Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » UA Graffiti Artist on WDET « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Kevin Joy (sic?) did an interview with WDET that was just on a few minutes ago. He claims to be the painter responsible for the UA meso-american designs that used to adorn the windows. He currently is working other buildings such as Lafeyette, the GM building at Fort and Livernois, the Eddystone and the painted house on St. Aubin Street.

Kevins mission is to overpaint bad graffiti with what he sees as "better" graffiti. He did in fact get busted by Detroits finest recently - the Dyes boards wet dream come true: a notorius graff vandal captured in the act. The charges: malicious mischief. The fine: less than $100.00.

Text description

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 805
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These asses should buy a loft and paint all over the inside of it... Detroit is not their personal canvas.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wdetfm.org/show.php ?sid=41

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well it actually is until the jack ass owners of these buildings finally do something with these abanoned hulks.

A city is supposed to be alive and full of life. It is ironic that these artists can get into these buidings and do what they do. I say it is great because it is a reminder of how much work still has to be done.

All Hail King Kwame!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I say it is great because it is a reminder of how much work still has to be done. "

If u say so... we don't need any additional reminders. Shit like this is ADD to the reasons people don't want to rehab buildings, they have to come up with additional money to clean them.

Bussey

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you are assuming that the original windows are going to be saved?

Point is that these buildings shouldn't be in such a sorry state to begin with. If PEOPLE were using or occupying these buildings then no graffiti would be happening. By vilifying the artists you are saying it is ok for these slumlords to let these places stay stagnant.

If you can't afford to fix the building up you shouldn't buy it to begin with. And I hardly think that Olympia Entertainment can't afford to rehab the UA.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 639
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may be artists, but since it's someone else's property, they're also vandals and criminals. One sin (letting a building rot) does not excuse another (trespassing and altering it without the owner's permission).

It's irrelevant whether the owners should have bought them or that the "artists" wouldn't be there if there were people inside. It's not theirs to touch. Period.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 807
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If PEOPLE were using or occupying these buildings then no graffiti would be happening."

Tell that to the people on this forum who own buildings and offices which have been victims of graffiti

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't condone graffiti at all. But one benefit of the UA graffiti was that it was displayed nationally on the cover of The National Trust magazine, with nearly 700,000 copies distributed nationwide.

And it showed the entire country that besides all the good that he did Detroit... Mike Ilitch was also a slumlord... Priceless!

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a Master Shake or a spray can with yellow hands on that house? I actually caught a character spray painted in an alley that made an appearance on Aqua Teen Hunger Force once. Also captured Trogdor at an underpass once too.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed a few Aqua Teen inspired tags on buildings over the last few months.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The opening credits of ATHF are to thank for that.

Those characters do make me chuckle though.

Bussey

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my opinion is slightly biased, having spent two weeks in Berlin, the Graffiti capital of the world. It is everywhere there.

Even in lil ol' Weimar there was an abundance of graffiti. You would think that the German people, with all of their great and wonderful architecture and culture would surely not partake in such terrible pursuits, but yes they do. Quite frequently at that!

And in response to Vizion...I do not condone tagging occupied buildings, even my condo has been tagged. I think it is harmless when done to a building that has been standing vacant for over 25 years and has no imminent rehab in the future. It may be destructive to the integrity of the building but leaving these hulks standing is even more of an atrocity since it allows the graffiti to occur in the first place.

What is worse...leaving trash in the street or adding to the pile.?

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only one of those slumlords would spend a night in one of their buildings and shoot a few of those criminal trespassers right in their knees... Might be a more effective deterrent than the small fine.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cure a misdomenor activity with felony first degree homicide - theres a Detroit solution if I ever heard one. How about the slumlords just keep the buildings secured ?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey-- Just for the record, the Lafayette Bldg. has been abandoned for 15 years (see old Free Press articles from July '91), not 25. I know it doesn't change the point of your argument, but it's always good to set the facts straight first.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, you have a point. On a larger scale, a building itself can become graffiti on the city if neglected too long.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.