Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » Second Debate- Tues Oct 10 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 539
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 pm on Channel 4.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right during the Tigers game, they will be lucky to get anyone to watch it. This will probably hurt DeVos more than Granholm.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening on my sat radio from Chi... entertaining stuff.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who Won?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 803
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, how big an ass of himself did Devos make tonight?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically Granholm sounded like a broken record slinging the same mud as before. Devos was nervous again but did produce some factual information this time around.

But once again we all lost as neither canidate looks to worth anything.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeVos did not really answer any questions. He basically refused to answer a question about if he would sign abortion banning legislation. He basically said if you want health insurance, go get a job. He dodged answering Granholm's question about Amway hiring temp workers so they don't have to pay health care. He reminded me of W, stuttering and going around in circles without actually answering questions. Which I'm sure he was told to do but his advisors. His mantra is "do not go into any details because people might find out what I really think." Granholm did a little better with at least having some plans, while DeVos just kept saying go to his website and look at his plan that has no details. Granholm needs to get off the sent jobs to China bit because that is happening all over the nation. DeVos did what he had to do to get business for a company with a bad reputation and falling sales. But DeVos cannot defend his large donations to the GOP and W.

_sj_

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all reality he does not have to, that is his political party and the one he supports. Granholm needs to focus on Michigan and not trying to blame everyone but herself. Petty fights and mud slinging is for children.

Her entire campaign is mud slinging including all the W references and it is getting tiresome.

Once again we are all losers.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_ I'm really trying not to be partisan here...I really do like Jennifer and will vote for her in a heart beat.

Having said that...I want you to know that I'm being honest in saying that Devos is REALLY TERRIBLE in the debate. There wasn't one question or subject that he "won" or even looked good responding to.

At one point he, while slinging mud, said that Granholm "is providing half measures. I will provide, and what we need are, full measures." Pause pause pause...next question. SO WHAT ARE THE FULL MEASURES DOOFUS? I mean come on.

I repeat, FULL measures? Christ!!! WTF?

I'm not the best public speaker and never was good at formal debating (I can throw down in a crowd though) but come on, he's running for GOVERNOR!!!

He really is sounding and looking like another Bush.

I didn't know this, but did you know Betsy Devos was thinking of running initially? It was a toss up and they decided to run Dick. I'm wondering if they are second guessing themselves now.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Betsy might make a more capable representative for West Michigan, but she's too conservative to win a statewide race.

Quinn

Post Number: 979
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are both too conservative...agreed. I'd bet she's a better speaker though...which would help her in these debates/speeches/etc.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I want you to know that I'm being honest..." -Quinn

Just like you and your pal ("Ilovedetroit") were "being honest" about your race, city of residence, sexual orientation, gender, occupation, income level, political affiliations, event attendance, etc. etc.

_sj_

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, I actually do not like either. I do not see any qualities in either of them. But having to pick one my vote goes to Granholm. Which is why I wish she would stop the mud slinging and the W references. It is cheapening her campaign, I still think this race will come down to the undecided(Devos in the west and Granholm in the East of the State, making it a close race.) and the more she offends and turns off with the mud will swing the other way and elect DeVos.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzga zette/index.ssf?/base/columns- 2/1160581802212560.xml&coll=7

Quinn

Post Number: 982
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_ thinking about this I have to say...slinging mud now is not half as bad as being led by (come on...lets say it...it's the truth) an incompetent, spoiled rich kid who really wants to be president because he saw another incompetent, spoiled rich kid do it.

Think about it...you know it's true. Just take a look at the white house...come on...come on...

_sj_

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but if mud slinging helps get that rich kid elected then what?

quote:

If everything some people know about the candidates comes from TV, those people should not vote.

To many life starts and ends with TV.

(Message edited by _sj_ on October 12, 2006)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting to me that someone of Devos' stature has no argumentation skills whatsoever. His manner comes across as stiff and unresponsive. He never answers the question asked, but tries to relate whatever is asked to an answer he has rehearsed. He cannot speak "off the cuff." He makes no connection with the viewer, often looking off-camera while giving his opinion. He creates a disconnect between him and the voter. Granholm, on the other hand, is a polished speaker and when answering a given question, actually manages to combine three or more points pertinent to the subject. Bottom line; Devos is TERRIBLE! He has been trounced during the first two debates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.