Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What Happened to Agave? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there last night, found out they closed. Their phones are disconnected as well. Anybody know what happpened?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 722
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it has been about 3 months or more that they have been closed. I think it was tenant/owner relation issues?? May just be making that up though.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/77314.html

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ndavies...I did a search for "agave" but it didn't turn up anything for me.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3085
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site seems fated for failure. It is a business mystery. It has plenty of fenced parking, lots of space, an really nice outside garden and is in the midst of a booming area.

Of all the past attempts Gregory's, Alexander's, Stewart's [did I miss one?] I thought Agave had the best menu and ambience. I was disappointed to see it fail.

Welcome to the forum Mercman.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a fading name on the side, too: Canfield's.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agave was a real presence in midtown. what a blow to see it go down just because of tenant owner squabling. reminds me of the laundromat at second and prentis and the two storefronts next to it. those have remained vacant for three years now because the owner charges too much for rent and isnt willing to compromise. what a pity.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The failure of the laundry wasn't the direct result of landlord/tenant squabling, however, a new laundromat will be going in very soon.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lowell

That site seems fated for failure. It is a business mystery. It has plenty of fenced parking, lots of space, an really nice outside garden and is in the midst of a booming area.

If you mean a seating area next to the stinky dumpsters then I guess it was nice patio.

One more annoying thing about Agave is it did not have a front door. Even Union Street has a front door.

The location does seem to be the Detroit counter part to the old Jukebox site in RO. That land must be an Indian burial ground or something as nothing lasts more than a few months.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is not having a front door annoying?

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

having a front door makes a storefront more inviting to those walking by on the street. i understand there are alot of crackheads walking around that area, but the backdoor-only entrance made it feel like a mini-fortress.

i was also annoyed by agave's lack of a front door. having patio seating in front would be nice, a la royal oak, except its not all that possible with so many crackheads walking around in that area. i understand why they designed the restaurant like they did but i still didnt like it.

here's to more traditional storefronts on woodward!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know all the parties involved and I can tell you that the article in the paper was a smokescreen.
I wish I could tell what I know but it will have to wait.
Once the court cases are filed I will be able to spill the beans

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it good or bad news? as in could we ever see agave again in a new location thats all we want to know, whether or not to have hope

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well Apbest at the end of the old thread someone mentioned a possible move to the old Blue Moon site. Is that still a possibility or was that person just blowing smoke up our asses?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox, I never noticed the dumpster smell issue. Maybe the wind was blowing the other way whenever I was there, but that could be addressed by moving them back in the huge parking lot. Allowing even a whiff of that is really bad management.

Regarding the street-front entrance and seating, the amount of sidewalk space combined with the traffic volume and being on the shady side in the afternooon doesn't seem attractive. The rear entrance made a lot of sense because of ease of access to parking. [Not saying I approve of all that, but I just know Detroiters enough that they want to park and get in. No lot and a front entrance only would doom that spot even more.] The views offered are generally not very appealing, other than a glance of downtown.

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't even hear about Agave opening!

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Agave's Manager. They're reopening soon and he's asked that this be posted on DetroitYes:

Hello,
I just wanted to let you know about Agave. Agave has had consistent problems with it's landlord. As you may or may not know that location has had many restarauntuers in the past who have had the same situation with the landlord. While we lasted much longer than the others we have decided that he does not deserve a quality establishment in his building. Unfortunately for him we have moved 2 blocks south on Woodward. We will re-open soon and will keep everyone updated via email. Thank you so much for your patronage. The new menu, location and look will be outstanding and we are all very excited. Keep in touch and we'll see you at the New Agave soon!

Thank you,
Josh Baker
Director of Operations
Agave Restaurant/2500 Club
4265 Woodward Ave./2500 Park Ave.
Detroit,MI 48201

Apbest

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fuck yeah

Rjlj

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They better have a front door or else I will not go to the new restaurant, along with many others on this forum.

Apbest

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that blue moon block..Im assuming they mean they'e moving to Alexandrine, needs alot of work, so its totally awesome they're moving in

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They better have a front door or else I will not go to the new restaurant, along with many others on this forum.

That's a super. fucking. retarded. reason not to go to a restaurant.

I mean, the total idiocy of that blows my mind. Think about it - how do you say that to someone rational? "I won't eat there because they don't have a front door." That's like saying "I won't go to (Proof) because they have parentheses in their name." Which someone actually said to me once.

Of course I am sure Agave will miss the patronage of you and your "many others" on this forum. You know, the ones with a median take-home income of $15,049 (not counting money from mom & dad). I know how forumers love those $7 margaritas!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10744
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody's Cheerios were a bit tart this morning it seems.

Rjlj

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was joking about how some people on this forum have stated it bothered them that Agave part 1 did not have a front door. I thought it was a stupid complaint in the first place to make about an establishment. I don't knock restaurants that don't have windows. I guess the sarcasm doesn't come across well on forums.

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is george still involved in the operations?

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DialH, who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? Thanks for calling me an idiot, dickhead.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DONKEY SHOW!!!! http://www.gotdonkeys.com/mini ature_donkey_shows.htm

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<------crabby

OK, clearly the sarcasm didn't make it through to me, sorry about that. It just really blows my mind the way people will use the tiniest of details that they don't like as an excuse not to patronize a local small business. And then complain about how we don't have more small businesses. And then hope and pray that miraculously we'll get some chain to move in.

And Matty, you didn't have to out yourself! It was just an example ... but it was one of the most ridiculous reasons for not patronizing a business that I ever heard.

Matt

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That and the $20 cover just to walk in and pick you up.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10748
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard some gay people say they thought Cliff Bell's would be a good venue for a drag queen show, so I don't go there anymore. :-)

Matt

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really. I thought you already had your stage name picked out and shaved your head so your wig would fit easier?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is going on with the laundromat on Second Ave?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.