Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Palmer Woods walking tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday I went on the Palmer Woods walking tour. I figured quite a few more people would show up than the thirteen that did. It was really great to see another former on the tour. A lot of great information was shared on this great neighborhood and I took pics. I will have to post.

The Yamasaki house was originally intended to be one floor, but neighborhood rules made it clear that 2-story dwellings were desired. It didn’t appear to be the most comfortable house to live in.

I had no idea that Robert O. Derrick did any projects in there, let alone a Tudor of sorts. I believe the owner sent him to England to study the various styles. It had a whitewashed facade with a huge rear servant’s wing.

The Alfred and William Fisher residential block was just that. It was bordered by Gloucester, Lucerne, Wellesley, Balmoral, and Lincolnshire. They had a nine-hole golf course in the rear along Lucerne where those modern homes currently stand. Apparently there are a number of ponds and fountains on the former Alfred Fisher grounds. It was said that it took 16,000 gallons of water to fill them and then the water would automatically be drained into the sewer (this was before meters). I was unaware of the tunnel connecting the Bishop’s mansion with the William Fisher house that burned. I know the Alfred and William had tunnels, but not the Bishop’s mansion.

The former Dennis Archer home was one of my faves as well. I cannot remember the architect’s name, since there were quite a few names I had never heard of. I had a great limestone facade and was well balanced.

Clarence Burton (of Burton Collection fame) built an Italianate house with a green-tiled roof. That home was actually relocated into its present location. He went on to move into a Richard Marr Tudor, which is now for sale.

Further down from the Fisher at Suffolk stood another regal Tudor. The guide had no information on it, but it had to have been one of the more massive homes. It was three stories and was all red brick. It was quite possibly the most detailed home in the neighborhood. Its carriage house was sold off and made into a private residence. It is now painted white, but retains that beautiful blue tiled fountain.

My favorite was the Prentiss (sp) Tudor. I think it was on Lowell or Cumberland. Again, this was another design by Richard Marr. This one was massive at something like 13000 square feet with a ballroom over the carriage house. It has a huge yellowish entryway in the front.

Anyone have any information on Richard Marr? He did a dozen or so homes in the neighborhood.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on this tour too. I was in the group with the male tour guide. I don't think he mentioned the tunnels, that is interesting. He did mention that one of the Fisher homes was stripped and fixtures were sold by the owner and then suspiciously burned down in the early 90s.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you notice the Dorothy Turkel house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright is actually going through a renovation and is all fenced off?

Thats great news for this FLW fans..

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i recently remember reading an article on the renovation of the Turkel house. Is anyone able to remember where I might have read it? Detroit Home, maybe?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the info on the recent sale of the Turkel House by the guys who own Blossoms in Birmingham.

http://www.savewright.org/hous e_information/turkel_sold.html

http://www.savewright.org/talk /viewtopic.php?p=4941&sid=6798 1c847bb1ed19cca1925ac4759096

Metro Times story: http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9372

Detroit News story: http://vh10624.moc.gbahn.net/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2006 0617/LIFESTYLE01/606170410/103 8

I also was on the tour yesterday. I will try to post some additional notes and perhaps some photos to follow up on what Patrick has already posted.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A number of the families who built homes in Palmer Woods moved there from the Boston-Edison neighborhood. For example, Clarence Burton (of Burton Title & Abstract Co. and the Burton Library) lived on Boston Blvd., two doors from Woodward. The Meyer Prentis family lived in a grand Tudor house on Chicago Blvd. between Second and Third. This house later belonged to Dr. Remus Robinson, the first black member of the Board of Education and after whom the school is named.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4476
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the opportunity to tour the Fisher home that burned in the '70's and recently spoke to a realtor in the area who had been in that home many times since. He stated that the story of the tunnels is a myth that has been around for decades, and that there are none now, nor did they ever exist. I didn't see any on the tour I was on, but the realtor seemed up to speed since he was very familiar with the insides of many PW homes. The Fisher homes are a magnificent part of Detroit history, I only wish some futuristic types could have purchased them when they were marketed at prices in the $50,000 range - and didn't sell for a very long time (in the 1970's) and turned them into museums.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job, Patrick, on recapping the tour highlights.

The architect of the Italianate house, once owned by Dennis and Trudy Archer, was Arthur Kutsche. He designed this house for himself to live in while he was working at Kahn Associates' lead architect on the General Motors Building project.

The Meyer Prentis House is on Balmoral n. of Wellesley. Just one of many Palmer Woods homes designed by Richard Marr.

The Frazier-Couzens Company was responsible for some 17 homes in Palmer Woods. One of their beauties is a white stucco Chateauesque home that was built for Frank Gorman. It is located on Balmoral. (A photo of this house appears on the Palmer Woods Historic District page of the National Register of Historic Places: http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/trave l/detroit/d34.htm.)

The 2006 Palmer Woods Holiday Home Tour is Sunday, December 3rd. http://www.palmerwoods.org/ From what we are told, there are some not-to-be-missed homes on this year's tour!!!!

For info on the Palmer Woods Neighborhood Association: http://www.palmerwoods.org/

Patrick

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, did you work for the Archdiocese back then? Do you have a picture of the William Fisher home? What was it like? An older genetlan on the tour told me that tunnels were built because of kidnappings and so that the family could go to the 2nd floor chapel of the Bishop's mansion. I wonder why the Fisher's didn't have Marr build that home as well.

Deegee
Username: Deegee

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the tunnels a myth, or a fact? Is there a way to know for sure? Are there any stories of tunnels in the Boston-Edison district?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my knowledge William Fisher's home had a tunnel connecting his to brother A.J.'s home next door.

When William's home was set ablaze in the early 90's, the occupent of A.J.'s home was quoted in the Free Press as saying there used to be a tunnel connecting the two homes, but it has since been blocked off.

On a side note, the Fisher Brother's paid for the Bishop's Home to be built during the Great Depresion. When the Bishop saw the home's extravegant design, he promtly ordered the walls to be covered with cheep pannel instead of the walnut walls orriginally called for.

He said, and I am paraphrasing this, "This expense cannot be justified as the common man is struggling to make ends meet. I cannot live amongst such decadence as the mass'es are living in squalor."

After the Archdiocise sold the home, it was bought by Detroit Pistons star John Salley. He told the reporter that he wanted to live in the biggest house in Detroit. I remember reading an article about Salley when he gave a tour of the home to a reporter.

He was a Jehovah's Witness, and subsiquently turned the chapel into a TV room.

The house is now owned by another family of the church; a Baptist couple who are ministers of thier faith.

Detroitej72

Karl

Post Number: 4492
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I've posted rather extensively on this home on other threads, but I'll briefly recap.

The home was vacant for a number of years in the '70's and was for sale for $54,000. It sat for a long time, one could buy a very nice home with far less upkeep for that kind of money in those days - and then there were the taxes, $14,000 - a huge sum in those days. I think I counted 14 chimneys and recall imagining they might all be hooked to furnaces (!!)

At the time it was built, it was the largest and most expensive home in Detroit. No expense was spared. At the time I toured it, none of the scavenging had begun and it was still intact, everything in excellent condition. It had 2 pipe organs including one that was a player. The detail was unbelievable. I was told that all kitchen sinks that appeared to be stainless were actually pewter.

At the time, there were rumors of a tunnel between the brothers' homes - no mention of one between there and the Bishop's. The reason given was so that the cousins could ride bikes back/forth and not have to go outside. Later, I spoke with a realtor who had gone deep into the catacombs of both homes many times and said it was all a myth. At one time I'd done some fairly extensive research on that home and hoped to do more but haven't had time. Frankly, every time I get to the fire part it makes me a bit sick. Those homes were built during an era when Detroit was the wealthiest and most successful city in the WORLD and should have been preserved, but I digress.

Every window was loaded with leaded glass, and every bit of material used in construction was the finest available. Many of the features had been constructed by artisans brought from Europe, or imported intact from Europe.

I wish that someone with daily access to early records and newspapers could do a thread on this particular home. It had to have been discussed extensively in the papers in a variety of sections over the years and certainly had a long, rich history. Further, there must be someone living in the metropolitan area who actually lived in that home during its heyday (ie; a surviving Fisher offspring??) I'm simply a fan of fine old homes, and was a youngster when I was priveleged to be wowed by this granddaddy of all Detroit properties.

At that time the Diocese still owned the other home. No, I've never been employed by the Diocese nor am I Catholic, and didn't know at the time that there was any connection between the homes. It would be a great tour if it was ever open for such.

Regarding the talk of kidnappings, these homes were built before the Lindberg scare, so I doubt that was a concern.

Pam

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The 2006 Palmer Woods Holiday Home Tour is Sunday, December 3rd. http://www.palmerwoods.org/ From what we are told, there are some not-to-be-missed homes on this year's tour!!!!

Did they say tickets will be sold online? I just remember her mentioning the police station selling them the day of the tour.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall any online sales. They have some designated presale sites (like the Pronto store in Royal Oak) and then the Police Station on the day of the tour. As the date gets closer, more info will be available, and it is usually posted on the Forum.

Patrick

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was said that the Alfred Fisher had 14 servants at any one time and another 5 in the summer.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several conflicting stories about that fire much of it rumor and innuendo. One rumor is that snarky neighbors started emphasizing the suspicious nature of the fire because they didn't like the owners and the way the owners were handling the rennovation (the stripping of the house and the specifics of the contractors actions leading up to the fire). Another is that the owners were overwhelmed by the task at hand and ... well ... Another is that is was simply an accident due to contractor negligence. Who knows ... Yay Detroit!

Although those giants in PW were particularly hard sells back then, the same was true with some of their suburban counterparts at about the same time, GP famously lost some historic beauties and at least PW didn't put in condos in their stead. BH also, quietly, lost one or two prewar beauties about the same time. I believe Grosse Isle also had at least one notable property sit empty for a long time back then.

Of course this is all part of a historic trend in Detroit, prior to the bad old days of the late 60's and 70's, Detroit's wealthiest abandoned their neighborhoods for greener pastures as well, leaving their mansions for teardown redevelopment (the WW corridor) to neglect and ruin (Gray Haven), subdivision into rental units (!) (Brush Park), or, heaven forbid, even the middle classes (IV/BE/AP) (yikes!)!!

Yay Detroit!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a fwe photos from Saturday's tour....

This 1925 Italianate house was designed by Arthur Kutsche for himself as a residence while he worked as chief architect for Albert Kahn's General Motors Building. Located on Lincolnshire, prior to the current owner, it was the Dennis Archer residence.
Kutsche

This Lincolnshire house was designed by Albert Kahn
Kahn

This front door adorns the 1929 Richard Marr house designed for Meyer Prentis on Balmoral
Marr

This Cumberland Tudor-style home was designed by Robert O. Derrick
Derrick

Check out the brickwork and Pewabic tile on this Cumberland Tudor Revival by W.C. Morris, 1928
Morris

This Strathcona two-story brick house was designed by Minoru Yamasaki, 1952
yamasaki

Inspired by a French chateau, this Argyle Crescent home was built for Frank Isby (architect not known)
Isby

This Wellesley Tudor Revival was designed by C. Howard Crane, 1924
Crane

Pam

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics Kathleen. That French chateau one was one of my favorites.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick - Why do you not think that the Yamasaki looks comfortable to live in? My parents have been in that house for 31 years and it is a great house.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitcoff: Can you provide some details about the interior? How many rooms on each floor? Unique features? Thanks.

Pam

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Info on the holiday tour is up. You can buy tickets online:

http://www.palmerwoods.org/eve ntsA.html

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Italianate former home of the Archers reminds me of one of my favorite Palmer Woods homes on Wellesley. It's the one with the conservatory and is currently for sale for just under $800k.
The Cumberland Tudor-style home was for sale and must have recently sold as it is no longer listed on MLS.
The French Chateau on Argyle Crescent is currently for sale at $648k

The Tudor-revival is one of my favorites. My parents sought to buy it in the 70s but the taxes were a showstopper. It's my hope that one day it will be up for sale and I will buy it.
I have also heard the 'rumors' about the tunnels between the Fisher mansions. There was an article about the 'king' that lived there in the 80s and it mentioned tunnels between the two houses as well. I watched that house burn with tears in my eyes. It was glorious. I am happy to see that the house across the street is finally being renovated because it has been an eyesore for about 12 years.

Karl

Post Number: 4658
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa - Pam, is the "Bishop's House" referred to going to be open on this tour - the largest home in Detroit?

That's quite a coup.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the date for the home tour? I don't see one on the web site.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not there but the date is Sunday, December 3rd

Pam

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whoa - Pam, is the "Bishop's House" referred to going to be open on this tour - the largest home in Detroit?

Yes.

Patrick

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitcoff, no offense but man, it looks like a work of art.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My youngest brother is buying in Palmer Park. He was in Birmingham, I failed as an older sibling.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FW, is he moving to Palmer Park or to Palmer Woods?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen is that Wellesley Tudor Revival by C. Howard Crane the John Kunsky House? (Kunsky was the theatre owner who built the Adams, Madison, State, Capitol and Michigan Theatres downtown).

Kathleen

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Gistok, it is. And that fact was noted by our tour guide.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's official!! The Palmer Woods Neighborhood website has been updated to reflect the date of this year's Holiday Home Tour on December 3.

http://www.palmerwoods.org/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.