Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Trader joe's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jaydough666
Username: Jaydough666

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know if the rumors are true of a metro detroit (grosse pointe) trader joe's?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you implying it would be the first? If so, it's not - there are already locations in Northville, Farmington Hills, Royal Oak and Rochester Hills.

Their website doesn't seem to suggest they're opening one in Grosse Pointe.

(Message edited by wazootyman on October 06, 2006)

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be a great opportunity to write some letters to enccourage them to locate in the city.

Jaydough666

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, i know there are four already, but i heard rumors of a village tjs

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baa to TJ's

Im a whole foods man

Bring one to the Hood!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, TJ's is moving into part of the old Jacobson's store in GP.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure about that?? I heard nothing was signed yet.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see a one of a kind organic/natural foodstore pop up downtown...

Like Fox & Obel in Chicago.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spidergirl, there is a very small store next to Avalon that has organic and natural foods.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw that health food crap! Gimme a Hot Fudge Cream Puff and a bag of Better Made's HOT!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.gmach.citymax.com/f /Kerc_Pl_firstfl.pdf

You may be right. Coldwater Creek is currently open. Jos A. Banks should be open by Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if they have started on the build out for Trader Joe's so you may be right. It may not be a done deal yet.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 872
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, people down here in the hood should be lined up to pay 8.99 a pound for the same chicken you can buy for 2.99 at Kroger.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gimme a Hot Fudge Cream Puff

:D

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I had read somewhere (gp news maybe) that Trader Joes backed out because they couldnt get Kercheval frontage.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anything ever become of this place? This was a proposed market for the Woodward block area.

http://www.vitoandsmittys.com/

By the way, although I do love Fox & Obel in Chi-town, it is excessively priced for what you get, in my opinion. But, they do have a few rare finds and their fresh meat selection is solid, if you're willing to pay the premium.

Bussey

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its good im a vegetarian so i don't have to buy the overpriced chicken!

Yeah for cheap chicken

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJs actually has AWESOME prices on many things, and it's all rally good stuff. Some folks can't get past the "health food" idea, don;t understand that.
Don't like it? Don't go there.
Great prices on good beer too. :-)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJs here in Northville is a sweet deal. Not everything is inexpensive, but many items are just shake your head cheap in comparison to other grocery stores. TJs will be one of the things I miss from suburbia as I move downtown next month.

I guess I will have to make an occasional run up to the Haggerty corridor (TJs/Costco/Meijer/Target/Best Buy/Staples) on my commute home from A2. It seems options for most of these stores remains quite limited in the City. Oh well. Maybe some day.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually work for Trader Joe's and I can tell you that we are looking at GP carefully, but no deal has been signed yet. The issue is that we don't carry any debt as a company whatsoever, so any expansion we make is done with cash on hand. Also, the new store would have to be fit into the supply routes somehow, since our delivery trucks hit 2-3 stores on a given route.

By the way, solarflare is right- walking down the aisles at TJ's you'll see that we have multiple signs all over the place showing you competitor's prices and our own. We do monthly comparison shopping where a random shopping list is drawn up and purchased at two or three other area stores e.g. Kroger, Meijer, etc. In my time with the company (which has been considerable), I have only seen maybe five or six items that we sold at a higher price than the others. I mean, we sell eggs at 99 cents a carton every day. Tofu for the same. We have a lot of organic stuff, but by no means are we a health store.

If you're on the west side, go to the Northville store at 8 and Haggerty. It's huge and it's not as busy as the smaller RO and Farmington stores. I think you'll like what you see.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7999
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, people down here in the hood should be lined up to pay 8.99 a pound for the same chicken you can buy for 2.99 at Kroger.

Or you could go to Honey bee and pay $1.29 for the same chicken.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugbyman-
If you have any juice with the decision makers, please lobby hard for the GP store to happen. I can assure you it would be a huge hit and well patronized by all eastsiders from GP, Detroit, SCS, etc.

We'd love to have you come to our 'hood.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joe's is incredible, IMO. High quality, pleasant atmosphere, good prices, and excellent products without all those additives and preservatives found in the mainstream supermarkets' food items.

What more could you ask for?

Rugbyman

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you that the decisions come down from corporate, not the local market per se. But when they identify a potential target market and go as far as to start scouting locations, they're motivated to get into the game. From there it just becomes a question of whether or not the stars align and they can find a good deal for the company.

In the meantime, hit up either Rochester or Royal Oak. Both great stores with great crews.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugbyman,

Is there someone particular I should send a letter? Do you think it will help?

Rugbyman

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it really would. Like I said, when the company identifies a place they want to be, they move mountains and try everything to make it happen. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I heard yesterday that the first target was GP Park and they told the company to take a hike, so GP proper became Plan B. I think you can pretty well infer from that anecdote that the company's pretty interested in opening an East Side location.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4389
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussy loves the Whole Paycheck when the rest of us are struggling. Priceless.
Bussy goes vegetarian on us when his backyard is filled with an aroma of babyback ribs. Priceless.

Bussy now shopping Whole Paychecks for his Tofu, which Trader Joe's kicks ass on price.

Try the Trader Joe's frozen French Onion Soup, the German glass cherries, and the chocolate covered cherries in the plastic tub.

Bussy, which is worse? Eating tofu or driving an import?

jjaba, LOL. YIKES.

Bussey

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could at least spell my name right.

Way to be a 12 year old.

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter works for Trader Joe's. She informed me several weeks ago, that a store was going into Grosse Point.

Jaydough666

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fantastic news!
Grosse Pointe really needs a store that isn't geared towards 99 year-old rich women

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last thing published in the local GP news quoted a city official as saying that nothing has been signed with TJ's or anyone else.

That was a few weeks ago and things may have changed??

Swpablo
Username: Swpablo

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whole Foods 365 brand organic tofu - $1.50 each. Most items trader joes has, whole foods competes with. A smart shopper will be able to find just as good deals at whole foods. As long as you dont fall for the fancy items that they strategically place around the store. trader joes doesn't have near the fancy gourmet foods whole foods has if your looking for that. And good luck getting fresh produce, meat, seafood, good beer,wine and cheese selection at tj's not to mention customer service. Whole Foods is succesfully getting rid of the "whole paycheck" image.

Bussey

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP

this means you Jaba

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does someone mention tofu every other post? What are the prices/selection of FOOD? LOL.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joes has decent pricing on most of their products but certainly not good value on some. As mentioned, their fruit and veggie selection has got to be one of the poorest around. After several attempts to buy nice fruit and vegetables at the Trader, I gave up and went back to Wholefoods. It seems that newly introduced food products are beautifully priced and then one day you realize "geee...that's about a buck more than it was last week". Got to love those loss leaders. Trader Joe goes through a lot of products, it seems. Weak sellers are yanked and never seen again. Variety and selection varies from store to store and most dramatically from state to state. All That being said, The Trader has become my primary food source along with the Wholefoods for fruits and veggies.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trader joes combined with a trip to eastern market is a force to be reckoned with.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ferndale food patch is by far the best in town

Bussey

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one on here has said anything yet about Randazzo's on Outer Drive

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, jjaba apologizes. He was a little harsh.
Never want to defame a name. Sorry.

jjaba.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the Ferndale Food Patch and then down the street to Western Market for the fresh stuff.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the TJ's on Woodward and asked someone who seemed to be in a position of authority and they said that they had heard the rumor too and that nothing has been announced by the company yet. That sounds good to me. Definitely not a no!

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget the food stores in GP. We need another bank branch!

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"I heard yesterday that the first target was GP Park and they told the company to take a hike, so GP proper became Plan B. I think you can pretty well infer from that anecdote that the company's pretty interested in opening an East Side location."

Any idea why GPP would tell them to bugoff? I think TJ started out on the left coast, I've seen them for about 15 years. It's not the most upscale place, but it's not some guy selling out of his van either. I imagine the local merchants don't want the competion, they've had a nice little deal.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard that the dirty, little Kroger store in the village is doing everything they can to kill the TJ store proposed in the old Jakes building. What a shame, I think TJs would bring many folks back to the Village---good for other merchants.
Kroger is set to build a new store where the parking lot for Starbucks, Gymboree, Moosejaw etc sits.
Stupid Kroger. If TJs doesn't come in, I will never set foot in that Kroger again.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the dirty, little Kroger store in the village

Man, that place has been bad for YEARS now!

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the hell everyone here is talking about......Trader Joe's (on Woodward) has to be the WORST grocery store I have ever encountered. It's like an off-brand "valu-market" for "organic" food enthusiasts. The produce selection is one of the worst I have ever seen. The meat selection is even poorer. They are selling off-brand "organic" labeled foods (questionable whether or not they really are "organic", or what that term really means), at a premium price. Pray for a Holiday market, Westborn, or preferably a Papa Joes. Screw the overpriced "natural" foods.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.