Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit: Lights Out? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the middle of the 7th inning, the sun is starting to set, and guess what? the abandoned buildings in the Co-Pa skyline are as dim as they ever are.

Much of Detroit has improved, however, unfoutunately the buildings (Broderick) showing in the skyline are dark.

Would it kill Detroit to light up the buildings and the skyline the same way they did for the super bowl?

Downtown is getting much more exposure this time around compared to the one night that they bowl was played.

Rant over, back to the game.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DETROIT" will not pay to light the buildings... the OWNERS are the ones who would have to do that. Unless they have tenants, they aren't going to do it.

It sounds good..... but no dice

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering the Broderick is soon going to be under reconstruction, which is a feat in itself, I'm more than willing to give a pass to its lights not being on. lol

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think people need to see and deal with reality. No lights on.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6905
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just not that great a fan of reality. You can keep it, really. Its bandwagon, too.

How about a few well-aimed spotlights?!

Just don't let the hulks hover in shadow like that, it is a wee disturbing. That damn Broderick haunts the skyline from that angle. Hell, ANY angle, unless you're wet.

How about a laser light show co-ordinated with the ballpark music and action...or even some form of advertisement?! Anything. The FAA and Homeland Security will have a field day with this idea! It's probably a felony just talking about aiming a laser above eye level now.

Some of these new LED-based displays and projection systems are amazingly efficient for the size of the image...it's only a matter time before these buildings have revolving ads like the banners behind home plate and the scorer's table in the NBA.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 743
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, Viziondetroit, and Chub...

What's up with the hate?

The downtown building lights are still on, so you can save your bashing for another thread.

It is obvious that you guys don't know much about Detroit, and the impact of seasonal change.
--------------

Due to the northern location of Detroit, the amount of daylight varies greatly over the year. For example, the sunset is late in the summer, and early in the winter.

If you haven't noticed, we are in the midst of our annual reduction of daylight. The sun is setting about 1.5 minutes earlier every day.

Over the span of just 2 weeks, the sun is going down 21 minutes earlier.
-----------

Now that we have had a remedial course in physical science, we can address these ignorant statements...

quote:

Its the middle of the 7th inning, the sun is starting to set, and guess what? the abandoned buildings in the Co-Pa skyline are as dim as they ever are.
Would it kill Detroit to light up the buildings and the skyline the same way they did for the super bowl?

WTF? The sun is setting and all the building lights aren't on yet? This must be another example of how much Detroit sucks... or it could be the result of the normal seasonal change.

quote:

"DETROIT" will not pay to light the buildings... the OWNERS are the ones who would have to do that. Unless they have tenants, they aren't going to do it.

quote:

I think people need to see and deal with reality. No lights on.

Hmmm...

Considering the fact that all these lights still come on during the evening, it might be possible that the exterior building lighting isn't perfectly timed with the daily changes of the sunset.

On the other hand, the lack of daily exterior lighting adjustments on downtown buildings may point our need to "see and deal with reality. No lights on."

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember some urban explorers running around turning on all of the lights in the David Whitney Building during a Tigers game. The owner got pretty pissed about that. So I guess no lights on for that building.

I'm sure the Broderick will get lighting when it's rennovated. But probably only on the top and bottom even when its finished. Even if a residential building is occupied, they can still be pretty dark since tenants avoid leaving the lights on when they are away.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...turning on all of the lights in the David Whitney Building during a Tigers game. The owner got pretty pissed about that. So I guess no lights on for that building."

Yeah, he instead has concentrated on leaving the building wide-open, so the lights can get smashed and stolen instead of simply turned on.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the all-star game last year someone was projecting a giant MLB logo onto the front of Broderick Tower using a projector set up in GCP.

It looked neat, and at the time did a good job exposing the blight of that building.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yeah, he instead has concentrated on leaving the building wide-open, so the lights can get smashed and stolen instead of simply turned on."

Valid Point.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 399
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that's why I'm not a drug user or a big drinker. Dealing with reality is more what I'm interested in. The lights should never have gone out in these building in the first place. Thanks to the voters in the last 30 years, we have buildings you're going to have to be ashamed of. Code violation enforcement would have helped years ago.

(Message edited by chub on October 14, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.