Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What's the Story with these Detroit Sites? - 3 » What's the Story with these Detroit Sites? - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I wander about taking pictures, I run across a lot of sites that beg the question of this thread. So here are some.

1. I believe this was the former North Detroit General Hospital in Hamtramck. Right? Wrong? What is its story now?

North Detroit General Hospital

2. These modern style townhouse stand across the street from St. Albertus and were always occupied and an live spot in an otherwise urban praire setting. Why are they closed and boarded up?

St. Albertus townhouses

3. This is the abandoned Western YMCA across from Clark Park. It's neon sign is still on and has been for months. How Come?

Western YMCA

4. What is the story on this old bank? It would seem to be a prime location for loftin of the upper floors.

Bank on Jefferson

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: I have been ardently wondering about the Western YMCA for some time now? I hope someone can update. Who owns this and is letting it fall to such ruin? This was/still may be such a jewel and it is still so needed by this community of so many young families and newly-arrriving young, professional people.

I know that the Downtown Y is very beautiful and an object of pride for Detroiters - but did the YMCA org have to sacrifice this other wonderful place for the new building and then let it go down this way? Seems so irresponible and careless to me. I won't join the Downtown Y.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.) that is the phoenix homes housing project. built in the 1970's as subsidized housing along side the "model city" homes built on st. aubin and leland street. they were fully occupied until the recent take-over of HUD 2(?) years ago. after the take-over/"cleaning house" of all the properties in the city, it was determined that this project was not cost effective and all tenants were evicted leaving the empty complex that you see now.

currently there are several faith-based initiatives focus on bringing new affordable housing into the area banded together by a developer familiar with the area and facilitating tax credit and affordable housing projects happen. ironically, it is the same developer who built the phoenix homes originally. he is trying to obtain this project to renovate and reopen it. keep an eye on modeld in the near future, there might be a feature about this whole area.

here is an article on development, from the detroit free press, about it's initial development in 1977: residential development left

residential development right

Rsa

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry about the poor quality; it was the only way i could get them to post. the picture of phoenix is on the first page, lower right hand corner. the blurb about the project is at the end of the text on the second page. it reads:

quote:

In the Forest Park area east of the Medical Center, the land is rapidly being cleared for a totally rebuilt neighborhood similar to Elmwood Park. Near there, several housing developments are already finished, including the 49 unit Phoenix Apartments sponsored by the Detroit Development Corporation, and another 126 townhouses at the Friendship Forest Park Development.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey RSA => that first scan has Ransom Gillis on it, can you post a close up of that image perhaps ? ?

Looks like the '77 rennovation never got anywhere with RG, 20 years later and its merely mothballed. At least they did what they did.

That YMCA building has an incredible Pewabic tiled pool inside.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Western YMCA hung on for years partly because the state of Michigan rented out part of the upper floors as a halfway house.
Although some of us grumbled about having a halfway house in the area, it was actually well run, and gave folks coming out of jail a structured transition to being out in society (i.e. "get up and go to work, mf!")
It was phased out and closed in 2000 when after the "truth in sentancing" law was passed. Another great job by the Engler admin!
The Y tried to quietly hand the building over to Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries, who planned to run a shelter for drug addicts in the building. They tried to do this without any consultation of people in the neighborhood, who already felt as if SWD was becoming the new "Social Services Ghetto".
We, the residents of the area, raised a huge fuss, and picketed a YMCA board meeting.
Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries quickly backed out of the deal, and the building was sold to the Nikki's Lofts Sluml....er, ...entrepreneurs.
They plan to convert the building to lofts, at some vague time to be announced in the next fifty years.
That's the last I know about it, and a disclaimer: my info may be out of date.

Rsa

Post Number: 936
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3.) hasn't there been talk of this ymca being renovated into a community center with apartments above? i can't think of the development company that has taken this project on, but i believe we've talked about it before, even within the past year i believe.

Rsa

Post Number: 937
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4.) the raymond james building, formerly the rooney and company building (purchased from bank one ne. NBD in 1999) currently sits empty. i seem to remember that raymond james relocated their remaining employees out of there late last year and the current owner is looking for tenants.

[somebody correct me if i'm wrong] the detroit stock exchange was located directly behind this building. i think this building has always been dedicated to stock borkers and analysts...

Rsa

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mauser; the article really doesn't say anything about it, but to get ahold of a better image and read the article in full, here's the link: http://hotfudgedetroit.com/php BB/viewtopic.php?t=1537

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That YMCA would be a perfect Kronk Gym.
And since the lights are still on, the scrappers haven't gotten to it,.......yet.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4360
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work RSA. Few know Detroit like Rockstararchitect.

jjaba.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa what did I miss with #4? How recent is that photo, Lowell? Did all the windows seriously get blown-out like that? I remember earlier this year that building was all lit up.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) The hospital is in Detroit. The pedestrian bridge however leads to a building that is in Hamtramck (accross the street). As far as I know, there is no new activity for this building. Small hospital continue to die off and get replaced by larger ones.

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to swim and play in Gym class at that WMCA, back in the day at Open Door Christian School/Baptist Academy, back in the days when Larry Dennis was the Pastor at Open Door Baptist Church, It was on Dearborn Street in Delray... (Building is now owned by Peter's Rock Missonary Baptist Church) When I was 10-12 years old. man, I feel old. :-)

I caught a bad case of planters warts there too. thought I was gonna have to have them cut off my feet. but the Lord healed them. and I didn't have to have it done. I just woke up on day and they were gone. I was shocked. :-) it was a great place to play basketball. (even though, I couldn't dribble worth a hoot!) I was disappointed when I noticed it was closed.

We also used to play on the swings over there at the Delray Rec Center. and used to have to small ol' wayne soap co... Phew! It stunk.... :-) Glad they closed that nasty smelling place.

FYI, Open Door Baptist Church in 1989, Moved over on Martin Street, into a building that was a Bar. were there until 1993, when Chris Warden Resigned and went to Pastor in Texas. The Church ended up merging with Downtown Fundamental Baptist on Cicotte Street. They took the name... I ain't fond of that Pastor. Bit of a undeseriable person. Just the way I feel, different Church too. Not like the old Open Door that I remember.

Ah.............memories of the old days in the D. and Delray.

-Scofield

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any information on the sites, I am from out of town.

Perhaps a good re-use of the hospital would be for a bunch of baritrics surgeons and plastic surgeons pool their finances and use it as their offices/surgery center.

There would be area for doctor's offices, surgeries, recovery area, patient rooms (most patients would be ready to leave within a couple of days after surgery).

It would be put to use and not torn down, generating tax money. I can't imagine it would cost much to purchase the building and to rehab. It looks like it's in pretty good shape from the outside.

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fourth picture, the raymond james building, doesn't have it's windows blown out.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Wait, what ?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a bit hard to tell in the photo, but the Raymond James building *does* have all its windows in. They're simply dark tinted and don't reflect well.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree ^^ they are not blown out. It is just the camera angle / time of day.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Detroit stock exchange was located directly north of the Raymond James building. It was razed for a parking structure for 150 W. Jefferson. Some of the Assyrian style relief sculptures from the façade of the stock exchange building were saved and used as decorative elements in the building of 150 W. Jefferson.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for that clarification...I thought something may have gone seriously wrong in the last month...that photo tricked me.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Western Y is now owned by some facet of the Kresge Foundation, I thought. I also believed it closed later than 2000 because I was a member there later than 2000. I believe that it closed in Sept 2001, possibly later.

The weight lifters there, who mostly did upper body/arms, dubbed me the "Squat King" due to my outlifting them by some 50 to 100 pounds in an ass-on-the-floor full squat. When younger, I sprinted and always had strong thighs.

I really miss the place as I worked out there almost every day, and there were handball courts for racketball.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Raymond James/former Roney Building was the home of Standard Federal Savings before it moved to Troy, became a bank and then was acquired and changed names several times. Raymond James bought a building in Southfield (supposedly they couldn't find a suitable location in Detroit - at least that was the excuse given the press) and is moving everyone out of the building on Jefferson.

I have often thought it would be a good spot for lofts. It even has an attached parking garage which seems to be a major concern for lenders looking to finance a residential project. The downstairs lobby looks to be in beautiful shape with original details and no excessive "modernization." And yes, all the windows are intact.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Detroit General Hospital was open until the late 80's, early 90's. Then it was closed for a short time and reopened as Greater Detroit Hospital.

Unfortunately it didn't last long and was shut down and sits in its current state. There is a clinic operating out of the office complex across the street that is run by Wayne County.

Last I heard the property is up for sale. This hospital is special to me, as it was where I was born!

The exterior was featured in the movie 8 Mile.

Detroitej72

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all never cease to amaze me.

Great info!

later - naturalsister

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Naturalsister, you all should get jobs at the Detroit History Museum or something. Amazing.

Also, in the handout from Hot Fudge, did you all see the "updated Tiger Stadium" with its "escalator ramps"? haha Oh, the 1970s, what a card.

Karenka
Username: Karenka

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There continue to be rumors about the impending sale of the hospital building--for a senior extended care facility, a medical clinic, even a school--but nothing has come to fruition so far. The building is a real sore spot for Hamtramck, looming over our border and now having been taken over by druggies.

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Dennis Keffallinos bought that YMCA...whatever he says he's going to do with it, trust me, he won't. (I might be a jaded employee of his company...)

Barnesfoto: I can give you all of his contact information. Please continue to pressure his company!

Cherry
Username: Cherry

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hospital has taken a turn for the worse over the past month. Most of the windows are either open or missing, and I believe scrappers are pulling down ceilings in order to get at copper pipes. Racks of medical files and open file cabinets with papers hanging out of them are visible from the street.

According to the realtor whose sign is on the building, an interested buyer made an offer of $1.3 million dollars a year ago, and the City of Detroit and Wayne County Treasurer have been holding up the sale. The proceeds are to be split between them for back taxes and they disagree about how the money should be divided.

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The No. 3 pic of the YMCA across from Clark Park was still in operation when I left Detroit in '88. I worked for a time at Latino Outreach at Fort St. and W. Grand, and we walked the Girl Scouts over to the Y from there to swim on certain days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.