Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Thanksgiving parade will start earlier, take new route « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The name’s the same, but the route is changing for the 80th America’s Thanksgiving Parade on Nov. 23.

The parade will begin at 9:20 a.m. -- an hour earlier -- at Mack Avenue and Woodward in downtown Detroit and end at Congress and Woodward. Last year’s start was at the Detroit Public Library on Kirby, and its end was at Grand Circus Park.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061005/NEW S99/61005006

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sucks for people who lived near WSU now they have to walk to mack lol. those damn few blocks.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that was nice of them to move the route just for me. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2885
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it that it will now mean Devin and Carlan will be sitting in Campus Martius instead of in front of the DIA...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the dia and dpl provided a great back drop for the parade especially on TV, that's a shame for midtown....but I guess in the end, downtown is really the most appropriate venue for it

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are going back to the traditional parade route of my youth. I can see Santa stopping in front of Compuware to get the Key from Kwamwe and Karmonos.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gasp! You mean KK and Illitch wouldn't do the honors?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought they couldn't go that far because of the people mover...i think the floats could probably make it, but i worry about the balloons. do we really want to open the door for another chilly willy incident?!

Ndavies

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They went under the people mover just fine when it used to end at Hudsons before Hudsons closed. They made it under the people mover just fine when it used to end at CAYMC after Hudsons closed. This is not really new. This is just a return to a more traditional parade route.

The parade actually went down to Campus Martius park last year just to test the route.

Gistok

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies.... what time to you want us forumer to show up at your place Thanksgiving morning... say 9ish?? :-) (We'll keep Karl and ORF apart, and keep an eye on MDG and ILD) :-)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, my loft won't be done in time for this year's parade. :-( So show up anytime you'd like. I won't be there to let you in.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for watching from my Woodward office :-(

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Macy's parade in New York? Are we going to have two Macy's parades, one here and one there?

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I thought Target sponsored the fireworks and parade?

2. I thought Marshall Fields (Macy's) and Target wasn't owned by the same company anymore?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4538
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad they are moving back downtown with this. That's how I remember it, and I thought it was a great backdrop for the parade.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theparade.org/parad e/index.shtml

Your right to a certain extent rock.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on October 05, 2006)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so excited for it to be back downtown. I always hated seeing the blight between midtown and downtown as our backdrop. The DIA and Library had their moment, now its back to the limelight for our art deco icons!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad for the folks at the Ellington. Probably one of the intial selling points of the complex was that as an owner of a unit you could catch the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Looking at the staging area is not the same as watching the parade smoothly stream by. Starting just south of Warren, or even at Canfield, could have been a better choice.

Personally, I never cared for the parade passing in front of the DIA/Library. Buildings are set too far back from the street. However, extending the parade south of Grand Circus Park like in years past is what I have been waiting for for years. One year I left home at 9:40 a.m. and got down to Grand Circus Park to get a great spot to see the parade. This was when it still extended to Jefferson.

For my money, lower Woodward is still the best place to see the parade. The concentration of tall buildings cuts down on the wind when the weather is cold. A nice thing to have when you're sitting or standing outside for four hours.

Gistok

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953... they'll still be going thru the worst part of midtown... between Mack and the Fisher Fwy.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce--much as I would love to see the parade start at Canfield, I suspect that you'd have to stage it somewhere further north in order not to (a) impact access to the medical center, or (b) jam the neighborhoods on the west side of Woodward.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.