Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit has Snacks to Fall Back on, NOT! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS we all know, Detroit is one of the snack food capitals of the world. We have Faygo, Ray's, Better Made, and many other snack foods c companies in the local economy. The sad part about it is two things.

1. The places that i listed are only secondary to the bigger snack companies.

2. the hundreds of LOCAL snack companies that were around about 50 years ago are gone, and the companies around now are really struggling, with them being secondary snack companies.

So basically, we can be recognize for our historic and present snack productions, although, it wouldn't compare to Frito-Lays and Coke's recognition.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South Beloit, IL is probably the "salted snacks" capital of the nation because once there were four major snack companies who maintained regional or national distribution centers there.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frito-Lay used to have a production plant in Romulus off 94. It closed a little while ago and it's now a Discount Tire warehouse.

Dtown1

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have one in Sterling Heights, I believe its the production company for all of the surrounding states,

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Food Channel did a special on Detroit restaurants like the Roma Cafe in the Eastern Market and Lafayette Coney Island, they posted a message between takes about Detroit being the "Potato Chip Capital". This was only about two years ago, are you saying Detroit has lost its "Potato Chip Capital" title already?

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When the Food Channel did a special on Detroit restaurants like the Roma Cafe in the Eastern Market and Lafayette Coney Island

When was this? I missed it.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sort of consolidation of the little guy happens in all types of industries. Look at department store consolidation, banks, etc. Some businesses simply do not survive for multitudes of reasons. Red Pelican, my favorite mustard of all time, went out of business because the old-timer that ran the company wanted to retire. I wish I had known, I would have bought the recipe. Vernors sold out to a bigger company.

Some Detroit originals are still going strong. Take Awrey's for example; they have a contract w/ Costco for pre-packaged sweet rolls. I've seen 'em in Chicago & Iowa.

There are some new local players too; here's an example of a new local start-up in snack foods, and quite frankly, they make the BEST salsa & chips I've ever had. Buy 'em, you'll love this schitt!
http://www.gardenfreshsalsa.co m/default.asp

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Best of Detroit" episode was on the Food Network in February of this year.

See:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/foo d/show_be/episode/0,1976,FOOD_ 9949_31773,00.html

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Pelican mustard was always the mustard of choice growing up mainly because it was the mustard used and advertised at all Tiger home games.

A quick search on Google turns up Red Pelican Food Products based in Grosse Pointe, MI. A phone call to the place though only yielded an answering machine's recorded message. Bummer.

http://www.macraesbluebook.com /search/company.cfm?company=40 5764

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These guys are still around:

http://www.germack.com/profile new.html

Dtown1

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said snack food because we can't forget about the soda factoriews we have, the pepsi factory, Atlas Soda, Faygo Pop, the the potato chip companies, as I listed already. Not saying that we lost any titles, just that we have the largest amount of any snack food factories literally in the city of Detroit, particulary headquarters.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the title, I thought this thread had something to do with the revival of the Wayne's World linguistic movement....

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, for one, lament the demise of all the good old Detroit factories that spewed out tons of industrial waste into the atmosphere.

What does industrial pollution have to do with junk food, you ask?

Use your imagination... they're not so far apart.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything about Brede horseradish and Topors pickles?

I buy them at Farmer Jack and they are both Detroit compnaies.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frito-Lay used to have a production plant in Romulus off 94. It closed a little while ago and it's now a Discount Tire warehouse.

That's actually Allen Park. Romulus is roughly six miles west of that location. Didn't Smirnoff used to have a distro center along that stretch as well at one time?

Dtown1

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smirnoff is now gone also, by the looks of the building, look like they just recently moved on about 2-4 years ago.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We still have Better Made Potato Chips, Uncle Ray's Chips, and Fago's headquarters here, so not all have left...And Let's not forget OUR CONEY ISLANDS!!!(American, Laf., Nat., etc.)

We may have lost Vernor's, but it is still produced, which makes it, at least locally, a "Detroit" product. That is more than I can say for Stroh's, Hudson's and Uniroyal.

And who can forget our Vlasic Pickels, made buy Detroit's OWN POLE'S!!!

Detroitej72

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though only a distant echo of its former self, Stroh's is still produced by the same people who bring you PBR. You can still pick it up here in New York in select stores. I've yet to find a bar in NY that carries this once "fire-brewed" beer, but some old bars here like CBGB's (closing this weekend) still have their Stroh's signs in place.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kars Nuts is headquartered in Madison Heights, but has a facility in Ferndale. Or is Kars mainly a regional thing?

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where is the best place to get a hot fudge sundae in Detroit? I'm not talking about just a jar of Sanders hot fudge, you can buy that anywhere. I'm looking for a place in Detroit that actually makes a real hot fudge sundae, with Sanders hot fudge, whipped cream, and the full nine. All and all I think Sanders hot fudge is pretty damn good, as it were.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10751
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Beer Company has a monster of a hotfudge sundae. Made with real Sander's Hotfudge, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry on top. Have that for your main course, order up the deep fried twinkies for desert and a Red Bull (red blood) for desert.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.