Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » 1968 Tigers (in 1978) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers recent success has me fired up for baseball again. These are some slides that I took at the old ballpark on August 23, 1978, when the Tigers celebrated the 10th Anniversary of their 1968 World Championship.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more.

Willie Horton

Al Kaline

Jim Northrup

LeFlore at bat

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And still more.

LeFlore doubles

The famous grounds crew

A young Alan Trammell

Alas, the Tigers lost 5-4 to the Blue Jays.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 930
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That ain't the Jays, it's the Brewers...and a young Robin Yount.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right eastside, that is the Brewers (it must have been August 27 '78 and a 9-5 loss). However, that is Alan Trammell (old english D and home whites).

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 933
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know....Yount in the "LeFlore doubles" pic.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yo, I was at that game, still have the miniature plaque with the autographs of the `68 heroes.One of my prized possesions!
Greetings to all DY`ers, this is my first post!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3133
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures Jiminnm! Thanks for sharing.

I'm guessing that is the GM Jim Campbell on the other ends of the grip-and-grin handshakes.

And, wow, I forgot how ugly those leisure suits were, even a well cut one like the lean Willie Horton's.

Michmeister, welcome to the forum.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and to think of just how many polyesters had to die for one pair of double-knit slacks......

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3898
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some amazing fashions back then! I'm willing to bet you ol' Willie Horton (one of the classiest Tigers I've ever met) would even cringe at himself looking at that photo! That suit and that afro... Woooo!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.