Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Herman Gardens « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what was on the site before they built Herman Gardens? Was it just farm land? And who was Herman?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was part of Dearborn Township and a farm.

Herman was the name of a guy who looked like Frankenstien. He was the lead character on an early sit com known as the Munsters.

Actually there is also the school named after him. I'd assume he was the farmer, but I could be wrong.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good site for a Wal-Mart but unfortunately Livonia city council beat Detroit by giving them huge tax breaks by not charging them for public bus service.

And then voted themselves pay raises.

So, remember when the newspapers show pictures of thoses who can't get to work in a few days.

Remember this the next time you pay rent or a property tax also.

It's the poor who will pay when DeVos or Granholm refuses to fight the County Sales Tax to REPLACE over $100 Million per year for the city of Detroit and remember when even more good jobs leave.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walmart owns the Super K site less than two miles from here, look for the SprawlMart at Southfield and Ford Rd

30th_street

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, maybe the map gods could look to see if it was Herman's farm?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kind of like the almost new, abandoned sams club on 14 mile just east of john R?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy do I remember Herman Gardens. We used to ride the Southfield Rd. Bus to Fairlane Mall, the bus would go through the Gardens. Kids would line up and starting chucking pieces of concrete at the bus as it rolled through. The driver would just whistle non-chalantly away and keep cruising along why we were ducking down behind the seats. It was an older project development. Mom told me an uncle lived there in the early 50s when he came to the D from the Indian Reservation.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judge Mathis's hood!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herman Gardens is long gone. After the crackheads and low-lifes started to take over and trying to move closer to predominately Arab Muslim Warrendale neighborhood. There is a new sporting recreation complex comming soon next to the old Herman Middle School building.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is a new sporting recreation complex comming soon next to the old Herman Middle School building.

That's not just any "new sporting recreation complex". That's the NFL/YET Boys & Girls Club; being built on the renamed Dick & Sandy Dauch Campus.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/08/nflyet-continues-to-m ove-forward.html

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4413
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John De Lorean and Judhe Mathis. Wow, two greats in Detroit lore.

Hermann Gardens was all-white when built, a testimony to segregated Public Housing. It looked like a mini-Appalachia in ethnicity but probably was a mix of Euro-Americans.

jjaba, Westsider.

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to go to Ruddiman middle school near the Herman Gardens. The residents that lived there were the worst. the kids would fight, steal and all sorts of things. i remember riding the school bus through the Gardens along the service drive and for about two or three blocks the kids and young adults would throw anything they could get their hands on at the bus. we would duck and stay low until we reached Joy road. Everyday we would go through this. thank god I went to school at Ruddiman, because I began to become a serious student because I was terrified of the kids in that school.

Erob
Chicago by way of Detroit

30th_street

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at a 1936 Wayne County Farm Atlas I see the Herman Gardens site was part of "West Haven Sub." in Detroit. I have driven in the area and I see a farm house on the corner of Constance and Ashbery Park. I was trying to see who owned the farmland that was there. Maybe someone has access to an earlier map?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John DeLorean grew up in the Six Mile/Dequindre neighborhood. The East side. Nowhere near Herman Gardens.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh????

Dertoitej72

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.