Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Slate's take on Mitch Albom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I'm not the only one that isn't a fan.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10710
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me like somebody (Bryan Curtis) has manlove for Mr Albom.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 716
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...a huckster evangelist for the soccer-mom set.

Ouchy.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Albom is literally a teller of fables, a peddler of shallow morality tales for the masses. You can see it in his risible sports writing, and you can see it in his best-selling books... Albom's writing is deeply felt, and dimly thought. He's a huckster evangelist for the soccer-mom set."

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tugs at the heart and clouds the mind."

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Journalistic integrity went out the window when Mitch pulled that MSU stunt. He should've been shown the door if the Freep had any will & conviction.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scab

Smogboy

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That too.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stand Mitch. I can't read his articles anymore.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 834
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got turned off on him over the flack on that MSU deal. Freep staff almost to a man (or woman) went on record as saying they didn't like him because he was a stand-offish prima donna.

Pity, because he IS a good writer.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

despite his whining demeanor, i listened to his show regularly on am 760...then i heard him one day challenging somebody on the importance of integrity. this remark came on the heels of "spartangate," and i'm sure the studio winced collectively along with many radio listeners.

that was the end of the line for me.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me thinks him got too busy counting the money in his bank account and forgot about the truth but that's not unusual with his ilk! Besides, the truth doesn't sell as well as smaltzy fiction anyway!! But, I haven't noticed him doing any postings on DY so, "Say la vi!" He proly won't give a schitt what we say here. :-) But, it's fun to say it anyway. Besides, I've been getting a cramp on the "...Polish..." thread! :-) "Yakshemash?" :-)

Livedog2

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like people either love him or hate him, there's no in between. Me, I'm a hater.

On the radio he's too condescending and preachy for me. He always comes across as if he's sitting on top of some mountain dispensing wisdom to what he sees as the dopes below him.

I've never read any of his books and it's been years since I read one of his columns.

(Message edited by rjk on October 02, 2006)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno people. Everyone sounds pretty harsh on Mitch Albom.

His journalistic error while wrong, seemed to be more a reflection of arrogance than of a liar or cheat. Pundits of his nature usually will have at least a small measure of arrogance.
It comes with the territory of talk radio and in comparison to other talk show radio hosts, Mitch seems more placid.

We all want to take down the big guy, but while never forgetting his jounalistic error coming from boldness, I think Mitch provides solid, idyllic views on the typical events of the modern, average man.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of WHY Mitch wrote what he did is still wrong. It harms not just his integrity but the paper that publishes it. It would've been one thing to write it as a story (that would have the outlet of possibly being fictional) but when he wrote that article, he wrote it as factual- as if he observed it himself. As a journalist, that is NEVER done because of the long ranging effects it can have. People are supposed to be able to pick up the paper and read facts. When Mitch stepped across that line- he tarnished his reputation as someone who can report the facts and be a witness to life. Being bold and being a journalist are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum; one can report the news boldly- one doesn't fabricate it in order to make it bolder.

I don't doubt his writing ability and his ability to spin a wonderfully fanciful and wonderful yarn but keep that off of the newspapers.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bold" ...to describe, in a newspaper, something that didn't happen yet? I guess you could call it bold.

But it's also a prediction, a hope, a hallucination, even yes -- a lie ...it's everything but journalism, which is the (sometimes) boring truth.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's not a journalist, he's a columnist. But he shouldn't write something as if he witnessed it.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columnists aren't journalists? Wow. That'll be news to a lot of people.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:-On the radio he's too condescending and preachy for me. He always comes across as if he's sitting on top of some mountain dispensing wisdom to what he sees as the dopes below him.

______________________________ ___________________

Who on talk radio is not preachy? The only difference between Mitch and others on the radio is he's not a mouthpiece for the Republican Party.

As far a his skills as a writer, he is great at story telling. As a columnist, he is entitled to write OPIONIONS, however, his mistake was to pass off fiction as fact.

Detroitej72

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your mistake is thinking that was the only time Mitch has committed that particular sin.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albom has not written anything worth reading in at least 10 years. And that god-awful radio show is beyond sappy. Bryan Curtis hit a lot of nails right on the head.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.