Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Public School Auditoriums « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My work in the city takes me to a few elementary schools in the D. They are buildings from the '20s and are beautifully detailed (and marginally maintained), they were probably high schools back in the day.

I enjoy looking at the auditoriums, which, certainly not as splendid as Detroit's old movie theaters, are surprisingly interesting. Big stages, thick curtains, plaster decorations, huge windows, etc.

Are there any real gems in classic auditoriums within the public schools that are still standing or even gone? Pictures, stories?

(Message edited by ventura67 on September 28, 2006)

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fond memories of the auditorium at Clark Elementary on the Eastside.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The auditorium at Cooley High is really quite good, or at least it was 30 years ago. It was very close to being a movie palace. That was one of the most beautiful buildings that DPS built during the 20's.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would put in for the auditorium at the old Cass Tech. If it wasn't for the high school style seats you would think you were in a movie theater.
I believe the auditorium extended up to the third floor.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3781
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard stories that the auditorium at Henry Ford High School is acoustically a gem. Someone once told me back in the day when the DPS actually had funds for things like people to tune the school's pianos, that the piano tuners sent forth to do the job likened that auditorium to any of the finer concert venues in town.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

regarding the Cass Tech Auditorium...

iirc, it seated just over 3,000. 3061? 3062? While the balcony doors may have been on the third floor, it rose at least as high as the sixth. That was one high ceiling. I had occasion to crawl out above the ceiling while working on a show.

Something else we did was to climb the ladder up the inside wall of the stage up onto the grid. Straight vertical ladder run of maybe 60'. Then there was a 6 foot or so ladder that led from the grid up to this normal looking door in a rear hallway. That was on six. It was wild to open that door from the inside during a class change and crawl out. The view was clear all the way down to the stage through the steel of the grid.

Waaay back when, the DSO used to record at the Cass auditorium(50's?, 60's?). They would apparently hang curtains from the ceiling to close off the huge balcony for recording sessions. Having done that, the acoustics were good for taping. But it was one huge barn full of echoes otherwise.

Oh yeah we could also go under the first floor seats and reach up through the air vents in the floor under the seats. One could grab an ankle here and there. er umm before first hour when folks were hanging out. Not that I ever did that!

As large as it was, we used Masonic Tample across Cass Park for the graduation. At least we students thought the reason was due to class and multiple family members quickly adding up to more than it could hold.

ptero, taking the Imperial Express both ways, driven by Milt working a split shift.....

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always envious of these auditoriums when I was in high school, as the old Renaissance building had no auditorium at all. *sob*

I remember the auditorium at Larned Elementary very fondly, as I emceed a number of school events there as a child. I took them for granted as a kid and thought an auditorium was just one of those things every school had, like a principal's office. :-)

Although not a public school auditorium, I nearly wept the last time I was in Holy Redeemer High's auditorium (about 2003). All that glorious potential, crumbling along with the plasterwork.

No school should be without an auditorium. Watching a school try to put on an event in a gym or cafeteria is painful.

(Message edited by Moreta on September 29, 2006)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked the auditorium of my old HS East Detroit high I believe the building was built in 1917(old part)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Northern's auditorium used to have a green stained glass skylight that let the sunlight shine through. Unfortunately when the skylight started leaking in the 60s the roof was tarred over and the stained glass replaced with cardboard panels.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Waldorf School has a really interesting auditorium. I'm partial to the recently rehabbed 1928 auditorium at Grosse Pointe South, though, but the cafeteria there is nice enough for special events, too.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Detroit Waldorf School is an Albert Kahn design, built originally for The Liggett School.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm afraid I remember the principal's office much more than the auditorium. Hhhhmmmm. Wonder why.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Auditorium at Redford HS was pretty beautiful, except for the hard seats.It was built in 1922. When I was still in Elementary School, mom took me there to see the RHS Band's last concert before their trip to play in Austria...The place was packed.
By the time I got to RHS, there was no longer much of a music program, nor was there a theater program (but there was money for Lonnie Bates junkets and limos for all the DPS board members) The same year (my freshman year), an intentionally set fire destroyed a huge concert grand piano.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stellwagon Elementry on E. Outer Dr. had a huge auditorium and large stage.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some fond memories of the auditorium at my elementary school. In those days (early 60s), it hosted many a neighborhood event like school plays, scout meetings, neighborhood homeowners association meetings, Christmas pageants,etc. Last summer, one of my old classmates and I went by the school for a visit after nearly 40 years. What a surprise. The auditorium has been converted into a "cafetorium", a combination cafeteria and auditorium. The seats were all removed and replaced by collapsable benches, a crappy looking linoleum floor had been installed and the area that was once the stage is now the serving line. Time marches on.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have very fond memories of the auditoriums at both Kosciuszko and Hamtramck High School (formerly Copernicus School) in Hamtramck. I always thought it was so cool how the sloping aisles had the sparkly stuff in them like real theatres. I spent a lot of time backstage, on stage and in the "orchestra pit" at both places during my school years in Hamtramck.
I'm not sure if they still use the auditoriums, I would assume so.
Our "auditorium" at Gesu school, where I teach, is actually the gymnasium with the stage in it. And hey, we could really use some new curtains if anyone knows where we can get some....very cheaply or free!

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have memories of the Vernor School Auditorium not being very grand. at all...concrete block walls, acoustic tile ceiling, vinyl stage curtain but it was a real auditorium with curtains, and lighting and scenery and props and most amazing...AUDITORIUM TEACHERS !!! Miss Compeau and Miss Bruner.... Auditorium was a real class along with Art class, Music class and oh yes, they also made us go to math and science and........................... ....

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooley High has an auditorium that is fashioned after the Fox Theater. Almost as grand, too. I'll snap some pics on Monday and post.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot wait to see the Cooley High audutorium again. I have not seen the inside of it since 1972.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been in Redford HS auditorium and I thought that it was small like an elementary school's auditoriium-til I realized like a few HSs N the city-it had a 2nd story, but I still say that it's tiny. Henry Ford HS auditorium, on the other hand, looks like a cathedral, it was recently redone and cost a fortune. I will post pics of it when I get a chance. Finney's auditorium is slightly smaller, but the acoustics R OFF THE CHAIN! Kettering's, pretty much like King's Auditorium(s)-they're more contemporary and they resemble your modern movie theater. I've never been 2 Cooley, maybe 1 day I'll stop by and check it out. I 4got who mentioned it, but (the old) Cass Tech HS, THAT WAS AN AUDITORIUM, BABY! And it did go up 2 the 3rd floor-I will agree that those seats were a real (dog)! BTW, has any1 checked out Chadsey and Western Intl HS auditoriums? those too, R off the chain as well. Millenium HS (the teenage parent school across the street/next door 2 Redford HS), that 1 is probably smaller than an elementary school's auditorium.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Waxx... looks as though you get around to a lot of DPS auditoriums! By all means, if anyone's got pics, please post 'em.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do. Just give me some time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.