Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What are the pros and cons of living in hamtramck « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know them for Detroit because ive lived there off and on my whole life, but I have no indepth knowledge of hamtown(other than drinking). Not exactly Detroit topic but an enclave so i think it counts.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you're more likely to become an alcoholic, for one con.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 911
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only thing you need to know about hamtramck it at Polonia, 2934 Yemans.

Steelworker

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

already there detroitnerd. lol working on keeping away dui's. I always move near bars I like or areas with bars in walking distance. WSU area , Ferndale, now interested in hamtramck.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it bad when your decision to relocate is partially based on bar proximity. Good thing you arent hooked on crack.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of narrow one way streets with limited parking. I suppose that would be a con.

Steelworker

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah thats what ive wondered about as well. Also how bad crime is there im sure it cant be as bad as midtown. Bar proximity is important, drinking and driving is not cool.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5056
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PRO:

HAMTRAMCK IS A MULTI CULUTURAL VILLAGE WITH A DIVERSED NEIGHBOHOODS AND BEAUTIFUL CLEAN ALLEYS AND FULL LINE OF MOSTLY WOODEN FRAME FAMILY FLATS.

CON:

MOST ETHNIC FOLKS DON'T WANT ANY MORE DIFFERENT ETHNIC FOLKS IN THEIR AREA FOR THEY CLAIM THAT THEIR PEERS DON'T GO FOR THEIR PEERS.

PRO:

IT WAS A FULL POLISH COMMUNITY

CON:

NOW ONLY A HANDFUL ARE LEFT.

PRO: THERE WERE TWO SMALL BLACK COMMUNITIES IN HAMTRAMCK.

CON: THEY ALL NOW DISPLACED INTO THE GHETTO-LIKE HOUSING PROJECTS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE I-75 FREEWAY.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a fair amount of property crime. You wouldn't want to leave bags in your car or a ladder in the yard. My favorite street is Klinger.

I live on the "green" side of Conant, which I prefer to all points west of Conant, though I'd make an exception about Klinger. I get bummed out by too much concrete, and I even have a driveway.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking on my street is no problem (and the one-way system reduces traffic & noise), and apparently I'm in a better section of town, N of Caniff, E of Campau, and crime does not seem to be a problem--lots of families, kids, well-kept homes.

Pros: no shortage of walkable bars and other businesses, affordable, close to downtown/I-75/I-94, and a very unique mix of immigrants and colorful characters, kind of like living in Queens, NY or something. I tell people it's like living in a Jim Jarmusch film.

Cons: an inordinate number of bad drivers and idiot teenagers.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hamtramck left:

Step one: Pull up to a stop light and be sure to nose forward into the intersection a bit, so cars attempting left turns against you have to give you a wide berth. Do not turn on your left turn signal.

Step two: Wait for the light to turn green.

Step three: Wait two seconds. It is now OK to turn on your left turn signal. Do not nose forward now, as that would allow people behind you to move around you to the right and continue through the intersection.

(Often seen at Holbrook and Jos. Campau.)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CONS:
Those narrow one-way streets with parking on both sides can be a real bitch in the winter. I dutifully shoveled out my spots and the old lady's next door, and would pound on the door of anyone who stole it. I know there are no "rights" to parking spots there, but if you are too lazy to shovel in front of your house, that's your problem, not mine. Some people mark their spots with a chair, that seems to not go over well though.

Had my garage broken into a few times, all they took was a radio, I'm sure if I had used a gas-mower it would have been gone though. Don't leave anything of value out, lot's of foot traffic in the alley and it will be gone in a second.

Car theft is suposedly bad, never had mine stolen, seems confined to certain types/models, per The Citizen crime log.

Just don't get a place by a liquor store and you won't have anymore trouble than that.

Some mouthy gangs of punks around every once in a while, littering, fighting. Not out of control or anything.

PROS:
Awesome food, eveywhere you go. Restaurants, bakeries, mom and pop grocery stores with loads of delicious homemade goodies, can't be beat in the whole metro area, in my eyes.

Bars. The night life is hoppin' that for sure.

Neighbors and people are incredibly freindly and very diverse. People from literally all over the globe. Most people around me were extremely freindly and always willing to help out. Tons of little old Polish grandmas still doing their thing. Lots of kids everywhere.

Location. Centrally located to the rest of the metro area. I went from working in Troy to working in Dearborn and my commute time barely changed. And you're just a skip and a jump from downtown.

Prices. Cheap! Housing, rent, food, it's all well priced there.

Very walkable too. You can walk to anyplace you need from anywhere in Hamtown, IMO.

Put in 6 years there, it was cool. Moved this year.

Solarflare

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it right on the bad drivers there, holy smokes!
I got rear-ended by a minivan that sped off trailing smoke, completely demolished front end. All I got was a truck bed full of minvan body parts.

Steelworker

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im looking at a place on Florian north of holbrook west of jos campau any opinions of that area(seems very quiet looks like decent parking)?? another place was , holmes north caniff west of jos campau? Walking arouund to bars at night is alright?? Ive done it when i lived in midtown but I never felt comfortable doing it.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget that Hamtramick has one of the last few active commercial strips in the metro on Jos Campau, one of the few areas that feels like a city is supposed to. Other than that I know nothing about Hamtramick.

Solarflare

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

north of holbrook west of jos campau

That's where I lived. Pretty nice.
You looking to buy or rent? The flat I lived in is still available, I believe, great price, great landlord.

quote:

Walking arouund to bars at night is alright?

Shouldn't be a problem, though anytime you are drunk and alone at night you're a possible target of opportunity. That goes for anywhere.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PROS: Too many perogies will make you very happy and fat.

Solarflare

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, almost forgot:

PRO: Paczki Day!

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Agree Mayor Sekou. The Sad part is Hamtramack's shopping isn't helping the area overall in terms of storefront shopping due to the difficulty of traffic and accessing it. A lot of people I know hate traveling down Conant and Joseph Campau. However, the people living there, they have everything they need walking distance from their homes. Don't keep your heads up too high though, with the crime and traffic in the commercial district of Hamtramack, don't expect the once stores like Federals and Korvettes to return there, as more appear to be leaving Hamtramack daily and transitioning over to independent stores. Basically, Hamtramack is like Detroit's once bustiling downtown and lower class neighborhoods (excuse me all if I offended anyone but when I say lower class, I mean the ghettos), all apologies to the ones offended by the word ghetto. However, yes they are all or were once indentical, same with the front portion of Grosse Pointe Park. So basically, if you want to live in a place that resembled Detroit between early 50s-early 70s, Hamtramack is the place, with the exception of the segregation.

Also, I meant once stores such as Federals and Korvettes because they were both in Hamtramack at one time, I'm comparing them to stores like Sears or Macy's

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker - come to Hamtown!

Since I moved in a month ago, I've thoroughly enjoyed living here. There are always people on the street, the density is amazing, and fast food is 2 minutes away! In all seriousness, its just a great town, with nice people and nice old homes.

If that doesn't do it for you, consider how devalued it is. My $100,000 house requires $250,000 in insurance for replacement. In other words, you can get a quarter million dollar home for less than $100k! That's awesome. If we can just gentrify this town a bit, we'll be rolling in the dough.

Also, for a kid raised in the suburbs, its far less scary than a neighborhood in Detroit. But you get the urban experience. There are three problems - littering, loitering, and lawlessness. The last one is just petty stuff - people committ traffic violations all day long in this city. Its amazing.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a pain in the ass tryin to find somewhere to park on those narrow streets before shopping. If there is one area that truly needs a parking garage nearby Hamtramick would be it. A garage would help in maintaining heavy volumes of shoppers so the strip stays healthy and who knows you may even see a national chain one day. It is fun shopping down there I like to imagine that the rest of city was "alive" like that but then I realize im not even in the city and even downtown is fairly dead. (sigh)

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived there. Parking is a bitch and if your car is on the street and there is anything closely resembling a massive snowstorm, you're screwed. You'll be shoveling that car out for hours. Make sure you have four-wheel drive.

Other cons: It's a depressed community financially. People generally aren't very friendly; lots of petty crime bullshit; horrible city services; wicked insurance rates.

Pros: great restaurants and bakeries, excellent drinking community, strong cultural presence (from all angles); super cheap rent (you get a lot of house or apartment for the money); close to downtown Detroit (I used to ride my bike to Comerica).

Enjoy

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3059
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pros: New Palace Bakery, Kopytko Sausage, Polonia Restaurant, Ghandi Restaurant, vibrant Joseph Campau with color, diversity, tons of little owner operated shops [like a snap shot of Detroit ca. 1940], tidy proud homes cheek to cheek, chair holding shoveled out spots in the winter [Steelworker you be better off messing with the guy's wife than trying to park in one of those spots], upper and lower flat with balconies cascading with petunias, Planet Ant, Moslem calls to prayer mingling with church bells and easy expressway access to anywhere in the D.

Problems? Sure, but this is one cool, colorful, walkable and shoppable community. No wonder artists, adventurous types in search of the urban experience flock there.

Steelworker

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florian street seem to have decent amount of parking I have driven through it to see how it is at different times before i decide to move there. Holmes (n.ofcaniff,E. ofjoscampau) seem hard to find. hummm what a lot of glowing reviews. for car insurance i think ill still play the (i live in oakland county game).

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silly me, I have a garage.

Also, why dont people park on side streets when going to stores on Campau?

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 929
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghandi Restaurant...love that $5.99 buffet.

Solarflare

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned bad city services...when I first moved there in 2000 there were a lot of problems, but city services noticibly improved in the time I was there, in my opinion.

Oh, and rock bands, TONS of bands live in Hamtramck.

Steelworker

Post Number: 753
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Similar to a past thread im debating between oak park and hamtramck. I remember a thread comparing the two culturally. Oh yeah i know tons oh bands in hamtown. Is car insurance in hamtramck same as detroit?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, why dont people park on side streets when going to stores on Campau?

Because this is Detroit, and that'd be HORRIBLY inconvenient. Better just go to the strip malls on Jefferson or in Hazel Park. LOL.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One big con to think about: litter (which has been mentioned) along with a general downturn in cleanliness and upkeep. Overall, today's Hamtramck is not the "tidy" or "well kept" enclave of yesteryear. Some pockets are downright filthy. It's really too bad, because many of us have memories of spotless sidewalks and streets and manicured lawns in that community.

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pros:

You can get a nice cut of beef or whole chicken from a butcher at 11pm on Christmas eve.

Locally-owned businesses.

Walkability with actual destinations.

Fiesty old folks who walk everywhere and cuss out mouthy teenagers.

General un-pretentious attitude.

Affordability, especially housing and food. (Low home values means lower taxes).

Firmly entrenched in the old-shcool.

Hamtramck Disneyland

Cons:

Auto theft problem (especially chrysler/dodge products by teenage kids.)

High insurance

Property crime

Suburbanites with huge McTrucks who constantly complain about lack of parking. (There are two municpal lots within two blocks of Jos. Campau/Caniff which I've never seen filled.)

Old people who abandoned Hamtramck and show up to whine about how it's not exactly the way they left it.
--

A side note: people talk a lot about how neat and tidy Hamtramck used to be but what they don't know is that an esteemed former mayor raided the city's pension fund to pave the alleys and keep the streets swept.

Steelworker

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there strict parking enforcement in hamtramck or can you pretty much park anywhere?

Revolutionary

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can pretty much park anywhere for as long as you like. As long as you're not blocking a driveway, in front of a meter, or in a fire lane you're good until your tags expire.

When I lived in Lansing you had to have your car off the street by 2am or you'd get a ticket. Hassle.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was like that in Kalamazoo as well, but I think only in the winter. Of course you couldn't park at all in certain neighborhoods, but through most of the city, it was no parking 2-6am in the winter, and you could only park on alternating sides of the street, based on what day it was. Very confusing.

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insurance is definitely high - I don't know if its as high as Detroit, but my premium would have doubled if I didn't drop collison coverage.

Revolutionary

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's as high as Detroit. I think if maintaining a nice, shiny car is a high priority, then Hamtramck probably isn't for you.

According to the latest FBI statistics Hamtramck is now #1 in the nation for automobile theft.

(Message edited by Revolutionary on October 12, 2006)

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No longer in receivership, which is always good.

Steelworker

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its almost for sure I will be moving to hamtramck and become an unofficial resident.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pros. You get to live near where Jimmie Hoffa was torched.

You get awaken at 5 am by the Imam Saudi al-ben Farouk.

Polish Inn on Yemans.

Totally blessed by The Pope. (How many places have a Pope statue?)

1940s Detroit look and feel.

Saving a parking space in winter is called "dibs." There's a word for the six kitchen chairs, saw horses, or stolen orange cones in "YOUR" spot. If somebody takes your space, run your garden hose out there and give it a car wash in 10 below weather. He'll quickly get the point.
Watch from your window as he tries to use his mini-blow torch on the keyhole and on the door frames.

jjaba, Urban Survivor on the Westside.

Cherry
Username: Cherry

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You won't be able to vote in our crazy elections. The Szklarski-Thompson insurance agency on Conant is a good place to look for car insurance. (Hamtramck residents can buy steering wheel locks from the PD at City Hall for $10-15.)

Best things: People from different continents discussing groceries in French.
26 languages, over 100 dialects.
Locally made chevapi, pierogi, samosas, bread.
Corner Stores.
Corner bars.
Variety of traditional dress worn.
Paczki Day, Blow-out, Labor Day Festival and Parade, Strawberry Festival, and the Bangladesh-American Festival.
Police and Fire department response times.

Worst things: Your wife, girlfriend, family and/or friends won't feel safe here. (lots of street harassment)
26 languages, over 100 dialects.
Police and Fire departments are very busy.
Hangovers.

Solarflare

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker,
If you still need a place there, let me know, I'll hook you up with my old landlord. On Yemans, west side of Joseph Campeau.
Upstairs flat.

Steelworker

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may but as of right now i gave 200 dollars to hold a place on florian street. Yeah it would be nice to claim residency in hamtown or detroit(when i lived there)But then its not affordable anymore to live there. I already have a Brake lock for my car from the days of living in detroit and having two car stolen without it.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the inside scoop at www.hamtramckstar.com

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4411
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherry, welcome to The Forum. You tells it like it tis. Excellent list, all's you really need to know about Hamtramck in post #2.

I presume your 26 languages includes ein bissella Yiddish.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Steelworker

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is comcast the only game in town???

Cherry

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker: yes for cable tv and cable internet. Most people have satellite dishes for TV and SBC or AOL dial-up accounts. There is a WISP on the north side that I have heard good things about (Deshi Connect: www.d-conn.com)

Steelworker

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonder if landlord will allow satelite. Thanks your very helpfull Cherry. Ill have to remember you for more advice once i move there.

Cherry

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Thanks for the warm welcome. 26 is the number most often repeated, but I believe it is based on a survey of school children. I doubt their grandparents were included. (Surely, some of my neighbors speak Yiddish.)

I should probably confess now that Revolutionary + Cherry = Hamtramck Star. We bought a house here two years ago on advice given to us by DetroitYES forumers. No regrets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.