Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Football In Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad Michigan football Facts-

Unless you are 50 years old or older in Detroit, you have never seen a NFL champion Lions. (1957)

You have to be 40 years old or older to have seen a NCAA football champion Michgan State. (1966)

You have to be at least 23 years old to have seen the USFL Champions Michigan Panthers (1983)

You have to be at least 9 years to have seen the a NCAA football co- champion Michigan (1997) BUT

You have to be at least 58 to have seen an outright NCAA I-A football champion Michigan (1948)

There has never been a Division I-AA Champion from Michigan

Outside of Grand Valley State's 3 championships in 2002, 2003, 2005, The last NCAA Division II champion from Michigan was Northern Michigan in 1975

There has never been a NCAA Division III champion from Michigan.

The Detroit Drive has been the most successful Professional Football team in recent Michigan History, winning 4 championships in 7 years, the last being in 1993.

The team was sold to an owner in Massachucettes and was renanmed the Maurauders, and now has been purchased by the DeVos family and are now the Grand Rapids Rampage.

The Grand Rapids Rampage won the Arena Bowl in 2001.

Lghart
Username: Lghart

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albion College was the D-III champ in 1994.

I guess U of M being the all time wins leader and percentage leader doesn't count for much in your eyes. A lot of states would love to have colleges with the tradition of the colleges and universities in this state. Can't speak for the Lions, as we all know the hex that the Ford family seems to have put on them.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the Albion oversight.

Dont get me wrong, Michigan's record is amazing and wonderful and counts.

I was just being narrowly focused on actual football championships

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state of Michigan does not have a 1-AA team (pretty hard to win one when you can't).

The GLIAC is probably the best confrence in D2.

Man, I don't think that I would like football if I were a State AND Lions fan (if either win, I'll be happy for their fans).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.