Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Frank Turner gone at Ch. 7 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No real surprise here: Frank Turner decided not to renew his TV contract and instead take the radio evangelist job.

Blessed hankies and anointing oil a la Turner, here they come!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061009/UPDAT E/610090413

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think it was Turner who made that decision

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cell

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Riddance! Aside from his incessant preaching, his off-the-cuff comments often seemed insensitive towards his co-workers.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seemed like he forced their hand over at Channel 7. They already gave him another chance with the phone-sex scandal, then he pulls an ultimatium when they try not to get him to preach all the time on the air. So.... NA-NA-NA-NA HEY HEY... GOODBYE.

And take the Lions with you.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And take the Lions with you

LOL!~

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it comes to being a self important, pompous ass Frank is irreplaceable.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank who? I could really care less if Frank Turner wants to change jobs. When he tried to force his employer (and technically rescuer from his earlier misfortunes) to let him do double duty, I thought that was a tough pill for WXYZ to swallow. He owes WXYZ TV a littel debt of gratitude for pulling him off of the woodpile. I doubt if too many other employers would have been so kind to hire him back AND at the rate that he was surely getting. So if Frank wants to dart off and play small time preacher on the radio, let him.

If he really feels the calling to go do God's work on the radio, I sure hope his ego and his wallet will endure the "hardship" of not having a six figure salary.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a nice little piece on Frank Turner in last quarter's Columbia Journalism Review.

Needless to say, they didn't like his antics much.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they will bring back Bill Bonds!

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Frank saved his money-
Jesus is going to miss 10% of that big WXYZ check-
That's all Folks!

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never liked him.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Craggy. I enjoyed reading that little article. Thank God, he'll soon be gone.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just didnt care for him either, was turning into another religious wacko who decided he was going to turn us all into believers.. Channel 7 called him on it ,,, Thank God this is not Georgia, he would have got his way

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've heard, Frank isn't going to be hurting at his new job. I don't know for certain that it's 6 figures, but old Frank ain't gonna be eating hot dogs and ramen noodles.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shame on all of you! He was my favorite when I was a kid and I was happy to have him back! Long live Frank Turner!

Smogboy

Post Number: 3836
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, I didn't have any beef with how he reported the news at all. To me, he delivered the news and that was fine, but then they shouldn't BE the news either. His off-air behavior is what soured me... everything from the phone sex scandal and the demands of WXYZ to let him do the radio show just made me question his integrity. As a news person/ journalist- isn't that the criteria in which they should hold in the highest of esteem?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy--Frank came on the heels of Bill Bonds, who had no problem making news as well as reporting it, and always let you know how he felt about events. Now WXYZ will have pure talking heads, brought in from out of town, to give you the delivery you desire.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Bill Bonds is a station anchorman I'd want delivering my news?? Is he the journalistic high bar we in Detroit want to strive for? Could we really tell if Bill was even sober half the time he was delivering the news? Are Bill & Frank the sensational newscasters we want in this town? Or do we tune into them just to see what oddball antic they'll pull on air?

I have no problems with anchors having commentaries (frankly I wish the stations would be able to give each anchor more of a segment to have an opinion again), but again when do we really want to turn on the nightly news and be preached to? Whether it's religious preaching or political preaching, I'd much rather have the person tell me the facts and let me form my own opinions.

Regardless of where the news people are from, I still expect some modicum of professionalism. And who's to say we still couldn't have a local talent (or someone who's established ties within the community such as Diana Lewis who is not from here) be be that person in the big chair? Peter Jennings was a Canadian sitting in the anchor chair delivering American news and I doubt if anyone questioned his sincerity or integrity. So 56Packman, I understand your desire to have an anchor who cares about the area and has some roots here but I sincerely don't think that being born & raised here is firm criteria for them to be the anchorman for one of our local stations.

We look to these people to be trustworthy and sincere. When their off-air escapades end up with them being in jail for something, one questions that integrity.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Frank Turner, he did a good job reporting the news. It would be great to give Bill Bonds a chance to report again. I bet he would take a short term contract to see if it works out.

Get-r-done WXYZ!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, Amyre Makeupson was the most trustworthy news anchor in Detroit. She reported the news rather than dramatizing it. If it matters, she was brought up in Detroit. Her family lived in, what is to me, the finest house on Boston Blvd., west of the Lodge.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amyre Makeupson was great! I liked her too! She was WKBD wasn't she? What about Rich Fischer?

(Message edited by commodore64 on October 10, 2006)

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lions are the my high schools mascot.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Frank a lot when he first came back on the air. He has a great self-depricating sense of humor that made watching the news more enjoyable.

Over time, though, his preaching seemed to become more and more extreme and seemed to be passing to the rest of the newsroom. Everyting seemed to be overwhelming preaching including overly-stretch-faced Florine Marks with her Weight Watchers bible.

And PUHLEEEZZZEEE on Bill Bonds! Even Gardner White doesn't want him any more. The only shill job he can get now is Gibralter Trade Center - Wonder if he appears at the Gun and Knife Shows or at the Flea Markets.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wxyz would be wise to hire Emery King to replace Frank- I also wish they'd hire Jim Madus to replace the chief. I think Jim does a better job than all three of their current weather forecasters.

Smogboy

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emery King would be an ideal replacement. Talk about a guy with some credentials and some moxie. It's odd seeing him doing the DMC ads and I would love it if WXYZ made him an offer.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for Emery King also. A class act and a solid, bona fide journalist.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt Jim Madus from WKBD too?

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Hodak is retiring?

Also, Jim Madus, I dont him on WKBD, but Jerry Hodak was.

Also, Jim Madus is sometimes doing the weather forecast on I belive either WJR or WWJ radio stations.

Also, I dont believe Emery King will take up the offer, as WDIV as already allowed him to run his documentaries on their starting this fall.

Also, their forecasts arent original, so it doest matter who they give the position to

Also, Jim Madus isn't a regular forecaster, it would be either Shay or Dave that takes the spot, and I'm going with Dave.

Also, I think although Jim Madus isn't a regular there, he does have the best forecasts.

Also, I believe he has many other meteorology jobs besides the ones at Channel 7

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.