Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Dowtown Detroit Entertainment Zone « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a college student who dosent sleep so I caught this little gem of an article on freep.com early this morning.

Local columnists
ROCHELLE RILEY: Downtown entertains a new idea

September 22, 2006
BY ROCHELLE RILEY

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

A group of Detroit businessmen who own or operate theaters, restaurants and hotels have joined forces to create a well-marked, well-lit entertainment zone that will offer ticket packages to entice metro Detroiters downtown to have fun.

The 22-member Entertainment District Association includes some of Detroit's heaviest lifters who are answering the post-Super Bowl call to keep downtown vibrant when opposing football teams aren't in town.

"This isn't about bringing back Hudson's," Vincent Paul, executive director of the Detroit Music Hall, said Thursday. "It's about ... coming downtown without a plan. ...

"It's our contention that we do a pretty good job down here on a daily basis. You can come downtown without a plan, and we will entertain your socks off. There's always a show running. ... There's always excellent food being served."

The association includes owners and directors of the Detroit Athletic Club, the Detroit Opera House, Cheli's Chili Bar, the Gem & Century theaters, Harmonie Park restaurants and the Fox Theatre and Comerica Park. The association plans to work with the Downtown Detroit Partnership and police to help Detroiters celebrate their home.

As thrilling as the district sounds, I'm even happier that it could become a catalyst for regional mass transit.

Buoyed by the success of the Foxtown Tiger Train -- 5,000 people requested the 400 $29 packages that included a train ride from the suburbs, a Tigers ticket and a snack -- Christopher Ilitch is planning train packages to Red Wings games.

"In one humble pizzamaker's opinion, I'll give you my two cents," said Ilitch, president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings Inc. "With a few refinements and enhancements, we think the existing system can be more productive and efficient."

He said adjusting the Amtrak schedule, sprucing up stations and adding parking in Royal Oak and Birmingham might increase traffic. And adding wireless Internet access to the trains means people eventually could work as they ride downtown.

He said business owners in the district -- bounded by the Fisher Freeway, Grand River Avenue and Gratiot Avenue -- could follow the lead of his brother Atanas, president of Olympia Development, and the Foxtown Tigers Train. Special packages could include dinner and a show, or a football game and a hotel stay.

"We think more can be done," Christopher Ilitch said, "and I encourage hoteliers and restaurateurs to create packages like we did ... to expose more people to what exists."

Ilitch, who is as politically savvy as his father, told the Detroit Regional Chamber board Tuesday that a regional rail system would not compete with Detroit's automakers. "All the suburban passengers still need cars to get to these stations so it won't take away from the car business and our car economy."

And how great would it be for people to see what's really happening downtown?

For instance, Paul plans to make Music Hall a vibrant home for jazz and such showcases as the season-opening Etta James/Funk Brothers show next Saturday. He wants Music Hall to be what it once was, a showcase for musicians, and what it could be, a potential starting point for new shows on the road to Broadway.

Music and sports have always united Detroiters. So with a downtown entertainment district, we get a twofer: More to do and an easier way to get there.

Together.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006609220358

Sounds like a good enough idea and I like how they suggest how improved transit could be a result of this new zone. Any thoughts?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4471
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds geniunely exciting. Simply repackaging downtown could make a huge difference.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6903
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Ilitch is on board, it means he wants the City to pay for it. I wouldn't line up at the train depot just yet.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advertise! advertise! advertise!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6904
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't "Dowtown" in Midland?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spoke with Atanas Ilitch recently, the man behind the Tiger Train. He said the premise behind that event was that he was packinging together things that already existed: $10 Amtrack tickets, $10 Tiger tickets, and a shuttle ride from the train station (which he charged $9 for, so he could spruce up the city's trolleys a bit). That said, I don't think the Ilitches somehow believe the city is going to pay for this. The idea is that the group putting it together can break even or profit by just putting things together which exist already.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whats in Midland, they don't advertise.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$9 to ride DDOT from the station to Comerica, then back?? Wow that is three times the going rate! Those trolley busses are still DDOT busses.

What a great suburban tax to support transit!

I wish I could ride the Tiger Train, but I live 10 minutes from the stadium, so why go to Birmingham?

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thing. Only parts of downtown that does have lfe in it is the Financial district and the eastern portion of the entertainment district. People can stay in the suburbs and do that instead of coming all the way into downtown. Truly, in order for a downtown to be lively, you would need a vibrant COMMERCE district, DUH! The local busineses that are in the suburbs need to step up to the plate and help downtown grow. I will list some...... Rock Financial, major (first run) movie
corporation, Grocery Stores or Department Stores (shopping), Kmart, before the dummies merged with Sears in Chicago, news stations, radio stations, Hotels corporations, and last but not least, the petty national/world events commitee.

Unfortunately, we live in a imperfect world. So the chances of all these things happening are 100 to 1 (just as one odd).

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The $9 is because he had to fix the DDOT trolleys, which were not being used and had fallen into less than beautiful states.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Who woulda thunk?

Restaurants and theaters and hotels all in the same place. And a train to get you there! What a concept. In some circles, this is called a "city".

New idea, my behind. Slow news day, Rochelle?

Dtown1

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A city usually would need a commerce to set it off though. Detroit is very limited when it come to commerce.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any pictures of the DDOT trolleys?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDOT uses standard rubber tire trolleys that are operated through CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) fuel.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4472
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown, why do you keeping harping about commerce, and what is your definition of the word?

Dtown1

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think LMichigan- Corporations, Comercial businesses, etc. That's basically what commerce is. Most suburbanites want to shop at nation stores such as the men's Warehouse or Nordstrom. There isnt anything downtown like that and their will never be anything in downtown like that. Most downtowns in the country are filled with commercial business and business folks. That's why they name downtowns CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICTS. Their isnt a lot of business occuring downtown, only financial and entertainment issues. As I said, suburbanites can stay in the suburbs for those things. People need a job and if their jobs were to be in a CBD, then they would have to commute into the CBD, thus bringing folks into a dead CBD and the folks that are in the CBD will be the business for the commercial businesses. However, we can't get nothing working when it comes to corporate jobs. I respect Compuware because they had the balls to support the city instead of building at their Troy location. I respect Price Waterhouse Coopers because they decided to move their building into Detroit instead of the suburbs. Also, in order to have commerce downtown, the people working for commerce don't want homeless people everywhere. So the city must house these folks with the proper care and attention and then sort of create an apperance that will appeal corporations.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown----the consummate optimist......

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4473
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown, downtown office workers aren't what's going to draw in major retail, it will be downtown residents and regular/semi-regular businesses. I thought that was kind of a known quantity; a given.

Dtown1

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there arent residents that live in the downtown area because there isn't nothing to offer residents downtown. Limited work, limited places to purchase necessities. You need crowds to lure businesses in certain places. Malls such as Eastland and Universal usually arent very crowded malls. So the limited crowds equal less business. and less business leads to abandonment and demolition. That of course is the reason why there isnt much development on the NW side of downtown because of the lack of attractions to create crowds.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4475
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are 6,000 + residents in the immediate CBD and growing. Then, there are the tens-of-thousands of regular/semi-regular visitors downtown, and growing. Office workers account for the relatively short daytime trade. I don't know what you're talking about. I'm really not following your train of thought. More downtown workers is always a good thing, but the proof of the pudding is attracting enough permanent residents and after-work visitors to keep it going. Then, you have to differentiate between the different types of retail:

1. Those that are only open for the daytime office worker trade, which doesn't need to be priority.

2. Those open for only the nighttime crowd.

3. Regional destination shopes for visitors (i.e. big box, national chains...)

4. Residential retail to service the permanent residents (i.e. drug stores, grocery stores, convience shops...)

Etc...Now, shoppers from one group can be shoppers in the other group, as well.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dtown1

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:45 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Well there arent residents that live in the downtown area because there isn't nothing to offer residents downtown. Limited work, limited places to purchase necessities. You need crowds to lure businesses in certain places. Malls such as Eastland and Universal usually arent very crowded malls. So the limited crowds equal less business. and less business leads to abandonment and demolition. That of course is the reason why there isnt much development on the NW side of downtown because of the lack of attractions to create crowds.

Wow and all this time i thought I lived downtown. And the rest of the hundreds of people I see on a daily basis coming in and out just MY building don't live there either ri....?

Dtown1

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"2. Thosse open for only the nighttime crowd"

3. Regional destination shopes for visitors i.e. big box, national chains...)

Ther are 6,000 + residents in the immediate CBD and growing. Then there are the tens-of thousands of regular/semi-regular visitors downtown, and growing. Office Workers account for the relatively short daytime hours"

Glad you mentioned all of this LMichigan.

-Most businesses are ope during the daytime hours and as someone else stated, someone who works al day doesn't want to deal with the hassle of a shopping mall when they could walk form their job to a shopping destination. Usually, office workers, particulary women, does most of the trading during the daylight hours, and the daytime hours is when most businesses get their money.

-most national chains that remain downtown arent open for 24 hours due to the isues of the public in the CBD at night.

The visitors that do come to Detroit is mostly based on the ENTERTAINMENT that the city has. However, shopping would help a lot because that will keep the visitors in downtown and not at a ritzy hotel in the suburbs. Detroit could very well create a fabulous shopping experiece for visitors to stay in the city. However, we would need to all work together to get that and that just wont happen with all the segregation in this day and age.

Most of the residents in Downtown Detroit probably can't afford to do any big spending that the box stores want. so that's just hurting the businesses and forcing them to go out of business. Businesses like the Middle Class residents in the suburbs because that provide them with the proper amount of money they need and more.

-How does that connect to the corporate end of it. The commute in Metro Detroit can get hactic at times. So the suburbanites (middle and Upper Class) would want to move closer to their jobs. If their were jobs downtown, people would want to move closer to downtown to have a much less hassle with rush hour commute. Then when businesses figure out that there are big spenders near the CBd, then the businesses would move closer to them to keep the dough coming in. Then the former suburbanites wil come acustomed to the urban life and then eventually blend in. Also, they would go to the shopping closest to them (CBD). So this wold create a viable dowtown in this main field of a (CBD).

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"-most national chains that remain downtown arent open for 24 hours due to the isues of the public in the CBD at night."

Even in manhattan if you go to midtown most chain stores arent open 24 hours a day because most people arent trying to shop past a certain hour of night. The idea of this entertainment zone is to draw more people downtown to be ENTERTAINED not for shopping. People spend just as much money downtown in bars, clubs, and resturants as they would in alot of stores. Besides chain stores arent what make downtowns vibrant and I beleive that is what this group is aiming for is to create a sense of vibrancy downtown.

"shopping would help a lot because that will keep the visitors in downtown and not at a ritzy hotel in the suburbs. Detroit could very well create a fabulous shopping experiece for visitors to stay in the city."

While true, one problem your forgeting is that there is no ritzy hotel downtown for the visitors to stay in and most visitors downtown are here for matters of buisness not pleasure. This entertainment zone would be great if it gets going ,because it would draw more people here for vacations and they tend to spend more money that would eventially entice retail to locate here. With more hotels to hold more visitors you would then have more stores to cater to the visitors and residents. Thats why the BC project is mostly very good for downtown.

"Most of the residents in Downtown Detroit probably can't afford to do any big spending that the box stores want."

Your making some pretty interesting asumptions most of the residents alot of these new developments are built for are hardly poor go to modeld.com and look at some of the rents for downtown condos or apartments. they easily shoot up into the thousands.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on September 22, 2006)

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on September 22, 2006)

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great idea. No matter how down and out downtown Detroit may have gotten, there is no denying the fact that it is still a first rate Entertaiment centre, and never lost its status as the regions cultural centrel, even due to suburban flight.

There are things only downtown can have, like the Opera House, a very large live theatre scene, unique restaurants, clubs, etc. Downtown can really market this and I am glad they are thinking about it.

And overall Detroit has an amazing live theatre scene. It really should be better known then it is.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wow and all this time i thought I lived downtown. And the rest of the hundreds of people I see on a daily basis coming in and out just MY building don't live there either ri...."
----------------6 or 7 thousand people living in a downtown area is not that dynamic, especially considering the metro population of the Detroit area. I am afraid to say that much of this article is a pipe-dream until more people are residing in the downtown area. And....not sure if that is going to happen given Detroit's economic state and its myriad of problems.

Dtown1

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true Jjw. Entertainment is one way to look at it when it comes to downtown. While our downtown is all for entertainment, most downtowns has commerce. Entertainment isn't everything. Entertainment can be in the suburbs...... Cranbrook, Malls, Fun Centers, Bars, Restaurants, etc. You yall are overshadowing the fact that a downtown needs commerce in order to be a downtown. Any town can have two sports stadiums, restaurants and bars. Financial is commerce to a certain extent, however, people don't have to commute downtow to do that. So I don't think the entertainment zone is enough to bring people into a CBD. People can stay at home and entertain theirselves.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add one, financially well off, soon to be new resident of the CBD. Even with the lack of certain amenities and the excess of homeless people living on the streets, Downtown Detroit has lured me in.

6001 residents and growing.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to be here. Thanks.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That of course is the reason why there isnt much development on the NW side of downtown because of the lack of attractions to create crowds.

Not much development on the NW side of downtown?

MGM Grand is currently building the most expensive private construction project in Michigan history on 25 acres of NW downtown Detroit.

How do you consider the biggest private construction project in state history to be "not much development"?

Dtown1

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the only piece of development in that portion of Downtown being developed. Washington BLVD can be an excellent shopping district. All I see is empty storefronts and an ocassional independent store that no one knows anything about. True, MGM grand is development is development. However, they moved to that area for that very reason that their isn't much development in that area. In the long term, the Casino will likely bail on the city. A lot of places in Detroit say they will always stay in Detroit. However, once the casinos get what they want, the casino will be one big empty cave. Also, that is the poorest part of dwntown. Naturally they would move over there to lure some of the unaware folks to gamble into the casino.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are crazy.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"humble pizza maker" HA!

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 817
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1,

Your diction is terrible.

later - naturalsister

Erikd

Post Number: 728
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

that is the poorest part of dwntown. Naturally they would move over there to lure some of the unaware folks to gamble into the casino.

That statement is completely false, and it doesn't even make any sense.

The goal of a large casino (like MGM Grand) is to lure high rollers, not people living in poverty.

One high roller will spend more money in one night than 100 poor people will spend in a year.

Erikd

Post Number: 729
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

True, MGM grand is development is development. However, they moved to that area for that very reason that their isn't much development in that area.

LOL. You sound like Yogi Berra...

The development is happening in that area because there isn't much development happening in that area.

Dtown1

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey that's basically the reason. Anyway, if yall don't want a bustling commerce in your CBD, that's fine with me. This is you all's city to live in.

Dtown1

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey that's basically the reason. Anyway, if yall don't want a bustling commerce in your CBD, that's fine with me. This is you all's city to live in.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes, on certain subjects, you just need to realize, before hand, that you may be in over your head and post accordingly (i.e as a listener instead of a talker). In other words, start looking before you leap, which is good advice for any human being.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, awesome advice.

Dtown1

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other words LMichigan, I'm saying too much. Sometimes I just like to post examples. However, My poit overall is.....

Detroit would be nicer if it had a bigger commercial district. Financial and entertainment's good, but not as good as commerce

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4480
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that would be nice, but so would 12 gleaming new skyscrapers. I just don't see how you're going to make this into a bad thing. How is repackaging the entertainment district as a cohesive district do a disservice to downtown? I think it's a terrific idea, and an appropriate first step to help build the "commerce district," as you call it, that everyone wants. I'm just wondering how you could spin this to be a bad thing?

Dtown1

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said its a bad thing. I'm just saying entertainment isnt enough when it comes to a Central Business District. People can entertain themselves. When I think of a CBD, I think entertainment, residential, financial, commerce, mass transit, educational institutes, and so forth. However, Detroit has limited mass transit and very limited commerce and those are two of the top three things I think of when someone says CBD. all the city needs downtown is not so much a rail system, but an underground rail. this would save on space and also lower the pollution rate by using electricty or solar powered energy.Also, commerce would need to commute back and forth to do daily runs and for recreation dowtown in a jiffy. That's probably one of the reasons Detroit has limited commerce development is due to the lack of mass transit.

For Example.....

-When people think of New York City, they think of Manhatten or the Empire State Building. Manhatten is of course the CBd of NYC. However, most people go there for the shopping, work and entertainment. Really, entertainment will alwyas be second hand when it comes to a must in a CBD.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are trying to lure customers to an entertainment district and create a experience. Toronto does the same thing. You can purchase a package deal:theatre ticket, hotel and dinner.

I think that people are also trying to create a EXPERIENCE. When you go to Disney you are paying for an experience. The park makes you feel like you are in Middle Earth or 15 Century China. You're out of your normal element and experiencing a something new.

What kind of experience would you have if you took a train to Detroit; went to play or opera; to an chic bar or restaurant; walked along the river; and then crashed in a hotel room. Having a large number of people on the streets, neon lights on the buildings to light the way will all enhance the EXPERIENCE. People want to be entertained and forget about work!

Dtown1

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technacally, shopping can be both under netertainment and commerce. Some peopel love their commercial jobs. Also, as I said, people can stay in the SUBURBS-DISNEY, to have a great experience. And also, the first experience you put out is the typical and form of experience here in Detroit, if you didn't know.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toronto started its packages in response for out of towners more. But Toronto people have also scooped them up.

Its great to market downtown entertainment. But in Detroit or Toronto, or any city. Its sad we have to market our downtowns, when not even 50 years ago people knew downtown was the place for a night out on the town, without marketing.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without marketing?

There is no such thing. Have you seen all of the marketing that NYC does on travel sites.

Surely, if Manhattan markets itself, EVERY other CBD in the world should.

I think you missed it on this one Mike.

later - naturalsister

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What nobody's pointed out yet is, a lot of potential customers of Detroit culture, sports and nightlife are too old or fearful (not of crime, but of traffic) to drive downtown.

Who has the most leisure time? Retirees ...a train deal allows them to do what ordinarily would be fraught with peril. It's really depressing for older people in metro Detroit who lose the ability to drive ...that truly isolates them.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am always confused about the definition of people living downtown, They say there is about 6,000... From my Lafayete Park neighborhood and going east along Lafayette and Jefferson there are many many residences,,, I guess we are not included in this total..If you ad this area and people living in the CBD there are easily many more than 6,000, then there is ofcourse Corktown, Woodbridge areas ,,,It seems silly to many of us when they say there is no residential base,,, There is.. and there is a considerable spending base here,,( eg, many people earning good salaries),,,

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4486
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 6,000, again, is only for the immediate downtown (i.e. the CBD bounded by the freeways/river). Still, though improving, for a city the size of Detroit, it's a rather low population.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.