Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ticket reseller StubHub to open shop downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticket reseller StubHub to open shop downtown

By Robert Ankeny

6:00 am, September 25, 2006

Downtown Detroit is getting a permanent office of the nation’s largest ticket reseller for sports, concerts, theater and other live entertainment events.

StubHub Inc., a San Francisco-based online ticket marketplace founded in 2000, has leased 1,500 square feet on the third floor of the Madison Building.

The five-story building at Broadway and Witherell Street on Grand Circus Park that once held part of the Madison Theatre is being renovated by Broadway Property Partners L.L.C. for offices, retail and a restaurant bar, Jim Saad, a Broadway partner, said. Leasing there is handled by Sam Munaco, associate broker and partner of Southfield-based Signature Associates-Oncor International.

Sean Pate, StubHub public-relations director, said its Detroit location was to be open by Oct. 1 “for the heat of the baseball playoffs,” but the company pushed the date back to Oct. 15.

StubHub takes sports and other event tickets on consignment, often from season-ticket holders who can’t use them. Most of the sales are handled online or by phone at least three days before events, Pate said, with tickets delivered via FedEx.

Having a local office means StubHub can make same-day deals for tickets, with purchasers able to walk in to get them right up to game time, Pate said. StubHub, which has been operating out of a suite at the Hilton Garden Inn since before Super Bowl XL last January, will have permanent locations in 11 major cities including Detroit, he said.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 0925/SUB/60922070/-1/toc

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for the Entertainment District!

Just one question... due to Michigan law, these tickets cannot be sold for above face value... correct?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is very good news. I was kinda waiting to hear how things were going for the Madison building.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used stub hub a few times. Great outlet for hard to get tickets. The only problem is that you can't always pick up the tickets from the office unless you order them in under 3 days to the event. Otherwise they'll charge you and arm and a leg for the overnight shipping.

I've never paid more then face value for Tiger seats.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New York Yankees Began Revoking Season Ticket Holders Packages if they sold ANY of their tickets on Stub Hub, seems as though pro sports teams are looking for a way to get in on the action.....tigers could follow suit soon.

Stecks77

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticketmaster is also trying to develop a system that will eliminate Stub Hub's service. There was a story on NPR a couple weeks ago. I wish I could remember the details.

I hate ticketmaster. They do $7 service charges per ticket! Crazy.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I paid over face-value for yesterday's Lions tickets--bought through Stub Hub. I know not the laws on this, though.

Stecks77

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paying face value for a Lions ticket should be criminal!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You shouldn't have to pay for Lions games ... period.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 574
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful news for development project that took forever and a day. I wonder if 1500 sq ft encompasses the entire third floor? Hopefully, they can get an infamous Detroit sports bar to move into the first floor!

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it legal for a company to conduct business for that long out of a hotel room?

(Message edited by fjw718 on September 25, 2006)

Archy
Username: Archy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately the space is only a very small one. But it should help the building to better adversize for more loft offices and a bar/restaurant/club.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7949
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brilliant move for them if the bar ever re-opens.

Ticket resale above a place where drunk people are talking sports/music and more than likely willing to drop way too much money for a ticket in a drunken stupor

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1,500 square feet is 500 square feet bigger than my apartment.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news and I like the bar/drunk idea.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the Madison back in 2000 before the auditorium demolition. I was very surprised at how small the office space was back then. 1,500 is probably the entire 3rd floor of the shallow office block of the former theatre building.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Madison the building right next to the Broderick on GCP?

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks MCM.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not intimately familiar with the Madison, but 1,500 sq. ft. is pretty small in the commercial/retail world.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I buy tickets to Barbara Streisand's Palace concert on StubHub?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyrprocess - Yes. Streisand range from $142 - $1764. http://www.stubhub.com/barbra- streisand-tickets

And for those of you who continue to comment on how small their space is reported to be - they're freaking ticket brokers! How much office space do they really need?

They are glorified, legal scalpers. Most work on the street, w/ no office.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

StubHub is an "official sponsor" of the Lions so I don't any problems there,
http://www.stubhub.com/lions?G CID=C12289x069

but the Tigers seem to have their own thing going with ticketmaster for ticket auctions
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ NASApp/mlb/det/ticketing/aucti on.jsp

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It only makes sense that they would have a Detroit presence since we are such a sports town. Nice to have more business in downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.