Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Tom's Tavern Totaled « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The famous Detroit watering hole, Tom's Tavern on Seven Mile, occasional topic of discusson on this forum, gets trashed.

quote:

A pedestrian is dead after being struck by an out-of-control van in northwest Detroit. The driver, an 86-year-old man, hit two cars before pushing the 64-year-old woman into a pole and crashing into two buildings. It is unknown if the driver had a medical condition that caused him to loose control.

He ended up parked in Tom's Tavern.

Video report

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing will be done about this tragedy because seniors have too big a voice for any politician to do anything about restricting senior drivers. Remember the idiot that killed all those people at the Santa Moica Farmers Market a few years ago. He never even went to court on the date of his trial because of poor health. People were killed by him and no justice was ever exacted. Sad, very sad but true!

Livedog2

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Santa Monica that day. it was terrible.
I didn't know that he never had to go to court for killing those people. Some thing has to change regarding seniors and there "right" to drive.
Something should be done for Toms also.
Where else can we celebrate Babe Ruths birthday?

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody should celebrate Babe Ruth's B-Day.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm suprised that building is still standing after all these years.... It looks like a good wind could knock it out the game anyway.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He never even went to court on the date of his trial because of poor health. People were killed by him and no justice was ever exacted. Sad, very sad but true!"

Um, false--a great example of how misinformation spreads on the Internet. While Weller is excused from most of the trial proceedings, he did appear for the prosecution's opening statement, and will have to return for the verdict.

http://www.courttv.com/news/20 06/0912/weller_ap.html

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before my elderly dad died he had diabetes that would cause very strange reactions. One night, driving home from a party where he had not been drinking, he got confused and ended up being stopped by the police after driving the wrong way down a one-way street for several blocks.

We were all horrified, of course, but were glad no one was hurt, and hoped that this would at least be a way to take the keys without having to play the bad guy, but no - the State of Iowa let him off without charges AND renewed his license!

Nature took its course, and he died not long after, but I really think that when you hit 70 you should have to take a driving test every couple of years in order to keep your license.

(Message edited by dalangdon on October 07, 2006)

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is that false? You verified the facts with your statement!

Livedog2

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh. Livedog2, when you wrote, "no justice was ever exacted," you implied that the trial was cancelled. It was not. So, your statement was false.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7005
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my God that's terrib...

Wait. Where?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When a person first recives a liscence, they are on probation for a few years. Why can't we put folks who are over, say 68 on probation, and have them take a test every year?

Oh, wait, Livedog2 is right. Senior's are a protected voting block among politicians.

That said, nothing will change until some politician grows a par of onions and takes on the cause. Don't get me wrong, I fell we should take care of our elderly, but not at the expense of our young. A test every year is not too much to ask for.

Detroitej72... Hopes to live to see 68 and up to take said test!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.