Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Famous Coachman back on the radio Friday at 6PM « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsocks2002
Username: Mrsocks2002

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tune into WFMU tonight at 6pm! And if you miss it, you can still check it out in the WFMU archives.

Famous Coachman
Friday, September 29th, 6pm - 7pm
on Aircheck
This gravel-voiced blues DJ started off doing his radio show on WGTR, broadcasting directly from his Detroit area record shop. In 1976, he moved to WDET-FM where he kicked off his 21 year reign as host of the nation's longest continually-running blues show. Tonight's Aircheck takes an hour snapshot of this enigmatic jock's late night residence.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the Coachman.

Lord I miss the good ol' days when he was on WDET and ramble throughout every song he'd play. To a certain degree I found it annoying that he spoke over the music but then some of the stuff he spoke was so meaningful I couldn't help but over look it and marvel at his knowledge. He was truly a legend here.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope he brings along Koko Taylor and Bobo Jenkins records.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 718
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enigmatic? Coachman never used his birth name, but he was hardly an enigma.
He was a warm, sincere, friendly man, with a strong sense of self...he championed the blues, and the people who played 'em. He knew his stuff.
Coachman would arrive for his show with his entourage, (including Caccey, always) who looked after the Great Man's radio needs...cueing records, answering phones, sometimes getting food, opening the door (always a steady flow of musicians, fans, friends to hang with the Coachman). Sometimes he'd be accompanied by Livvy (Olivia), who later became Mrs Coachman. A warm gracious woman.
He had a unique style and sound. I don't like to wax nostalgic, but those years at WDET really were special. "Hey, Hey the blues is allright"

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good evening Detroit and neighboring cities.......Man I miss Coahman and Fred Z's Gone but not forgtton....Saturday night has never been that cool on DET since their departure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.