Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ford Cars and Memorabilia Collection auction Sept 23/24 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are a FORD automobile or memorabilia collector, check this out! I visited this museum collection at the Jerome Duncan Ford dealership 2 or 3 times and was duly impressed with the depth of the collection. It was Dick Duncan's personal collection, stored in a small building on the back of the dealership, staffed by volunteers, open for a few hours weekly. When the Lincoln Motor Company plant and HQ at Livernois and Warren came down, the HQ Front Door ended up here. Earlier this year Jerome Duncan Ford was sold to The Suburban Collection.

"STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. – The Dick Duncan collection of vintage cars and automotive memorabilia will be offered Sept. 23-24 in a sale conducted by D&J Auction and Appraisal Services. Rarities up for bids include the five-millionth Ford Model T, produced in 1921; and a 1940 Mercury four-door convertible, one of fewer than 1,000 made.

Duncan’s Ford Museum was located behind Jerome-Duncan Ford in Sterling Heights, a northern suburb of Detroit. The collection started in 1964 when Duncan’s dealership actually took a Model T roadster in on trade for a new station wagon.

The 1940 Mercury convertible is in overall excellent condition. This model was produced for one year, and only 942 were built. Kept away from the elements for many years, it has its original flathead engine, and the body and frame are straight and rust free.

“Much of the restoration work on the vehicles in this auction was performed by Wally Tennyson,” said auctioneer Dan Landino. “Tennyson is a former supervisor for Duncan’s body shop. Now in retirement, Mr. Duncan persuaded Tennyson to become the collection’s master restorer. His work is both meticulous and a labor of love.”

Other vehicles featured will be a fully restored 1957 Thunderbird, a 1916 Ford Model T touring car with brass radiator, a 1936 Ford Cabriolet two-door convertible, a 1958 Ford Edsel Pacer four-door hardtop, a 1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Phaeton, and a 1924 Ford Model T Huckster-Depot Hack with wood body. Related memorabilia includes several pedal cars, gas pumps, neon signs, service manuals and a large collection of vintage license plates, both restored and in original condition.

One of the oddities in the sale is the “Freddie Ford” Robot, which was used in Ford Division exhibits at auto shows around the country. Freddie is made up largely of parts from Ford products. He even has a television camera in his nose so he can see who he is “talking” to.

Appropriately enough, the auction will be held at 8000 Ford Country Lane in Sterling Heights. For more information, contact D&J Auction and Appraisal Services at 586-268-8692, or log on to www.dnjauctions.com."

More details from the auctioneer's website at http://www.dnjauctions.com/auc tions/2006/09_23_2006/09_23_20 06_p_1.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Dick Duncan's museum and the overall quality of his collection is quite good. When the sale of his dealership was announced I wondered how long his museum would last--now I know. He won't have any problem finding takers for his goods--Ford collectors are a pretty serious bunch.

31ford
Username: 31ford

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give you a rough idea of the going price of some the items pictured.

Ford "Shenango" China.. 30-50.00 each piece.

Ford Oval Porcelain sign w/ bracket 12-1500.00

The '36 Ford Cabriolet.... prob bring around 20-25K

Merc convert about the same.

I'm a serious Ford collector, both the cars & the related memorbilia.

I've never been to Duncan's place.. but have heard alot about it!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

31ford...you missed a real treat!! The Dick Duncan collection was a place you could spend hours marvelling at all the cars and memorabilia! I don't know how they will clear all the lots out in 1 1/2 days!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen--I worked at Carail for Dick Kughn for 12 years, and a good auction house can move a LOT of stuff in 1-1/2 days. All of Carail was sold in 2 days. The big thing is to keep things moving. Have the auction be a "no reserve" type and keep things moving--don't get hung up on any one item. the averege time spent on one lot is about three minutes for "little stuff", about five minutes for each car. That's why auctioneers talk so fast.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!! I'm thinking of going on Sunday morning just to see how it all goes!! And who knows...maybe I can find a lot or two that I would like and can afford!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.