Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Streisand cancels Palace concert « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streisand cancels Palace concert

This is a consequence of the dire state of the metro Detroit economy and a real indication of just how bad things are around here. The sad thing is that in the future concert promoters will bypass Detroit all together.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this is the consequence of an over-rated, over-the-hill pop singer charging too much for a ticket in too large a venue.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hells yeah, this aint the Caucus Club Babs!

Ramcharger

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One would think that in a region of over four million people there would be 20,000 of them that would want to see “Babs” and could afford it. She doesn’t seem to be having any problem selling tickets anywhere else.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on September 23, 2006)

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bitch! I'm a bit vaklempt!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At $750 a pop?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall reading in the NY Post that the promoters are facing the possibility of losing 15 million on this tour after paying 80 million for the rights to it.

It probably doesn't help that people shelled out big money to see her so-called farewell tour in 2000.

(Message edited by rjk on September 23, 2006)

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, she's worse than the Eagles and The Who.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ram..maybe this isn't her market. Just because she is a national act does not mean she will pack the house.

Like it was said above, she is overrated and over the hill and this could be a sign that she needs to stop... not a sign that promoters will overlook Detroit because her concert...please! lol

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is disgusting. Who cares.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like some concert goers are finally coming to their senses with the inflated prices of over inflated star's egos.
How many final concert tours are people willing to put up with?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st of all regardless of any of your prejudices and misguided judgments any one that knows a smidgen about music and singin knows that she is one of the best.She sang her ass off 40ys ago and she sings just fine now.

I would tend to believe that because ticket sales are slow everywhere that other show might be cancelled.However I did say might; I think it is truly sad that Detroit once a great place that helped all kinds of entertainers make their mark is now relegated to a status below........Columbus Ohio?........ there was a time not so long ago that anyone in Columbus wanting to see something like this would be lucky if it was in Cleveland but for sure could see it in Detroit.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would any fan pay that kind of money to see her at the Palace? Liza Minnelli was scheduled there a few years ago and ended up cancelling, too. The next time Liza came around it was for Music Hall's benefit and they ended up raising more money than ever.

Singers like Liza or Streisand should be booked into theaters not friggin' basketball and hockey arenas!

Citylover

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a reasonable point Lilipup.However Liza Minelli has not sold anywhere near the number of records Streisand has.

I do agree that 750$ a ticket is .....well......someone is drinking their own Kool-aid.........

Van Morrison is going to be at Masonic.A b Streisand show at Masonic with tickets 50-150$ would have worked.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 941
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f-er.

Who is she to think she can sell out the Palace? Bad planning....should have chosen a more appropriate venue.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To each his own but I'd pay $750 to see Liza live lightyears before I paid to see Streisand.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drudge planted one of her more regrettable pics earlier today. Maybe it's still there--braless at a social event with her sagging boobs and tits while dressed in black. She looked Barbraless.

Here's another cute pose!

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 23, 2006)

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was another story referenced in the above link that makes it seem much more widespread that just an issue of Detroit's economy:

http://news.softpedia.com/news /Barbra-Streisand-Doesn-039-t- Sell-28776.shtml

Also, in regards to Citylover's comment, "I think it is truly sad that Detroit once a great place that helped all kinds of entertainers make their mark is now relegated to a status below........Columbus Ohio?........" is completely off the mark. She's not some local band playing in a club trying to make it big...she's an established act trying to sell out a massive arena for ridiculous prices.

I have a lot of artists I'd love to see, but I can't ever see justifying spending $750 per ticket for anyone. That's a lot of dinners out, ballgames, nights at the bar/club, or even concerts, spent for one act.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8818
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff will be sad to hear this. But I think the slow sales are more in tune with Bab's constant "retirement" tours and ticket prices than anything else.

Citylover

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I were wrong Wazoo.But I was refering to a historical context. Back in the 1940's and earlier and thru the early 70's Detroit was a must stop for entertainers i.e. singers from all over. All anyone need do is look at old newpapers to see who was performing in Detroit compared to who was performing in Columbus. And Streisand was certainly not some local band trying to make it big back when she did the Caucus club. She was a singer with major(at the time) backing playing a city (Detroit)that was a major player. Della Reese, Bobby Darin and Johnny Ray are other examples of singers that had extensive engagemens in Detroit.

As for Lilipup and her preference for Liza as you said to each their own.But frankly they are cut of the same ilk. Both are belters with great voices.However you may not like this but Streisand has taken better care of her voice. And as a musician I would love to back either one.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a consequence of the dire state of the metro Detroit economy and a real indication of just how bad things are around here.

No, I think this is a consequence of metro Detroiters having taste in music and the commonsense not to pay $750 to see a washed-up has been.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, the tickets must not be flying off the shelves in Columbus, either. They are giving $85 credits to purchasers of Palace tickets if they want to see Babs down there.

Citylover

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So ryhmes with hawk you let your prejudices determine what is good? That is sad.I won't be part of your record club because to me there is nothing more limiting than someone that lets personal pre conceived ideas limit there own chance to appreciate music.

I sure aint saying you have to like her.(Streisand) but to imply she is somehow not talented well........again sad that you let your prejudices limit you.I hope you can overcome that.

Calling anyone a washed up has been is cruel.But when it is not true then it is just silly. I reitereate I am not the pres of the B.Streisand fan club.I have never owned one of her records.But I am willing to aknowledge and recognize talent when I see it. Apparently others were as well where Streisand is concerned. A bit of intellectual honesty would be nice but is probably asking too mcuh from the forum these days.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh get off your high horse. You demand that he accept YOUR definition of talent, but ridicule his. Get over yourself.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, just cuz folks don't want to fork over all that money and drive all that way out to Auburn Hills does not make Detroit a has-been location for concert tours. You're putting way too much stock into that one failed tour.

And don't forget the "Freedom Fries" folks who now boycott the Dixie Chicks, Johnny Depp movies and especially Barbra Streisand. Being politically outspoken has lost her a lot of the fans who can easily afford the $750 discretionary spending.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For $750 bucks, she better do more than sing----------and I will leave it at that

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say this is a tribute to the musical taste of those in the Detroit metro area.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are even some fans threatening to sue her for fraud because they shelled out big bucks for her last tour which was heavily promoted as her final farewell tour.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 821
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, where's Gogi Grant when ya really need her?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So ryhmes with hawk you let your prejudices determine what is good? That is sad.I won't be part of your record club because to me there is nothing more limiting than someone that lets personal pre conceived ideas limit there own chance to appreciate music.

Oh, I didn't really mean it. It was just biting sarcastic wit. I can't help but get all defensive when people start talking trash about the city (though in this case, it was the suburbs). :-)

Ramcharger

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love her or hate her, the fact is that in a healthier economy she would have no problem filling the Palace. When the artist that holds the single-concert box-office record has to cancel a concert because of slow ticket sales concert promoters will definitely think twice before booking dates at that venue.

quote:

Streisand played a lucrative New Year's Eve show in Las Vegas on Dec. 31, 1999 that she claimed would "probably" be her final public performance. Ticket prices ranged from $500 to $2,500, and the show set a single-concert box-office record, taking in nearly $14.7 million, according to concert industry magazine Pollstar. Despite the prices, the MGM Grand said that the shows sold out within five hours

LiveDaily, Aug. 24 2006 "Barbra Streisand lines up more shows"

(Message edited by Ramcharger on September 23, 2006)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the Palace? Why not book it at Joe Louis? Or the Fox? Was her promoter trying to avoid the city itself? Just cuz she couldn't fill 23,000 seats at the Palace (it's seating capacity for concerts) doesn't mean she couldn't have done well enough to fill a smaller venue and still make tens of thousands of dollars.

Czar

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd have to be mentally retarded to pay that much money to see Streisand.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or just have lots of disposable income, something in short supply around here these days.

Czar

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe Detroit doesn't have enough gay men?

(Message edited by czar on September 23, 2006)

Citylover

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus perhaps and I mean this in a nice way if you focused on what I wrote you will understand.I don't demand anyone accept "my" definition of talent. I ask that people aknowledge talent.It has nothing to do with anyone's opinion of anything because talent is not defined by opinion.Some people are more talented than others.For example Barbara Streisand is a better(much) better singer than Madonna. This is not opinion this is fact.

Gistock I certainly will not pay 750 bucks to see Streisand because I can not afford it.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

babs has always been at the forefront when it comes to raising the price of concert tickets to unbeknownst highs.

i'm glad she failed to extort what she'd hoped from her loyal fans.

she's obviously more talented as a singer than she is an egomaniac, as the ticket-buying public shut her down.

let them eat cake, babs!

Citylover

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl, now that is a post I can get with........ I wish I were as talented as you. You put it succinctly and most accurately.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inability by Barbra Streisand to sell out the Palace of Auburn Hills is no testament to a failing local economy. Of course things have been better around here in the past--no one is questioning that--and they've been worse before too. Truth be told, I personally believe people are wise to Streisand, and a few other "entertainers" who feel they can command whatever dollar amount they want, and the fans will simply blindly part with their dollars without sober second thought. This is Streisand, let's be honest there was only 50/50 odds the show would go on anyway--good ticket sales or not. Unpredictable, diva-like behavior is not "entertainment". Seriously...James Brolin went from Jan Smithers to this...go figure.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did notice that on her schedule this was the only show that didn't have days off scheduled around it (she's playing Toronto the night before). Probably was a questionable date to start with and they were testing ticket sales as much as anything. If she sold out she'd would've turned up but other than that it's probably not worth her while to do two nights in a row.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over priced.. WTF.. Who the hell does this woman think she is frank sinatra?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or just have lots of disposable income, something in short supply around here these days."

People in this area certainly didn't have a problem coughing up money for Tigers playoff tickets which certainly are not cheap. With the number of people wanting to buy Tigers tickets, they probably could have sold out Comerica 5 times over.

As far as concert promoters possibly bypassing Detroit, they'll look at the overall concert attendace and not one concert with inflated ticket prices by someone who has performed multiple farewell tours.

To me this is nothing more than a case of, "Fool me once, shame on you..."

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 716
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe another factor is the age of her audience...it's been awhile since she worked the Caucus Club with Matt Michaels.
Maybe her stuff doesn't attract younger folks around the area - has she cut any rap tunes?
Citylover's right, she could (and probably still can) sing. Who cares about multiple farewell tours - she's a vocalist, loves to sing. Probably kinda tough to hang that up, she has bills to pay...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cl and jimg, it's a losing battle...the fratboy mentality is, they can't see beyond that she's fat and older.

I don't agree that the economy doesn't factor into this. Ticket sales are lagging only here, nowhere else.

It is greed, a singer like her belongs in the Fox Theater...

Chitaku

Post Number: 775
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an article I wrote for the South End about Paul McCartney's inflated ticket prices

They were great in their prime, but is it time to hang ‘em up?

By Chuck Nannini | Rock Columnist

We all know that a lot of today’s youth like classic rock these days.

I mean, who wouldn’t? It is the genre that so defines the modern rock scene these days. However, every few years or so, it seems all the old-school boys get together and release albums simultaneously.

Then, they go on tour and charge ridiculously large amounts of money for their tickets.

I’m a huge fan of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. But do you really think I want to shell out $100 to go and sit in the last row of Comerica Park or the Palace of Auburn Hills to hear songs that sound exactly the same on CD (if I’m lucky)?

Classic rockers the Rolling Stones do no justice to their legacy.

Nothing is worse than seeing a withered-up Mick Jagger and his bony a** dancing around like a snake or doing his chicken walk to a rendition of “Brown Sugar” featuring a 20 piece backup band and 30 backup singers, while an incoherent Keith Richards plays guitar with the volume down, as 10 other younger players cover his parts behind the stage.

Keith does keep it real though as far as the rock ‘n’ roll aspect is concerned. I mean, the guy has been legally dead for 10 years and he still f*ckin’ rocks every night!

Paul McCartney brought his tour to the Palace this weekend, whilst yours truly could not muster the cool $100 ticket price for this Auburn Hills extravaganza. I have heard that he actually puts on a good show, pounding out the Beatles’ rarities.

Yet again, ask yourself: “Is a 63-year-old McCartney worth my week’s paycheck?”

The answer? Hell no!

The guy is a f*ckin’ gajillionare! He doesn’t need my measly $100, even if he is pounding out the Beatles’ hits of my yesteryear.

Both artists also released new albums at about the same time. While critics tout both as being good, I just can’t imagine the Stones bringing another “Sympathy for the Devil” to the table, or McCartney pulling out another version of “Hey Jude.”

It’s just not in the cards. Besides, what the hell does a critic know?

In all reality, it’s one man’s opinion. I mean, to one critic, these could be Blockbuster hits and then, there are cats like me who hate everything and will totally dismiss it.

I asked Tessa Colton, a freshman music management major, really knows her music and told me what she thought.

“I wouldn’t go out and buy either because I think that Paul’s newer stuff is too poppy and I don’t think that the Stones have been good in decades really,” Colton says.

“I’d give them a chance, but Paul isn’t much without the Beatles. And just because Paul and the Stones made great music at one point, doesn’t mean that all of the new stuff is going to be amazing.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I mean, I really enjoy these groups prime material; you can’t beat it. But ask yourself, are they still in it for the love of the music. Or, is the idea of even more money just too good to pass up for these senior citizens?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck, all due respect but...that's like a 50-year-old writing a column: "Is Ludacris really worth buying a ticket for, at any price?" deciding "Hell no!" and asking his 50-year-old friends for their opinions.

I think ticket prices have gone way out of line, considering the way our economy has tanked for the last 5 years, but a Paul McCartney concert at $100-$225 a pop is not aimed at you, it's aimed at his baby boomer fans who want to relive their youth and his. If he's willing to play and they're willing to pay, you're not being affected, right? Chamillionaire will still perform a concert.

p.s. I think the Stones sucked on their last tour, but McCartney has kept his quality live, even if you don't like his new music. As for him being "too pop"...that's like complaining that the sky is too blue.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$750 is too high. Why not have a more intimate tour at the Fox or the Joe. Damn $750!!!! I'm only 28 and I remember my mom playing some of her songs when I was young. In fact I woke up to "Woman in Love", (my Itunes has 56,000 songs) today.

I like her and would pay to see her. NOT $750! But look at it this way, my parents can afford to and probably would go see her but they live in Nashville now.

Maybe Metro Detroit is younger than it used to be, maybe Mariah can fill the Palace faster than Barbara at $200 a pop!

But either way if you are charging a higher price, have it at a smaller venue.

She might as well charge $1,000 for Michigan stadium, hell that has 100,000 plus seating.313

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You'd have to be mentally retarded to pay that much money to see Streisand." - Czar

So a Streisand fan, then?

Chitaku

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pfft, I am not in to the stupid shit on the radio today, and am an avid McCartney fan, probably one of the biggest there are. It does not matter who the performer is or who it is aimed at there is no reason for the price to be that high. Age has no pay in that.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So has anybody pointed out the fact that Streisand isn't the only performer out there cancelling shows or downsizing venues when the first didn't sell enough? Fiona Apple did it this summer when she found out she couldn't sell out the Energy Knob on her own. All across the country, concert promoters are dealing with tickets that simply aren't selling.

This isn't solely a Detroit issue, nor is it solely a Streisand or ticket price issue. Everybody's having problems.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think selling out concerts is a Detroit only issue either. It could just be the types of shows people are going to now. Gone are the days of when a superstar could just promote an album by touring and selling out venues. That was back in the day when our entertainment dollar had fewer options unlike today. Musical acts & promoters have to be much more savvy (I don't think Streisand's people were by trying to book The Palace) in order to make money. I don't think the venues are hurting as badly though.

Look at the Fox Theater, it's still ranks up there as one of the premier venues in America and is constantly selling out but not to those mega-musician sort of events anymore. Look at the events they do- Barney, the Rockettes, Dora the Explorer and other family oriented events and they seem to do well there.

Promoters & musical acts have to know where and how to promote their products now. If not they're going to end up backing out and really making the artists look bad.

And not meaning to knock Streisand but what has she really done as of late that merits her steep ticket prices and the thought of selling out The Palace at those prices? Sure, she's a gifted singer and talented actress but people have fickle memories and tight wallets now.

I couldn't tell you her last movie or last hit song she had and I sure as heck wouldn't pony up $750 to hear her at a huge non-intimate venue like The Palace.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't pay $750 for an NBA Finals game at the Palace!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last fall U2 had to schedule a second concert after the first one sold out so fast. The second one sold out, too. I'm sure that's not an isolated case... it's just the one I remember. Of course, they don't charge 750.00 a ticket.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to think that U2's promoters knew better than to price anything at that outrageous amount. I think that's where Streisand's people over assumed her popularity. For $750, ol' Barb had better come over and serve me a dinner and vacuum my house too. That's one heckuva pricey seat for the cold sterility of The Palace.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.