Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Thanks to Greening of Detroit & St. Charles volunteers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3847
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stepped out my door this morning to witness a few groups with picks and shovels planting trees on my street.

I found out that the group of volunteers were planting 33 trees in our West Village neighborhood.

As we are losing so many Ash trees in the area (at least 8 on my street), I appreciate the hard work they invested in the area.

From what I was told several vacant lots will be used as tree nurseries, vegetable gardens for the Capuchin kitchen, and flower gardens to supply area churches and hospitalized or deceased neighbors planned for next year.

While not high on the list for many, it's great to see people making the small differences improving this City.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Detroitej72

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I planted a crab apple on Agnes near Shipherd. :-)

I've heard that Greening of Detroit plans another round next year.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work for the Greening good to see therye still active out there. They typically do plantings in the spring and fall and then in the summer youll see the green corps, the high chool kids hired to water and maintain the trees, parks, etc, come by and water the trees. Given time I think theyll plant a tree in front of every house in every street in ths city.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 744
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Green Corps kids we're really cool. They were really into the trees and knew all about how to take care of them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.