Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Would Detroit autoworkers be happier if ..... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our factories and manufacturing plants look like these ?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer othread?id=1837641

http://www.glaesernemanufaktur .de/gmd.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=7161

(Message edited by darwinism on October 08, 2006)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow nothing like ive seen before. wish i could take photos of my facotry and show how it looks as if its still early industrial revolution

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit autoworkers would be happier if their work wasn't constantly being degraded and insulted.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey if you can cost effectively build a high volume assembly plant that looks like that go for it.

But in this particular example what's going to be built in place of the hand assembled MSRP: $66,700-101,300 Phaeton after it's dropped? Or will there just be more German autoworkers out of work?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This plant only performs the final assembly of the VW Phaeton. The body is welded and painted at a plant 60 miles away and shipped to this final assembly plant, which only builds 20 vehicles per shift, which translates to a final line rate of 2.5 jobs per hour.

If I were a VW stockholder, I would want to know why VW management spent $208 million USD on a plant that can do only final assembly and at a potential maximum rate of 6 jobs per hour. For comparison, GM spent 2.5 times that amount to build the Lansing Grand River Plant, which welds, paints and final-assembles Cadillacs at a final line rate that is 6.3 times faster. The Lansing plant is just as clean, bright and ergonomically friendly for its 1,800 employees as the VW Dresden plant, it just doesn't have the expensive glass walls and Canadian Maple floors.

The VW Phaeton plant is unlikely to ever produce at its maximum rate of 6 jobs per hour since VW just announced they were discontinuing sales of the Phaeton in the USA due to insufficient sales and constant service issues. I doubt that the VW workers in Dresden are very happy about that, despite their esthetically-pleasing working environment.

(Message edited by Mikeg on October 08, 2006)

(Message edited by Mikeg on October 08, 2006)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Autoplants should all look like this:

http://mmm.lib.msu.edu/search/ imagedisplay.cfm?i=EB01a013

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, where did you find all that info? Taking a swag,(scientific,wild,ass,gues s), I don't think you live and work in Dresden.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.caranddriver.com/fe atures/7207/virtual-tour-of-vw s-transparent-factory.html

Mikeg

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danke, Lilpup.

Fortress_warren, Ich lebe in einem dorf nahe Detroit - nicht Dresden! Ich bin ein pensionierter Ingenieur von GM.

Tschuss!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't "Dorf" supposed to be capitalized? A- grade

Mikeg

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ja Livernoisyard, Ich bin der dorfidiot Dorfidiot !

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad I don't have a firm grasp on technical German. It might open up another revenue source for my technical writing/editing business...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And GM just built another assembly plant in Delta Township (just outside Lansing) that has won awards for being environmentally friendly. It will produce the Saturn Outlook/GMC Arcadia, and enploy the same flexible manufacturing techniques that allow it to meet demand of vehicles faster.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are pictures of all the transplants in the US. Boy, there are a lot.

http://www.aiada.org/images/ne ws_photos/AtHomeinAmericaposte rRGBJPG.jpg.

BTW, you can stare into the face of our enemy, American International Auto Dealers Association. Enjoy...

http://www.aiada.org/

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg is right on about Lansing Grand River plant. I spent some time there as a supplier when they were launching the CTS. I could hardly believe it was an auto assembly plant. It was reflected in the workers attitudes. They all seemed to love working there. I haven't been back there since they've added two more vehicles to the mix, but I assume it is still runnning well and looking great.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.