Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Nippin' the zippin' on the Lodge? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the things I thought I'd NEVER see in my lifetime was someone pulled over on the Lodge within the Detroit city limits. I've seen at least four cars caught by the fuzz in the last month, all by state troopers (I think).
Not sure if this was addressed a while ago or not, but anyone else noticed this Autobahn assault?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have ONLY seen the state boys on the lodge. They used to sit on the on ramps as they are up and hidden unlike the grassy sided ramps on the Southfield and 75. Out of no where, you would see that big gumball light over the ramp wall whizzing past and it was curtains.

They used to do this on Sundays and I would always see them pulling someone over. I haven't seen that in years though

Yeah the Lodge is everyones personal drag strip.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good! It gets very dangerous with people speeding and weaving in and out of traffic. It's a disaster waiting to happen with how narrow it is. It seems like people go 100+ often when the Speed Limit is only 55 (too low IMO).

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, speed limit on the Lodge is simply ridiculous... 55mph!! The damn thing is straight with beautiful soft curves. Speeding on the Lodge is spectacular I think, esp. near Greenfield. With the tall walls on the side, you get a tunnel-like effect with speed. And the soft downward curves around Linwood are superb when driving +100... sensational.

They really should post a 65 or 70mph speed limit there.

Indeed, Cmubryan, it is very easy to drive +100/+120 on the lodge. I was one of the crazy guys flashing by on the Lodge... until my license got suspended last week ;-(

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got nabbed going 95 about a year ago just south of 8 mile. Got off with no points, a small fine and online driving school. I have indeed slowed down though since then but 55 is waaayyy to slow.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was 55 mph because of the potholes and road patch. Hit that at 75 or 80 and it'll rip your tire clean off.
Now that it's been repaved, however...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably 55 because up until very recently, a lot of urban freeways in the state were 55.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've gotten a speeding ticket from a DPD cop on the lodge just after the bagley exit. let me off with a 5-over no points even though i was doing 19 over.

i believe all freeways in detroit are 55 except for.. 96 past.. davison? and 75 past 94 going northbound.

i love to speed on the lodge. I also like 94 through the east side. not too many cops over there.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once went from Jefferson and the Lodge (Under Cobo) to the 7 Mile exit in ~7-8 minutes. I was young, dumb, and in high school. It takes me ten minutes now. :-)

I agree though, 55 is way too slow. Those who do 55 probably cause more accidents than those doing 85.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Additionally, I got a seat belt ticket on the Southbound Lodge just past 7 Mile about four months ago. The State boys had just left from having someone pulled over, and the person in front of me slammed on their brakes (as they had been speeding) and slowed down to 45-50 so they woudn't get pulled over. I had to slam on my brakes, and ended up quite close on their tail. The State boys saw this, and pulled me over. I got a warning for following too closely, and a seatbelt ticket. Damn fool in front of me would have been fine, as he was only going about 65. They would have left him alone. Probably had warrants or something.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it when I'm on a street and the speed limit is like 45 and the cops do 30 and people are affraid to to pass the cops and I just breeze by.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4489
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I love crusing the Lodge. It's quite an experience north New Center. :-)

Vizion, I agree. It makes me laugh when I see people scared by cop cars going under the speed limit. I should really be more careful, but I like the challenge. lol Maybe it's a Michigan city thing, but I find that unless you're totally driving recklessly, you can pretty much get away with doing 5-10 over on the major roads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.