Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Mark Fidrych and the 1980 Tigers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are some slides that I took On August 28, 1980, one of the last games pitched by Mark Fidrych.

The Bird himself.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more.

Steve Kemp in left

The entertaining grounds crew

Peters hopes to score from 3rd, and does

Whitaker and Trammell, it didn't get any better

The Tigers did win 11-7 over the Brewers.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 931
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics. Now that's a ballpark!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great pics, brings back memories. Poor Mark, they found out later he had a torn rotator cuff.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw him over a week ago at an appearance he was doing at Meijer. I believe he made it to around 4 or 5 of their stores.

I caught a foul ball at Comerica this past spring and it now has Mark Fidrych "The Bird" written on it.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Chicago the 2nd weekend in August to see the Tigers-White Sox series. Before I left town, I drove by Wrigley too, and in the neighborhood I stubled upon a shop named "Strange Cargo" with racks and racks of overstock t-shirts and four walls full of iron-on transfers.

To my overwhelmingly pleasurable surprise, I found they had a transfer of "The Bird's the Word" with the Big Bird-like caricature. I think it was originally in the Freep, backintheday.

Of course I wore the shirt to all the subsequent games I went to this summer. On the last day of the regular season, the fellow at the ticket office said Fidrych was in the stadium that day, so I held a glimmer of hope I might get it signed, but no...

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Strange Cargo is from Detroit.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn`t that the iron-on with big bird throwing right-handed but with the right-footed leg-kick that they corrected the next day?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Precisely, Michmeister!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.