Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » GM, Nissan & Renault. Stick a fork in it, they're done. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I speculated when this came up, GM obviously sees little advantage to a merger with Nissan and Renault.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061004/NEW S99/61004007

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good.

gm is better off without.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This clears the way for Ford to get bought up by Nissan Renault.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This clears the way for Ford to get bought up by Nissan Renault.

I doubt the Ford family will allow that to happen. More likely the other way round, Ford absorbing Nissan and Renault.

Nissans having trouble. Nissan just announced it's moving some vehicle assembly out of the US back to Japan due to cost issues. They are also having a hard time moving their Titans. They aren't getting the bang out of the redesign they espected. They can't build higher payload versions using the redisigned platform.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nissan and Ford makes some sense. Ford builds an excellent truck and Nissan doesn't. Nissan has built some decent looking cars lately, and Ford, well, the Fusion isn't bad.

Cambrian

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be a good marriage. Let Nissan churn out the cars that could go up against the Toyota Prius and Camry. Keep the mustang, dump the rest of the car lines and let Ford focus on the truck and SUV stuff they do so well. Renault could keep bringing the micro cars out for European tastes, (here too if gas prices keep going up). Renault also has the Heavy Truck business covered in the US with their controlling interest in Mack and their own brand in Europe. I just think there's too much for the consumer to choose from. It wouldn't be bad to start pulling some of the options off the market. Tool up the plants, Nissan’s Renault’s and Ford’s to be able to build a little of each other’s products. Plus streamline the dealer networks to carry Ford / Nissan / Renault products, with clever badge engineering of course. And they just migth become a global force to be reckoned with.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Mack was still owned by Volvo Heavy Trucks (not part of Volvo cars). Did that change and they are now owned by Renault?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I interviewed at volvo truck back in '02 they still owned mack....

Cambrian

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right. I was going on the information gleaned from a Truck book published in '99, Renault must have dumped them since then.

http://www.macktrucks.com/defa ult.aspx?pageid=1

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the year, 2000........ (er, 2100)

there will be one giant car company.

/conan o'brien

no, really, what about ford+mazda? aren't they merging the european focus with the american design in a few more years? and won't it be based off the mazda 3 platform?

eh what do i know.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kerkorian won't purchase more GM stock; York resigns from board"

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061006/NEW S99/310060005

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically, the move caused GM stock to drop 6%, effectively wiping out the small gain Kerkorian had in his GM position.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.