Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Red Wings name Yzerman VP « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

News bulletin
Red Wings name Yzerman VP

September 25, 2006

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Steve Yzerman was named vice president of the Detroit Red Wings on Monday and the team said he will work with the front office on all aspects of the organization.

Since retiring in July, the Red Wings and Yzerman have been working on defining a role for him with them.

“After retiring as the longest serving captain in NHL history and the on-ice leader of our franchise for 23 years, it is only fitting that he join our management team in a meaningful position,” Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch said in a statement. “I’m confident Steve will bring the same passion and dedication he displayed on the ice to our management team.”

Yzerman helped Detroit win Stanley Cups in 1997, ’98 and 2002 in 20 postseason appearances and he ranks eighth all-time in the NHL record books with 185 playoff points. The 10-time All Star led all active players last season with 1,755 regular-season points, a total that trails just five in league history.

His No. 19 jersey will be retired Jan. 2, and hoisted alongside Gordie Howe’s No. 9,
Terry Sawchuk’s No. 1, Ted Lindsay’s No. 7, Alex Delvecchio’s No. 10, and Sid Abel’s No. 12.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060925/NEW S99/60925010

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great move by the organization. Yzerman ws a hell of a player, and I'm sure he'll make a hell of an executive.

Pistons: Joe D
Red Wings: Stevie Y
Tigers: Al Kaline
LIONS: Fire Millen, Hire Barry!!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying Stevie won't be a great exec but I wouldn't exactly give him any executive of the year awards either. For every Joe Dumars that transitions from the court to the front office there are horror stories like Isiah Thomas too. And Matt Millen is this town's most glaring example of a guy who should've never left his cushy gig as a broadcaster.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, but Yzerman's been acting as an "unofficial consultant" for awhile now. I think his transition will be much smoother than most.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have his duties been outlined at all to the public? I'm curious to know what sort of responsibilities he has. I think some sort of position, like player personel, or something that is like a link between the players and the front office would be great.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping & praying that Stevie's job within the organization is somewhat out of the public eye. He needs to just be able to focus on his duties and away from the intense media scrutiny he's had to endure when he was a player.

Lord keep him away from coaching as well; not to say he couldn't but once a team starts failing, the first to get blamed is the coach. And I sure as heck would not want to see one of this city's sports icons fail and have to be fired (ala. Trammell, Gibby, Parrish, etc. when the Tigers floundered).

Is there anyone in this city that doesn't want Stevie to succeed in this new capacity. He's done it all for us so far.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.