Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » France, Europe, and Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

not too long ago, there was a thread posted about the potential Detroit has in becoming a tourist destination for young Europeans and artists.

Yesterday, I recieved an invitation from a friend back in France: a major Techno festival is planned in Paris for December called: "R.U. Detroit".
There was one in Montmartre, Paris, Sept 7th. I am planning on going there for the December one.

The point is, Detroit does indeed have a very special place in the hearts of French & European artists/music lovers.
I know some on the forum are pessismistic about Detroit's future, but I think this is definitely something the city should tap into. So many friends of mine want to come and visit me: they are simply intrigued and fascinated by the city, more so, believe it, than NY or LA.

Detroit is seen by most European youth as the quintessential American modern artistic city.

Even though the website is in French, I just wanted some of you guys to check it out and see what Detroit is in the eyes of so many young Europeans.
http://detroit.techno.free.fr/

Please take a look at some of the videos posted on the website to immerse yourself in a European vision on Detroit.

Just thought I could share this. I also wanted to follow up on a vague idea I had: how would one proceed to create a City sponsored organisation that would foster cultural exchanges between France/Europe and Detroit?
Thanks for your insights, thoughts and comments!

As one of the videos on the website says:
"Detroit has three natural ressources: fresh water, salt and techno"

(Message edited by Frenchman_in_the_d on September 28, 2006)

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the BBC did a report on the state of cities through out the world. They went to Moscow, Beijing, Liverpool, and Detroit. They weren't very through, but it was still interesting.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

how would one proceed to create a City sponsored organisation that would foster cultural exchanges between France/Europe and Detroit?

Maybe http://www.sister-cities.org/ could help?

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit leaders spend so much time, energy, and money pandering to the suburbs. As you have pointed out, Frenchman_in_the_d, there's a whole demographic of enthusiasts waiting and willing to immerse themselves into Detroit's rich musical culture. Detroit should focus on its international appeal. Unfortunately, the city is not on the radar of the greater American community. The leaders must face this sobering fact. At the same time, Detroit is truly a unique city. Validation from international city enthusiasts could be the boost the city needs in order to become more appealing to US citizens (since city leaders are so focused on this front). Sad yet true nonetheless.

Have you ever thought about sending some form of correspondence to Mayor Kilpatrick to make him aware of this information?

If you do decide to send him the information, please let the forum know about the Mayor's response (if you happen to receive a response).

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To confirm Frenchman's point:

In 2004 I was visiting my ancestral hometown, basically a village of less than 10,000 people on the midpoint of Italy's Adriatic coast in Abruzzo.

While I was there they had a techno music festival called "Festival on the Beach."

The headliners were UR (Underground Resistance) from Detroit. DJ Rolando.

More than 30 years earlier, in the summer of 1972, when I went to the same beach, one of the most popular selections on the beach bar jukebox was "Kick Out the Jams" by the MC 5 (flip side on the jukebox: the MC 5's cover of "the Motor City's Burning" by John Lee Hooker).

I'm sure there are many more examples like this. They know and love Detroit music in Europe, and not just in the big cities. Even in the little out-of-the-way places they know us and love us.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parisians love Detroit while they are in Paris. I love Detroit when I'm in Paris. I love Detroit but not when I'm in Detroit. I love Detroit! Love is sometime like that!! Hard to define or describe!!! I even love Detroit when I'm in Montelabatte in Marche also along the midpoint of Italy's Adriatic coast and one of my ancestorial homes.

Livedog2

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

they are simply intrigued and fascinated by the city, more so, believe it, than NY or LA.

Interesting you mention this. An acquaintance of mine in Australia said this very thing. He was a pretty well known DJ in OZ during the 80's-90's (still does some DJ'ing today) and an absolute lover of Techno. He said he could care less about NY, LA or Chicago; for him it was all about Detroit/Techno.

I can't say I really follow this particular genre of music, even so, it still amazes me at how much more popular it is overseas, that it actually had to go overseas first before it made it here. Detroit didn't know what it had growing in it's own backyard at the time, but now that we know and the international music community knows, I'd love to see the city play it up.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends of ours from France visited us this summer and loved it, had a wonderful time. It's a mystery to me, I mean, I love Detroit but I love Paris. It was very nice but left me scratching my head.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit: the Jerry Lewis of American cities?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except for the French-Canadian tourists from Toronto I ran into after the Lions game who asked us where the shopping district was and why the city was so desolate. They didn't seem to think the place was all that hoppin'.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit does indeed have a very special place in the hearts of French & European artists/music lovers since the late 1980's when techno started to emerge. Lots of huge European festival's have been paying homage to Detroit music for years.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3037
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Euro / French fascination with of Detroit extends to our ruins. These two Parisian photographers were swept away by the D.

fab

Yves Marchand and Romain Neffre.

Detroit has a mystique of dual extremes, gigantic and magnificent decline accented with exciting edgy creativity and incredible chic -- as we well know, big problems and big promise.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will these Europeans come to Detroit and spend money in hotels and restaurants? What kind of money - a little or a lot?

What is their age range? What are their demographics: employed, professional, poor students? This audience may be a good tourism marketing target.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell, for the link to the photos of Yves Marchand and Romain Neffre. They are magnificent!

Livedog2

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see that the frenchies show not only the desolate & decrepit buildings in the City, (MCS, Lee Plaza, Packard), but also the magnificent (Guardian).
Also was surprised to see some of the abandonment of buildings in France/Europe, seems atypical.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tourists always spend money. Build a cheap youth hostel or two and you have tapped the traveling European youth.

Our mass transit is a problem though, as many people who might come would not be able to get around as they would like.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

En tant que francais, j'ai eu la chance de beaucoup voyager, de vivre sur trois continents, dans 14 pays et il n'y a qu'une ville, si moyenne soit-elle qui ait reussi a m'impressioner et a me faire rester aussi longtemps: la ville de Detroit.

@+

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northend,

t'es Francais?? T'aurais pu te prononcer un peu plus tot!
Tu es sur Détroit depuis quand? Ca me ferait bien plaisir qu'on se capte un de ces 4...

Détroit est un endroit fabuleux... en effet.

As to the questions some of you asked: I am no expert in the matter, but it seems that the potential touristic demographic for Detroit englobes many different social-groups.
I'd guess they are not big spenders and fans of Sheratons, Westin Book Cadillacs, etc. As Chow mentioned, youth hostels are the answer.
Nevertheless, European youth has the strange habit I share with them on spending disproportionately on bars, pubs and shopping.

Once again, I would really appreaciate some detailed help on how a city/mayor's office sponsored association should be started. How do I write to the mayor?
Would it be better to write to Roger Penske?

I really believe in this venture, and if Detroit embarked today on a, even very modest, tourist advertising in Europe for art, techno/music/culture, they already have an audience waiting and ready to spend some dollars, and probbly help us improve the city!

Yes mass-transit is a huge handicap, Detroit still lacks many touristic amenities and tourist-infrastructures in general. But we have to start somewhere...

Thanks to all of you very much

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northend - Ca m'a fait rigoler!
Northend - That makes me laugh!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would write to the Detroit visitor’s bureau. http://www.visitdetroit.com/ and the mayor's offcie. It can't hurt to try.

Northend

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs...de quoi? de parler en francais ou bien "Detroit est une ville moyenne"...je dois dire que j'ai ete assez genereux en choisissant le mot "moyenne"

@+

Northend

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F_i_t_D: t'es downtown?

Northend

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman....Je travaille pour Renault-Nissan, je vais rester a Detroit encore deux semaines, mais vu la tournure des negotiations entre Renault et GM, je pense rester de facon permanente. On va bientot mettre le drapeau francais en haut du RenCen :-)

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northend, je suis sur Ann Arbor... étudiant à U of M. J'ai transferé de Sciences Po vers les US. il y a 3 ans.

Alors, on se voit quand?

Northend, tu te charges de planter le drapeau Francais sur le RenCen, et je me charge de ramener les "touristes" francais ici et repeupler la ville. On reprendra ce qui nous appartient!

Northend de la Mothe Cadillac!
haha! :-)

Northend

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman..je vais aller a A2 pour le match UofM/State en octobre (le 7 je crois). On va etre une quinzaine a se blinder le foie pendant le tailgating. Sinon, si tu viens a Detroit, on va boire l'apero quand tu veux.

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Envoie moi un courriel quand tu seras sur A2
salemgh(arobase)umich(point)ed u

je devrai normalement etre au match... tronchage de gueule au programme aussi ;-)

ecris moi a l'avance!
ciao

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is like Baywatch actor David Hasselhoff... folks in the USA don't think too much about him... but Europeans are crazy about him...

3dim
Username: 3dim

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

merde

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol how true gistok, and I agree with shave push this city to foreigners who dont know much or like what they do know about the city, not the jaded cynical Americans who already have their minds made up. Alot of cities that have experienced growth in the last 30 years or so have done so largely in part because of immigration I think we should get on the bandwagon and quick. And if you all figure out a way to get in contact with someone who matters in this subject let me know id love to write them too.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 586
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northend - Je suis heureux que tu parle francais. Je rigole parce que j'ai passe quatre mois a Paris apres que j'ai recu mon diplome et j'ai voyage en Europe. Je dirais que Detroit est un trou en comparaison avec les villes en Europe.
Je serai tres heureux si vous mettez le drapeau francais sur le RenCen. Je travaille chez GM et je n'ai pas encore reussi de trouver un travail chez GM qui me permet de parler francais.

I'm happy that you speak french. I'm laughing because I spent four months in Paris after I received my degree and I traveled in Europe. I would say that it would be difficult to compare Detroit to a city in Europe. I'm happy that your going to drape the French flag over the RenCen where I work. I haven't been able to find a job at GM where I can speak French on a regular basis.

Jeppy
Username: Jeppy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman & Northend:

a little more France in Detroit... Petanque is played daily in Michigan. The Detroit Petanque Club plays boule weekdays, 12-1pm and Saturdays 11:30a-5pm at Campus Martius Park. On Sundays, in Royal Oak. Come by and join us. www.detroitpetanque.com

Jeff
President
Detroit Petanque Club

Northend

Post Number: 938
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeppy,
already came and i was turned away b/c "another person was needed to form a team"
We were two and that missing third person was absolutely undeniably unquestionably necesssary to form a team to enjoy une partie de petanque.
So I went home and had a glass of Pastis anyway, all was not lost :-)

Northend

Post Number: 939
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs,
Je suis d'accord avec toi, Detroit est un trou mais je ne voulais vexer personne sur ce forum

English: Detroit has come a long way and it is weeks, months in a worse case scenario, to becoming a gorgeous city that should not blush in the face of European cities like Paris, Milan, Barcelona, Prague, etc.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 650
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

English: Detroit has come a long way and it is weeks, months in a worse case scenario, to becoming a gorgeous city that should not blush in the face of European cities like Paris, Milan, Barcelona, Prague, etc.

Oh Monsieur La Fin du Nord, quel menteur! :-) Si Lowell comprend le français, tu serra barré dans un instant et tu devra déménager à HFD tout de suite, comme tous les autres. (je ne peux pas écrire le nom de la site, apparement c'est automatiquement bloqué)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too agree that youth hostels are a big part of the solution for youth travel. In fact I think they would be a hit with US kids too. My exposure to Europe in my early twenties was made financially possible and lenghty due youth hostels.

Mass transportation is a problem, but if a hostel the location was downtown and near say the Woodward bus line, much could be done. Remember most Europeans are used to doing a little walking and waiting.

I even learned a lot of French in the process GB.

The photographers Marchand and Neffre will be back in the D for a week in November.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'd be nice to see Detroit's true founders start filtering back into the city. They gotta feel at least a little bit at home with all the French street names. It's also great to see so many artists coming to Detroit. Frenchman, please speak with your contacts to bring notice to one of Detroit's untapped assets.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, OK, guys. We may not all parlez francais, but I think when you say Detroit est un trou, you're saying Detroit is a hole, n'est-ce pas?

Bonne Chance.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So ein blödes gepappel... warum sprechen die alle nur fremdsprachen??

Northend

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

themax.....absolument

....absolutely

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.