Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Long-abandoned downtown G.A.R. Building up for sale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060926/NEW S99/60926008

For more than 30 years, the historic G.A.R. Building has sat vacant on the neglected western edge of downtown Detroit. Now the City of Detroit is making a serious effort
to attract a buyer who would restore the building.

Don’t even think about tearing it down for a Burger King. The city, which owns the structure, is requiring that any proposal must preserve the historic architecture.

Copies of the city’s request for proposals will be available next Monday from the city’s Planning and Development Department, 65 Cadillac Square. Proposals are due no later than Nov. 15. For more information, call city planner Alexander Pollock at 313-224-1325 during business hours.

A tentative sale price of $220,500 has been set. But any renovation would cost at least $1 million. Various tax credits are available to assist a developer in financing a project.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the city sells it to the hot & ready king, I'm gonna' be sick.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the next forum house. Any takers?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the City can sell it to Niederlander for $220k. Then he can sell it to the State of Michigan for $1million. Then the State can sell it back to Detroit for $2million?

Regardless, this is a HOT property!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building is so cool. From the outside it looks like its in great condition. With its size Im wondering what could done with it.
The price is low, but I have to think its going to be more then 1 million to renovate.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have photos of the interior? I know someone who wants to bid on the property.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of photos, including interior:

http://forgottendetroit.com/ga r/photos.html

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10669
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a sweet location for a Cheesecake Factory!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived across the street from the GAR back in 1992-1995. I was in the Ramada/Leland building. At that time, there was an article in the paper that said the GAR was up for sale for $37,000. My roomates and I wondered how we could scrape up the cash to buy it, as we saw it out our window every day. But heck, I was broke and slumming; only living at the Ramada because it offered a furnished, two bedroom apartment with all utilities included for $425.00 a month rent. Divide that 3 ways and you have 3 students living cheaply.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reality Check Folks!!!

There's one major drawback to selling it to someone besides 1) Mike Ilitch, 2) Anthony Pieroni or possibly 3) Blair McGowan...

NO PARKING!!!

Mike Ilitch owns the land across Cass (the Cass-Adams Building and large parking lot). Anthony Pieroni owns the parking lot southeast of the GAR, between the Michigan Building and Grand River. And I'm not sure if Blair McGowan (owner of the nearby Moose Lodge) has any empty surface lots directly north of the GAR.

As far as anyone else buying the GAR?? No dedicated parking.... no Bank Loan for purchasing or renovation!!

I'm sure that the city realizes that, and will use it as a criteria for whomever they sell it to. No point in the city selling to someone who cannot develop it, and will just end up with another derelict building in private hands.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a man who is trying to buy that building and has been trying for four years. City of Detroit has been confounding him and I think he has given up.

Gistok

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until the court case was settled, it wasn't sellable. And that case was pending for a few years, until now.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is an RFP, a high bid will not get you the building. You will have to submit a complete redevelopment plan. Complete with the intended rehabilitation and initial financing plans.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very good thing. Should have been done long ago.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how Gistok thinks this can't be renovated without a parking lot.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With no parking, how can this wonderful building be renovated and ecomonically viable? What type of businesses would be viable in this building? Law office? Restaurant? HQ for a small company?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bibs, parking garage

Gistok

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj, then you must not have been around on this forum during all the years of discussing the Women's Exchange development problems due to parking...

Let me enlighten you... NOTHING came of all the years of development plans for the GCP Women's Exchange Building (remember China Club?). And the reason was because Mike Ilitch wasn't about to give up any of his parking spaces for the development.

But along comes his dedicated employee, hockey's Chris Chelios... who wanted to develop the property. Mike Ilitch gave his blessing, as well as some dedicated parking spots... and Voila! Chelio's Chili!

Maybe we ought to ask our resident developer Ndavies about how important parking spaces are to getting financing for a development?

(Message edited by Gistok on September 26, 2006)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 972
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That huge MGM parking garage is only a few blocks away. That might be an option?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a perfect place for raves. Oh..um... a bar would do nicely there, and there's parking everywhere around here. Every place doesn't need it's own parking lot. That's why we're so fat now.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6927
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banks won't loan money unless there's assured adequate parking for the project.

(Message edited by itsjeff on September 26, 2006)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to be a tough building to renovate, between the historic deed restrictions and the lack of parking. The first words out of any banker is going to be "where are you going to park?"

To market a building downtown you need dedicated parking. Empty parking lots don't mean shit if you can't get a deal for access to them. It has to be adjacent and committed to you. We live in a suburban centric region. Companies expect the same conveniences they get in the suburbs.

Rjlj

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of parking available under Grand Circus Park. It holds about 900 cars total. I guess Cliff Bell's has a secret parking garage, that's why a bank gave them a loan. I am not saying it is not a hinderance but come on here. The building has been around for 100 years without a parking lot. I am almost certain banks will not deny loans based on parking. If a viable plan exists, it will happen. Get your fat azzes Detroit and walk.

Kenp

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe we should tear it down and build a parking lot

Ndavies

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry rjlj you're wrong. no parking is fine for a bar, but won't fly for office or residential space.

Ask the developer of the Kales what they had to go through to provide parking for their project. They had to build a dedicated tunnel underground into the GCP parking lot. The bank wouldn't loan them the money without it. The garage was only across the street form their building.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Vinton building, We had a 100% sold out project and the bank still required us to come up with dedicated parking. Even with all the participants understanding there was no parking at the time.

We eventually had to come up with two parking plans. One was a letter commiting space from a deck next door and the other was cutting the building to provide parking in the basement.

Until you've sat across the table from a banker asking them to fund a project, you have no clue the issues involved.

Rjlj

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to know of the Kales tunnel was a requirement or a Luxury/Convenience, can anyone tell me what the facts are and not hearsay?
Does anyone know what the city ordinances are for the required number of parking spaces for an establishment?
Thanks.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could it be hearsay. What construction company do you know that would build a hugely expensive tunnel if they didn't have to. Talk about cutting a huge hole in your profit margins.

There is no city ordinance requiring parking space in the CBD. It is strictly a financing requirement.

Rjlj

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, does or will the Vinton building have basement access to parking?

Meliss
Username: Meliss

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am almost certain banks will not deny loans based on parking.

He's completely wrong and trying to save face.

Kenp

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$225,000 for the building and $1,000,000 to renovate. Doesnt sound like the most expensive project. There are plenty of groups out there who dont need financing for a project.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it will have basement parking. We cut the first floor of the building about a month ago. The elevator pit has been poured. The alley wall has had the garage door opening cut. Framing for the elevator shaft enclosure should begin in the next few weeks.

It is costing us about $40,000 per space to put parking in the building. We sure as hell wouldn't be doing it without the financing requirement for parking.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Ndavies says here is not hearsay. I like to question sources, too, but Ndavies is normally on point when it comes to this type of stuff.

Rjlj

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information. Hopefully bank involvement is minimal with this deal.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Meliss, name a single non-bar project in the CBD that was built without dedicated parking in the last 10 years? The only one I know of is the Y. They do have a small dedicated parking in back.

Even existing buildings are gobbling up neighboring buildings for parking. It's the only way they can increase their occupancy rates. Those include: the Dime, the Guardian, and 1001 Woodward.

Gistok

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Ndavies is usually right on the money.

Also, it's not just a matter of the banks demanding parking. The city will probably also stipulate dedicated parking as part of selling the property! They want it to be developed, and not just sold.

If Mike Ilitch or Anthony Pieroni want to buy the GAR, they may be the odds on favorites because they have dedicated parking within 100 ft. of the GAR.

But whoever buys it, they better be able to come up with detailed plans for its restoration. The city doesn't want to sell it to add to someones real estate holdings.

(Message edited by Gistok on September 26, 2006)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6928
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, Meliss was agreeing with you. She meant that Rjlj was trying to save face.

Kenp

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If everybody wants the property and the city owns it and needs money, then why only $225,000

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7952
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something about that $1M renovation costs.

Everybody is a very subjective term around here. I assume everybody is closer to maybe one or two people.

Rjlj

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct.

Poll:
Would anyone here live in a building downtown such as the Kales or the Vinton that didn't have an underground tunnel to parking or an attached parking garage? Would it deter you from living there even if you had to walk a block or two to a parking garage?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6929
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once the Vinton is renovated, it's conceivable that the units would sell for around $500,000 each. If I'm laying out that kind of money, I want to be able to park in my living room.

Kenp

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt want to walk 2 blocks to my home, especially in the winter.

Jt1

Post Number: 7953
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SE Michigan should be changed to pathetic fatasses.

(Message edited by jt1 on September 26, 2006)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd walk to get my car. I would also take public transit. With this whole discussion, the elephant in the room, of course, is the state of SE Michigan's public transit system(s).

Gistok

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may not be fun with 8 bags of groceries and a heavy rain...

Kenp

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big differance between living their and visiting.
It took me 30 years to get a garage, Im spoiled.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the price was right, I would walk two blocks to park.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, with 8 bags of groceries and heavy rain, one would stop the car out front, put on the four ways, unload the car and take the groceries to one's condo, and then go park the car. The building is not very big, the process should take less than 5 minutes.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8831
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UpinOttawa, that car would be gone in about 30 seconds...

Meliss
Username: Meliss

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ndavies, Meliss was agreeing with you. She meant that Rjlj was trying to save face.

Yes.

Jt1

Post Number: 7954
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

UpinOttawa, that car would be gone in about 30 seconds...

You can turn on the hazards and shut off and lock the car.

(Message edited by jt1 on September 26, 2006)

Upinottawa

Post Number: 532
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, make that six minutes and insert "place The Club on steering wheel". :-)

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no city ordinance requiring parking space in the CBD. It is strictly a financing requirement.

Are you sure. the recent "in-house" financed jobs
i was involved in required parking for P&Z plan approval. and these were not just residential.

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the GAR building originally???

Ndavies

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not absolutely positive. I had been told this by someone connected to the city and it may only apply to the core of the CBD. City P&Z didn't require parking for the Vinton rehab. Outside of the CBD there are definite parking requirements. There may also be a difference between a residential convert and other types of development.

Messykitty
Username: Messykitty

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What was the GAR building originally???"

Did you read the article??? Try clicking on the link.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lack of parking??? did you see the intersection of grand river and cass in the photo????

Ndavies

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, lack of parking. That parking is not controlled by whoever buys the building. It will definitely be a problem considering the owner of most of the adjacent lots.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GAR is certainly afloat in a sea of parking. :-) It is disturbing how much parking is out there.

Unfortunately, none of that parking belongs to the GAR....

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did they get the money to do the Elysium Lounge then? From what I can see, that place doesn't have a dedicated parking lot/structure.

It's pretty silly to tie parking to financing a project in a central business district of a major city. Are these Michigan centered banks? I can't believe a bank in New York or Chicago would have such a silly requirement.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

How did the parking situation become such an issue? Could it be the lack of mass transit in Metro Detroit?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8833
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, Elysium is a bar and as indicated by NDavies bars are not subjected to the same degree as a residential or office building.

Did you even read the thread?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bar is not the same thing as a lounge. If every place that sold alcohol was a bar then Comerica Park is considered a bar.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is it's still a use that does not require dedicated parking. I didn't think it was that hard of a concept.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The perfect use for the GAR is a mausoleum for dead bankers that wouldn't issue construction loans in Detroit.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everytime i visit detroit which is quite often, i am amazed at the available parking in the downtown area and throughout the city. Never have i seen such a convenience for cars. this just amazes me.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, think it'd be the perfect nightclub/music venue. It'd be like the Spanish Castle Ballroom that used to stand south of Seattle that was the stomping ground for bands such as the Sonics and the Wailers:
http://pnwbands.com/spanishcas tle.html

For garage rock and "Nuggets" fans, the Wailers "Live at the Castle" is a staple that is not to be missed.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, it's worth noting that Jimi Hendrix wrote "Spanish Castle Magic" about the Spanish Castle Ballroom . :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit offers GAR Building for bids; historic preservation part of deal

"For sale: One Detroit landmark.

Condition: Fixer-upper.

Satisfaction to be gained: Priceless."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060927/BUS INESS04/609270335/1017/BUSINES S

Kenp

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Kathleen thats great. Lets start this thread all over again

Rjlj

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parking situation all comes down to is how you finance a project and through whom. If you finance it yourself, it does not matter.
Ndavies, do you have an Michigan lender for the Vinton?

Ndavies

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National city. I don't have 5.2 million in my pocket.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6939
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So then you're just happy to see me?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Kales, dedicated parking was an absolute requirement of the lenders. The developers tried to get adjacent parking but Ilitch wouldn't cooperate at all. Plan "B" was valet parking (this was what was proposed in the original development plan and approved by the City) To make the project a reality, the City had to find a way to essentially privatize a portion of a bond-finaced public garage and the developer had to install a tunnel under a public street and make improvements to GCP Garage (some $850,000 to $1 million).

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1 million for renovation is a small enough amount that it's conceivable that a developer may not need financing.

It'd be nice to see someone take a crack at a rehab without dedicated parking. Granted, it would be a niche market, but I think there's a small diehard group of urbanists out there who would be happy to pay, say, $850/month rent instead of $1000/month and line up their own parking somewhere else, or not have parking at all. Or, save $50,000 or whatever off the cost of a condo. (If dedicated parking for the Vinton came out to $40,000 per space, I'd imagine the cost would be higher for a smaller, irregularly shaped building like the GAR.)

On a related note, I wonder if adding parking underneath the GAR would be a viable option. Would you be able to cut into the building, given the historic requirements?

Gistok

Post Number: 2873
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would probably lose the historic tax credits (not to mention losing a significan portion of the ground floor to a basement ramp) in order to do what you suggest Dougw.

IMHO, I believe that the city will be more eager to sell to someone that wants to turn it into an entertainment venue (restaurant, lounge, nightclub) than loft developments. But that's just my opinion.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poll:
Would anyone here live in a building downtown such as the Kales or the Vinton that didn't have an underground tunnel to parking or an attached parking garage? Would it deter you from living there even if you had to walk a block or two to a parking garage?

Folks who live in the Lofts of Merchants Row do as well as people who live at Woodward Center Lofts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.