Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Neighborhood research then and now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may have been discussed at length in the past but I couldn't find anything of this sort in the thread I've looked in. The "what are your memories?" thread got me thinking that there are so many neighborhoods that I really don't know.

I have been doing a lot of research on Detroit over the past few years and am mostly interested in ethnic patterns and the current status of each and every neighborhood in Detroit. I am very unfamiliar with most of the far east and northeast neighborhoods (I've never been to some) and some on the northwest side. What I would like is to gather information on any of these or other neighborhoods so I can make it a point to visit. The problem is I live in Germany so this is somewhat difficult for me, so you are my eyes and ears and I thank you in advance for anything you can provide me to give me and others a good idea about Detroit neighborhoods.

For example my neighborhood:

Franklin Park
Bounded by: Plymouth, Rouge Park, Joy, and the Southfield FWY

Parks: Rouge to the west, and Stein Playfield

High Schools: Detroit Cody

Churches: . St. Suzanne Our Lady Gate of Heaven Parish

Commercial district: Joy Rd and Evergreen Rd

Ethnicity 1980 and before: Mostly Polish, Italian, and German

Ethnicity now: Mostly African American with some older Italian and Polish families.

Good neighborhood? (Considering safety, family activities, service, shopping, neighborhood associations, crime, etc.): The neighborhood was in some decline in the 1990s but seems to have rebounded slightly. The area between Plymouth and W. Chicago is still solid with houses that seem to be well kept and most yards uncluttered and maintained. Some issues between Joy and W.Chicago now with abandoned houses and a few empty lots. Detroit Cody still in decent condition outside and inside.

Rouge Park is hit or miss from what I've seen. At times when I've visited it seemed unkempt but this summer it looked pretty good on the Evergreen side. When I was a kid you could walk around in the Rouge and never get hassled even at night. Last time I was there at night three years ago it was sketchy.

Would I walk my small dog but very tough dog (he thinks he's tough anyway) in the neighborhood at night(this is my ultimate neighborhood test)? Yes but not far. I would around the areas between Plymouth and Chicago but probably not in the Rouge which is unfortunate. The area is still decent and there are a lot of people in this neighborhood who still care, but there are a few issues with larceny, auto theft, and teenagers on the streets at all times of the night. All in all though I think my Dad and I feared in the 90s this neighborhood would go the way of Highland Park or the near west side. Well it hasn't happened and the area south to Warrendale is still nice and the Park area to the west also has some decent streets left.

Other notes: Any asides or relevant information that ties to the neighborhood makeup now or twenty/thirty/forty years ago and your thoughts on the future of a specific area. I'd like to take the information and use it as a tour guide for my next trip home so I really can't say it enough, thank you for any relevant information you can provide.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has Danny written all over it...

Lombaowski

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm hoping this is a good thing.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper/ Van Dyke
Originally Polish enclave especially west of Van Dyke all the way to Hamtramck.

Most childeren went to Catholic schools in the area: St. Thomas, St. Cyril.

Commercial district: Harper Ave. from Gratiot to Concorde. Van Dyke from Lynch Rd. to Harper.

2 Movie theaters, Easttown, and one at Harper and Concorde which is currently doing service as a church. Also home to many groceries, bakeries, Cunningham's and dime stores, as well as Federal's Department Store in it's heyday up until the late 60's.

Ethnicity now: Mostly African-American, however even most of them have left the west side of Van Dyke and Miller Road. The area is slated for an industrial park and the few remaining homes have been demolished for this purpose.

Good Neighborhood? What neighborhood? As Stated, it's mostly torn down now, and there is little life of Miller now. Lowell did some excellent photoghapy of the demo of St. Cyril's on an earlier link.

Other Notes: I have held this area near and dear to my heart as its where my parents grew up until they were married and moved to 7 Mile and Gratiot in 1970.

A few weeks ago, on a Saturday night I drove through the streets and the few signs of life i saw were at the Firehouse on Miller, and an old factory further down Miller. I cannot explain the comfort it was to me to see activity in said factory, but on that HOT, STICKY NIGHT, I felt comfort. It was like I had come 'home' to the place of my ancestor's days...

Detroitej72...Eastside Pride

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

______________________________ ___________________

To hell with Danny and his racist bull$#!t. It is a sad day when one has to hate the color of his own skin.

Let's keep this thread alive with real postings.

Detroitej72

Lombaowski

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:crickets:

On the bright side I'm reading Made in Detroit: A South of 8 Mile Memoir. I'm getting some northeast Detroit learning there.

Kenny
Username: Kenny

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad grew up on Vaughn (near W. Chicago and Evergreen) in the 50's and early 60's before the family moved out to the wilds of Northern Oakland County. He has talked a lot about growing up there. He went to McColl Elementary School and would have went to Cody H.S. had he not moved away before high school. His family attended Evergreen Village Prebyterian Church on the corner of W. Chicago and Evergreen. He has gone back to the old neighborhood and he has said everything now looks so depressed. There were numerous thriving businesses both on Plymouth and Joy Rd., but the area now looks abandoned with very little activity. All of the old neighbors have long since moved out of the city or died. My Dad has said this was a real great neighborhood to grow up in and the schools were the best around. There was no crime and you could leave your doors unlocked and nobody would bother you. Things have changed now with most homes having burgular alarms and so many of the homes are not well maintained. It is sad. I hope this area and all of Detroit does make a real comeback, but this will only happen if there is good honest city government which is committed to serving the residents and not advancing themselves and their friends' interests.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<--- Franklin Park homeboy. Grew up on Piedmont near Cathedral!

Lombaowski

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kenny. I think my Grandfather remembered it the same way and it was great when I was a small child, but we did lock our doors. I'm pretty sure one of my Dad's brothers went to McColl but they moved up north on Evergreen in the 60's.

Detroit Planner how old are you? Was there a kid named Kenny Barr in your neighborhood? He lived on Piedmont close to Joy and he was a great football player. He left Detroit in the mid eighties and went to Indiana. He also saved me from getting my ass kicked more than once when I was shooting my mouth off to Cody kids. I lived on Westwood near Orangelawn. Ever play ball at Mann?

Any other inputs on surrounding neighborhoods like Herman Gardens or Weatherby or any on the east-side are appreciated. After reading Made in Detroit the East Side sounded like an interesting place.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I had something more to add to this, because I thoroughly did enjoy reading the thread about "Detroit Memories" and what it was like growing up. However, being a high school senior and a 3rd generation Detroiter, I don't have any of my own experiences to add. I love hearing my parents and grandparents talk about the prosperity and the amazing city that they called home.

I'd like to learn a little about my mom's old neighborhood from a different perspective. The last time I had a chance to visit about 3 weeks ago, with my mom as the skeptic passenger, I had an interesting experience...

Anyway, she used to live on the corner of Lakeview and Warren on the East Side (Area bounded by Chandler Park/Alter/Conner/Mack). My grandfather owned a small store on the corner across the street. The store no longer exists but the house is still there. My mom went to St John Birchman (sp?) through 8th grade and then to Servite High School.

If anyone has any information or stories regarding this neighborhood, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a great neighborhood to grow up in the 40's and 50's. Everybody had a job and us kids had lots of fun before TV ruined it. I lived at Wayburn and E. Warren. Went to Peace Lutheran School. Played ball in the street. Sledding on the hill at Balduck Park. All Germans, Polish, Italians got along great. Wish my grandkids could live like we did.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.