facility is old, dirty, and broken down. One end of a desk in the makeshift pilots lounge is held up by a stack of old magazines. Wow, talk about class! We took the max fuel allowed by our W&B for that trip but where still charged an $80 handling fee, a $10 landing fee, and $6.21 a gallon for Jet-A! The staff was polite but not eager to help. Over all it was a very bad experience. STAY AWAY FROM SIGNATURE!

From Adam Van Dusen on 08-Apr-2006
Landed there April 6th PC12. Customs here is slower then mollases and they process all your documents when you arrive and never do so prior, so you have to wait for them to arrive and then to complete paperwork (about 20-30 mins). As for the Signature, I have been here twice and not once was I met by a lineman at customs. The flight planning area is lacking and like a previous comment it is behind the check in counter which is kinda odd. The have the pilotbrief computers with a phone but the setup is pretty basic but useful. Fuel is extremely high here also... The highlight to my Signature experience was the customer service agent on arrival. She was utmost helpful and informative. She gave me ideas on where to eat, how long in the morning traffic to get back to the airport from the hotel and also they gave us a crew car overnight! This was such a bonus as we could go out for dinner as our hotel was in the boonies.

From Chad Butler on 31-Mar-2006
What a joke. $6.17 for Jet A and $190 landing fee if we didn't buy 70 gallons of fuel. FBO is a terminal and you must climb over the "baggage check-in" counter to access the weather computer. Free popcorn is the only plus...And it was very old. Pretty typical Signature experience.

From John Borgman on 20-Jan-2006
Called the FBO to verify landing fees. Was told if you stay less than 6 hours and purchase fuel the fee is waived for my Bonanza. Fuel is expensive but the line service was great and there was a crew car available as well! Older facility but nice inside!

From Brian Jewell on 09-Oct-2005
Never again!! Charged $190 "landing" fee, $25 ramp fee, and the Jet A was $6.17 a gallon. (King Air) All together, we paid $770 for 90 gallons of a gas. The service is negligible. Not even a single hello from the line guys. The only service we got was chocks under the nose gear. The FBO is dirty, noisy. At least other places that charge you over $5 a gallon have a clean FBO, responsive employees and overall great service. You do not find that here.

From Greg Spatz on 20-Jul-2005
Warning: Watch out for Signature Flight Support when choosing an FBO for parking or fuel. If you have a twin and don't buy a certain quantity of fuel they will charge you a $135.00 ramp fee. I understand singles have high ramp fees also. I was denied access to my aircraft for not paying a ramp fee at KDET. These are the highest I have seen anywhere.

From Greg Spatz on 07-Jul-2005
I rented a car for a 4 hour trip to Detroit. I was charged $135 parking fee or no access to my aircraft for the return flight to my base. Be careful these are not honest people.

From Dick Henrickson on 15-Jun-2005
Not so hot of a facility. Didn't buy any fuel. Was charged $52.00 ramp/handling fee for a two hour layover for my Baron.

From Mark D. Gehring on 22-Apr-2005
All I have to say is that Signature is way over price. I had to pay 190.00 handling fee and the only thing they handled was the chalks, and I had to remove them myself. And that was after I paid 4.15 a gal for Jet-A. Oh yah, I didn't buy over 170 gal of Jet-A so they would not waive the handling fee.

From Brad Fox on 15-Apr-2005
This is the second time I have flown into Signature from Cleveland, and have found the staff to be very helpful. Although fuel is expensive (blame the economic times), the superior service outshadows the cost. The controllers have a great sense of humor, and even the run down conditions of the exterior of the FBO exhibit a certain sense of the old past. Check out the old control tower on top of the building. I love flying there and look forward to my next trip! Keep up the good work Signature!!!!!

From Jim North on 01-Dec-2004
I found Signature at DET to be very helpful. Pricy as all Signature's are, but service was excellent. Picked me up at the hotel, put the aircraft in the hanger overnight.

From Ed Winn on 17-Nov-2004
Stopped overnight Nov.13. $22 service charge not buying fuel and $8 to park for one night. Even had to provide my own ropes. The day of departure the guard didn't want to let us in the parking lot to leave. Very bad averall experince.

From Bill Giannetti on 17-Jan-2004
Signature's new Hyperpower fuel program will is so good it ADD $30,000 a year to our cost of operations! The handling fee of $225 for our medium jet is outrageous given the terrible facilities at DET. People are nice and try to help and the crew cars are great but DET is an embarrassment to the Signature organization as far as facilities go. You don't mind handling fees when there is some sense of value for the dollar, but you do not get that at Signature DET.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDET/SIGNATURE#c

Why not spend money on a viable, close to everything working airport?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should just turn city airport into the surrounding neighborhoods, it really serves no prurpose at all.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.