Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Go Blue or Go Green? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that wonder tradtion, the state of Michigan is about to be divided into Blues and Greens.

Your thoughts on the upcoming MSU-UM game.....

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU has no damn chance in winning, I have no faith in John L Smith. As of now I'm working on selling the rest of my student ticks for msu home games.

My prediction
U of M 41
MSU 10

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sad to say it, but I dont think my Spartans have it in them this year, as most.

With that said, I'll never stop cheering for them.

GO GREEN!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu Says "Go Blue !"

Swgz31

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now don't get me wrong I always want MSU to win, but I just don't think they will next weekend.

One of my buddies got me ticks to the student section for the game next weekend, I'll be decked out in green and i'll probably pay for it too lol.

Go White!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be curious to know how many of the UM fans in the metro area actually went to school there, work there, or have any affiliation whatsoever.

I'm guessing 90+% of scum fans are bandwagoners.

Swgz31

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing irritates me more than your typical U of M bandwagoner.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that there are more MSU fans who have no affilation than U of M fans. Especially in the Metro Area

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like MSU fans pulling the "you didn't go to school there" card especially with the clever "scUM" reference (I've never that before).

If only every team would have "true" fans like Michigan State. With the enormous amount of "bandwagon" fans plus the pro-UM media, it's amazing how they have stuck around for so long, together, through thick and thin, remembering the great times of the 1988 Rose Bowl and the bad times like the tenure of Bobby Williams.

God Bless Michigan State Fans...the only "true" fans in the state (besides Tiger fans who went to games in '03)

(Message edited by umstucoach on October 02, 2006)

Detroitstar

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All but 3 counties in Michigan have more MSU alumni living in them. It speaks to the notion that outside of Washtenaw, Genesee and Wayne Counties (all have UM campuses), there is little affiliation to UM in this state. Source: Lansing State Journal, front page article on gameday, 2005. I'm looking for my scan of it.

UM has a great tradition of athletic excellence (I'm not trying to deny that, however it's obvious that the majority of their fans in the state are bandwagoners...which speaks to the true pedigree. They seem to be fans when they are winning, and when the team is losing they find a new team (see last season).

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What arrogance to assume MSU has more affiliated fans. Proof???

UM finally made it this far without a careless loss. There's room on the bandwagon for all.

Go Blue!!

UM 21
MSU 7

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week's game was fought for the Little Brown Jug.
Now it's for the Paul Bunyan Trophy.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rediculous! [purposely SIC]

Who cares if someone who has no official affiliation with a school still chooses to root for them. My father, who never attended college, started going to Michigan football games shortly after he immigrated to this country in the late 50's, mostly due to business. That was back when they weren't continually near the top of the conference, and State was actually the bigger Michigan powerhouse. Starting with those games, he has become a life-long Michigan fan. Now that my sis & I have attended the fine university, he may have a real connection (via his wallet), but had we chosen to go elsewhere, he still would have been a fan.

This band-wagon lament is just another lame attempt for State fans to find fault with Michigan (believe me, most of my friends went to State and they all repeat it). There is plenty of room for fans of all types to cheer for UM or State, why qualify them?

That said, due to injuries to Stanton & Ringer, I think MSU will have a tough time against the Blue this weekend.

Michigan rolls.
UM 35
Sparty 17

Go Blue!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont get me wrong, Michigan has thousands of affilited fans. I'm just saying that in the state of Michigan, the nod has to go to MSU. UM fans are more bandwagoners, or what I prefer to call "Wal Mart Wolverines".

MSU/UM alumni breakdown in Michigan

Umstucoach

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare we consider the fact that people might like a school that they didn't attend?

Because if they do, we can label them "Bandwagoners"

I hate this argument! I hate this argument! I hate this argument! It really shows the inferiority complex of many (not all) State fans; the need to prove that their fan base is somehow better than Michigan's because their fans have some sort of affiliation with the university, somehow making their fans more "loyal" and thereby making them "better." While at the same time labeling Michigan fans as CC dropouts living in a moble home in Downriver.

It's laughable I say, laughable

Detroitstar

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"While at the same time labeling Michigan fans as CC dropouts living in a mobile home in Downriver."

Then how do you explain this:

Typical UM fan

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there are more farms in the out state areas State, so MSU has a tie right there into most communities.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/StateF acts/MI.HTM

/image{picture}

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scum fans? I had the pleasure of going to both schools, graduated from the UM. Once at MSU I locked the dorm room, hung the UM flag out the window and played the Victors full blast.
In the words of Bob Ufer, "How dare they call us arrogant asses." That was a slap in the face wasnt it John L.
UM 35 MSU 3

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAH!

So what do you call a fan with no affilliation to a perrenial loser? A moron? Cuz we're assuming you can only root for a school because of their record, right? And I don't know why you'd pick a loser.

I'm so glad I went to Tigers games in 03' so Swgz31 and Detroitstar will approve of me going to the first playoff series in Detroit in almost 20 years. Couldn't enjoy myself otherwise...

Detroitstar

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, I'm not saying you MUST have affiliation with a school to be a fan. I'm just saying that seems to be quite a popular trend in this state. Quite frankly, I dont mind if someone is an MSU, UM or whatever fan. Each scool deserves to have fans of all sorts. I was simply making an observation.

Umstucoach

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd be curious to know how many of the UM fans in the metro area actually went to school there, work there, or have any affiliation whatsoever.

I'm guessing 90+% of scum fans are bandwagoners.

Some observation there, throwing out an unproven statistic (again, the scum reference, nice).

You say now that you really don't care, that it is just an observation of a "trend." Yet from that quote I find that hard to believe.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all pay taxes to support both schools, root for whomever you like.

Zulu Says "Go Blue!"

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl and Zulu put it best.
I like both schools, I root for MSU everytime they play(cept when they play Michigan), which really bothers Spartan Alumni since I went to U of M. Frankly I don't understand the instate rivalry that well, especially the caustic nature of MSU fans toward anyone that sports Maize and Blue. Granted I only lived in Michigan for ten years, I just think the rivalry is somewhat one sided. Most U of M fans don't wish for plague and pestilence on East Lansing or call it a whore like those in EL do.

MSU will come to play this weekend but it won't be enough to walk away from the Big House with the Paul Bunyan trophy.
U of M 31
MSU 21

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someone has no connection to either school, why wouldn't they follow the Michigan football team over MSU? Michigan has a superior football program, deal with it.

Similiarly I'm sure the MSU basketball program draws higher ratings in this state because they have a better program. People like watching successful programs that garner national attention and do well in the post season.

John L bitch-slapping himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VkKGD-O1WLI

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haggelrock

The truth is that Ohio State is Michigan's Rival, MSU/UM is more about fun and in state bragging rights

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More childish Spartan perceptions. Even her best players feel inferior.

"More times than not, you don't have a dislike for people that actually went to Michigan," he said. "It's the thousands and thousands of bandwagon people that jump on there that went to community college and, all of a sudden, they're Michigan fans because Michigan's No. 1 in the nation."

WTF? Seriously, what does that accomplish?

Umstucoach

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, when is the last time Michigan has been #1?

It's like this in other parts of the nation. Purdue fans feel this way about Indiana, Pitt fans feel this way about Penn State, Okie State fans feel this way about OU, TAMU fans feel this way about Texas.

quote:

It's the thousands and thousands of bandwagon people that jump on there that went to community college

I guess I know some people who should only root for the Schoolcraft, Henry Ford or WCCC. and if you didn't go to college, your SOL, better start rooting for the Lions and no other teams because you can't claim a college team, then you'd be jumping on the bandwagon.

Umstucoach

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I should talk about the UM/MSU game (a good chance to calm down).

In 2004, that game will be rememberd by both sides, for good and bad. Michigan fans will remember Braylon's takeover in the fourth. Spartan fans will point out that their quarterback for much of the game was an un-Stanton like Damon Dowdell (of the Rutgers game fame).

In 2006 they return to Michigan Stadium. Stanton has never beaten Michigan, and Michigan State hasn't won since 2001 (Spartan Bob game to Michigan fans). The Spartans are coming off of two very dissapointing losses at the hands of Notre Dame (a 17 point comeback in the fourth) and Illinois (Ron Zook's first conference win, IN HIS SECOND YEAR). Stanton went out with an injury, but is probable. However, one of their two good running backs, Javon Ringer, is gone. Jehuu Caulkrick (sp?) is a large powerful back. To replace Ringer, look for youngser A.J. Jimmerson (speed back) to give Jehuu a break once in a while. Receivers such as Trannon, Scott, and Love are good targets, yet they need more consistancy. OL has been banged up a little bit, but they are large and have traditionally under John L. have held their own against Michigan. Defensively, Adams, Herron, and Thornhill are decent linebackers. DBs have some size. The DL seems to be a weak point for them, they don't have the consistant rush like last year, yet they do a decent job.

Michigan comes in 5-0 after a 28-14 win in the Metrodome, holding Minnesota to their worst rushing total in a couple years. The defensive line is stout: Woodley, Biggs, Branch, and Taylor bring both a strength and athleticism that hasn't been seen on a Michigan DL in quite some time. The consistant play of David Harris in the middle allow other linebackers such as Burgess and Crable to be more aggressive. The secondary is a concern with Charles Stewart having a bad game against the Gophers. Morgan Trent will come back this week with a cast however because of a broken bone in his hand. On offense, Mike Hart drives the offense. Slow and small, his ability to weave through the holes and pick his spots, crucial in a zone blocking scheme, has allowed for a consistant running attack. Chad Henne has matured as a qb, but also Manningham and Arrington have become viable targets, allowing Henne more than one option.

To the "experts" this game seems like a Michigan cake-walk. Instead of starting the Sparty slide in October it started to slide in mid-September. John L. will be coaching for his job, Stanton will be playing for a victory against the hated rival. Michigan State has talent, as in most years Michigan State has the talent, but other factor have been preventing them from taking the next step, yet because they have the talent, they can play with anybody, anywhere. When properly motivated, they can beat just about anybody in the nation. No doubt, they will be properly motivated for the Michigan game, save a season, save a job, save a legacy, and beat your arch-rival in the process. Any Michigan fan who sees this game like the 49-3 2002 game will be sorely dissapointed.

Key Matchup: Michigan State OC Dave Baldwin vs. Michigan DC Ron English. Offensive success has not been a problem under John L. Yet Michigan's defense under English has taken on a new attitude, a change from the "Oh crap I hope we don't lose it in the fourth" Jim Hermann attitude. They attack better, they press better, they tackle better. They are a better unit from the past. The key here is if Baldwin, who does his best and most innovative coaching in close ball games and not when they have a 17 pt. lead, can keep the Michigan defense off-balance and try to protect Stanton with his sore ribs, then they'll have a shot in the fourth, an that is all you can ask of any team in a rivally game, a chance. If the d-line of Michigan can get loose however, this game will not be in doubt.

I pick Michigan (I'm a Michigan fan, who'd else would I pick). This game is close. If I were a betting man and saw this line, I'd pick MSU. Michigan, less than a touchdown.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the loss of Ringer might be too much for MSU to overcome. Though AJ Jimmerson and Jehuu Caulcrick are both solid backs, neither of them have the ability to get around the ends with the decent speed of the UM linebackers.

If MSU wants to stay in the game, they must prove to be able to stop the run. Mike Hart ran all over MSU last season, and he'll do it again. Putting 8 in the box is solid, but then it opens up the air game for Chad Henne who has looked great as of late.

3 names that can save the day for MSU: Nehemiah Warrick, Otis Whiley, Drew Stanton. If Drew can play as well as we have all seen at times, then we've got a shot. However, if the coaches close the playbook as we've seen a couple times this year in key situations, there is no way MSU will win.

I think it's going to come down to what team executes in the 4th quarter. The first team to 31 will win. I would love to pick with my heart, but I've got to be honest about it. I think it will end something like: UM 37, MSU 31. God I hope I'm wrong.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think that there are more MSU fans who have no affilation than U of M fans. Especially in the Metro Area

The affilation argument I think comes up becuase you have high school graduates making fun of college graduates and their university.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it's funny for Stanton to say that considering he's the morality king. Recruited from Oregon to play HS football at FH Harrison.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a MSU student and I am a bitter bastard when it comes to football games mainly because every game Ive ever went to theyve lost and ive been to like 5. I do think however MSU is either going to upset Michigan or OSU or who knows both of them, thats just the way they are. MSU has a really good record against top 10 teams oddly, and if I had to pick one for us to beat it would have to be UofM since I would love to see us beat our chief rival before I graduate.

Even though Michigan appears to be really good this year I LOVE to see them lose because next to Notre Dame, Michigan football has to be the most overrated progam in the country. They can go 8-4 and the assholes on ESPN will still kiss their asses and that really aggrivates me especially after they literlly laughed at us after the ND game. But dont mind me Im just a bitter Spartan.

MSU 31
UM 24

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget being a bandwangoner! I have love everything about Michigan since I first layed eyes on them, the look the prestiege the logo. Michigan ROCKS! I like MSU, but everybody at some point in their lives have liked the Woverines. GO BLUE! 313

P.S. STOP HATING!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu says, "Go Blue!"

Umstucoach

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

31-13

no doubt

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.