Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What's up with the cruise ship? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around 12:30 this afternoon, there was a cruise ship traveling down the Detroit River in front of the Ren Cen. It pulled a U-ie and went back the way it came. I couldn't tell from the symbol what liner it was (guessing Royal Carribean), but are they trying to tell us something? LOL

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the M/V c. Columbus. http://www.greatlakescruising. com/columbus/ She was doing a short cruise of the Detroit & St. Clair Rivers today. She was in Port Huron at the Bean Dock/Seaway Terminal this morning, then turned to head back up to Port Huron with no stops along the way. I believe they had some other trips this season where they stopped at Dieppe Park in Windsor.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has heard of cruisers stopping and docking at Windsor but now they are dissing Detroit AND Windsor?
What's the deal?

jjaba.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it out on Lake St Clair about 11:30. It's nice to see cruise ships on the lakes. We took the 10 day cruise about 4 years ago. Great time, but a lot of old people on it, maybe the time of the year. It was nice to see the German show girls tanning topless on the back deck though.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a couple of pictures I took when I was home (in Port Huron) this weekend of the Columbus at port, but I don't remember how to post photo's and the FAQ page is down. Can anyone help me?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsens Is has given us another reason to cruise the Great Lakes!

I remember readings something in the paper a short while ago that the Convention & Visitor's bureau was working to lure Great Lakes cruise ships to Detroit. They were wooing the cruise companies to make sure the new port facilities were in use right from the get go. The cruise ship people were apparently very impressed with the variety of day trips that could be taken by cruise ship patrons.

It sounds like Detroit will be the next port of call!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 734
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andyguard73, posting photos FAQ: https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=formatting #images

(Message edited by Jimaz on October 09, 2006)

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jimaz. I was heading out of town when I snapped these, so I apologize for the quality, but here's a couple of pics of the Columbus at Port Huron yesterday, around noon.

columbus1

columbus2

It's awesome for the city when she's in port. Many people simply walk downtown, but as you can see buses are provided to take people into town to shop and eat.

(Message edited by andyguard73 on October 09, 2006)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4402
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent shots of Port Huron and the ship. Port scenes are gritty but getting folks to walk in Michigan from Germany or wherever is a tribute to Port Huron.

Harsensis, your comment about old people on cruises was weaker than a third cup of Chinese tea. Young people love cruises too. Can we all get along?

jjaba. (It ain't Porch Urine this week.)

Harsensis

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young people do like cruises, but most don't choose to go on a cruise in September when the kids have just started back in school and the weather could be chilly. The younger families go for the disney and carnival cruises where it is warm and they can play. It felt like you were in Germany when you were on the ship, even though they try to cater to the Americans. Many of the morning meals would be exactly like you would get in Europe and you had to bring adapters to plug anything in that needed electricity. Sometimes I would brush off my weak German to help someone who was having trouble with English so I could get what I wanted. But Jabba, the dancing girls were young, about 19 or 20, so there was some youth there!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, saw it passing through the straits from Belle Isle handball courts around noon. It stopped play on all courts while we ogled and wondered about it. Too bad we couldn't see the Frauleins too. Thanks for the info.

Thegse
Username: Thegse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Understand that these types of ships aren't dissing the D. They simply cannot fit anywhere downtown. The mooring stations will not accomadate them....not to mention there is not enough water. Unless they( the riverfront conservancy) dredge the Detroit side and actually consult someone who knows about maritime issues, these ships will continue to just pass by.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too bad we couldn't see the Fraeuleins too."

Yeh, too bad! They were mooning you as they passed.

Harsensis

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How deep is the water along the dock near Cobo? The Columbus displaces 18 feet of water, the comfort-zone for such vessels is 19.5 feet according to the Sault Star.

Thegse

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no place to tie up.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the website, she is due to stop at Windsor on her way to Toronto on 10/20.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the growth of Great Lakes cruise ship industry, one would think a move to make a mooring spot downtown for day visits would be very positive. The Renaissance Center with its Wintergarden would be an excellent mooring spot adn dramatic entry point with ease of access to the rest of downtown. It also could help the dead-end [for foot traffic] businesses there.

Another positive move would be to re-establish a ferry to Windsor but customs, which is killing us all economically, are sure to complicate that idea.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the Detroit-Windsor ferry!

Lowell, the greatest advantage (with respect to Customs) of the ferry is that the ferry would not get caught in the tunnel (or bridge) queue.

The ferry would also be perfect for Detroit-Windsor tourism.

Thegse

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with the rencen is two fold. One the depth there is only 20 feet give or take depending on wind. Secondly, there is a dock there that the Infinity uses, but a friend over a Diamond Jacks says the insurance to use it is crazy. You have to insure the entire WinterGarden area and you have to insure the hotel to a point where if someone fell leaving the rencen you could be held liable! Also, Rencen security must be there to do all the dock work which, I don't know if you've seen some of them, is a liabilty by itself. My guess is the only way the Infinity can use it is because they charge so much and balance out the extra cost over the entire summer. I don't think one time oreven four uses over a summer could be justified as of right now.

Gotta love GM making such a weak attempt.

edited for cold ass hands trying to type

(Message edited by Thegse on October 12, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.