Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit on Wikipedia « Previous Next »
Today's (10/2/06) featured article on Wikipedia: DetroitHornwrecker10-02-06  11:48 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

today's featured article on wikipedia is detroit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M ain_Page

a nice interesting read at least.

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good publicity because alot of people visit that site. I am always intrested to see what the featured article is. I am glad to see that it is Detroit today.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this in the article on Detroit in Wikipedia.

"The stylish lofts of the refurbished Metropolitan Building downtown are a short walk from the city's Greektown entertainment district."

I certainly wish so. Maybe one day.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they meant Kales, but yeah I hope so too on the Met.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cadillac factory pictured, was located at Amsterdam and Cass (1903-21), not on Clifford as the Detroit wiki says.

Anybody registered there, so it can be corrected?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at the Metro area statistics... the ones for Philadelphia include areas include populations in New Jersey, Delaware AND Maryland. Geeze, we can't even get Windsor into our count... how fair is that?? And good lord, is Maryland any farther from Philadelphia than Flint, Ann Arbor or Toledo are from Detroit?? (Which are not part of Detroit's count)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand Windsor not being counted, as it is a completely different country, but I think Ann Arbor and Flint should be included.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, usually when you see World Metro Area statistics Windsor is included in the Detroit total...

But on the world scene Detroit is even farther behind, due to the exploding population of high birthrate world cities... Djakarta, Cairo, Mexico City, Sao Paolo, Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago, and a plethora of cities in China and India.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't see it as very practical for the U.S. Census Bureau to include a foreign city in the Detroit MSA.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cadilllac plant photo caption has been corrected to read:

A photograph of the Cadillac Motor Car Co. Main Plant on Cass Ave. at Amsterdam St. in Detroit, circa 1910

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the quick service. I spent a bit of time going over the details in that photo to pinpoint it.

Mikeg

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the error possibly came about when the original author of this Wikipedia image misconstrued the note "129 Clif." on negative. on the American Memory website where he found this image, to mean that it was the street address.

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two pictures of DDOT and SMART buses?

Someone needs to step their picture game up. Theres a LOT to see here.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikeg, you beat me to the correction game. Nice to see Detroit featured on Wiki. The article has grown in size and quality lately. Good stuff.

Should I go ahead and change that sentence about the Metropolitan Building to the Kales instead? You could basically substitute one for the other and it would still be true. Also, at the top of the page on the right-hand facts sidebar, Kwame is listed with a "D" after his name even though the Detroit council and mayor are all technically non-partisan. Is that worth changing?

(Message edited by Kilgore_South on October 02, 2006)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In 2006, a state-of-the-art cruise ship dock was added to Hart Plaza."

I went looking for the state of the art cruise ship dock but just couldn't seem to find it. Anybody know where this cruise ship dock is?

Mikeg

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilgore_south,

I didn't touch the sentence about the Metropolitan Building/Greektown entertainment district because I am not knowledgeable enough to craft a more factually correct statement.

I agree with you on removing the (D), since the text clearly states, "The city government is run by a mayor and nine-member city council and clerk elected on an at-large nonpartisan ballot."

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'll probably get on that in the morning if nobody else beats me to it.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not sure if I read it on the wikipedia data a few months ago but as far as including flint, windsor, and toledo into our SSMA if those areas are included that makes the area the 4th most populated in the US only after chicagoland. Pretty impresive I think. THe wikipedia article paints a nice picture of the city. IF you search for metro areas or SSMA's you can find more about our ranking in population

Grey
Username: Grey

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mention of a cruise ship docking area would be the planned Port Authority Terminal. It seems to me that it is to be somewhere between Hart Plaza and the Ren Cen. It's interesting that it got mentioned on the Wiki article before being actually built.

Anyone else have more information on this? All I could come up with by searching the archives is the following:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/65947.html

Only one sentence mentions the planned terminal.

Grey
Username: Grey

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Changing the subject from from the article on the city itself, Wikipedia has no article on the Grande Ballroom. That is an omission needs to be corrected.

It is mentioned in a very simple article on Russ Gibb, but even that article needs some work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Gibb

(Message edited by grey on October 10, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.