Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Would it be better if the Mets get the pennant? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although a St. Louis trip to the World Series would make endless comparisons with the '68 version I believe that the national media would ignor the entire series. If the New York Mets make it would be an important event. The rest of country would get a chance to see another positive story about the city of Detroit. What do you think?

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball TV ratings have been tanking for a while, with spikes whenever either the Red Sox or Yankees are involved. I do think that a Detroit - St. Louis series will be overlooked more than a Detroit - Mets series. But the Mets aren't the marquee national team from the NYC market, either.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Tigers are THE story.

later - naturalsister

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the national media would exactly ignore a Tigers-Cardinals World Series, but generally, I agree with your assertion that a meeting with the Mets would be better for our city. Also, it would provide a chance to slap around yet another team from New York, although most of us could not possibly detest the Mets with anywhere near the level of loathing we hold for the Yanks. On top of that, St. Louis is more of a "hardscrabble, workingman's town" like Detroit, so why tussle with them? (Besides, screw the Cardinals. Lately, they win their division handily, then fizzle. I have more respect for the Mets.) One last thing, however-- Leyland and LaRussa, probably, would love to go after each other in the World Series.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That stuff about huge ratings drops if a team like the Yankees isn't involved is a myth, at least on a national scale anyway.

"Did you know that during the 2000 Subway Series, 61% of the televisions in New York watched Game 5? Did you know that the next thirty (30) largest television markets, during that same exact viewing period, registered double digit percentage losses compared to the market in New York City?"

http://baseball-almanac.com/ws /wstv.shtml

Average rating since 1995 for World Series games with the Yankees: 14.8
Average rating since 1995 for World Series games without the Yankees: 15.2

Average share since 1995 for World Series games with the Yankees: 24.5
Average share since 1995 for World Series games without the Yankees: 25.4

Data came from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W orld_Series_television_ratings

The ratings of baseball as a whole are falling. What teams are playing doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lot of it has to do w/ how horrible the Fox broadcasts are.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3877
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the broadcasters for the ALCS were horrid. They were so uninformed and didn't have a clue.

I'm going to assume they'd bring their golden child, Joe Buck to call the Finals.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't stand all of the stupid sound effects and graphics and pointless info about the players. Like i care what their favorite food is. The camera angles are also pathetic, especially the home plate cam, reminds me of fox's lazer hockey puck.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly, I don't give a damn about the national media or who is watching. Bring on the easiest matchup!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed about Fox. I actually thought I was the only one. But the infinite replays, and the stupid graphics and sounds really get to me.

ESPN broadcasts are wonderful, in my opinion.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN is so much more professional than Fox. At least with ESPN, the graphics are at least relevant to the game. Fox seemed more interested in showing us the favorite actors of the athletes.

I just want a sense of professionalism when it comes to covering the game. I could care less how the mass media wants to spin the Tigers versus whomever. Where's George Kell, Al Kaline & Larry Osterman when we really need them??

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5898
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I have a buring desire to know which professional wrester is Kenny Rogers' favorite... lmfao!

They blow, and they couldn't have found a duller person than Lou Pinella to put in the brodcast booth.

I hope he gets a managing job this off season so I never, ever, ever have to deal with that again.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then there is my favorite Dumb-ass move: The camera shot of the booth, so not only are you stuck with listening to these wretchedly annoying bastards, you have to see them, too. Also, the insistence on trying to fit little taped bits IN BETWEEN BATTERS so that we miss the first pitch to the batter.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are like me, when it gets too offensive, SAP the spanish broadcast instead ... you still get the quick edits, dermatologically explicit closups and bad camera angles but at least you won't get the idiot announcers (my "habling espanol" :P is a bit too clumsy to pick up more than the play by play).

btw the FOX affiliate channel I was watching MISSED the first Ordonez HR in game 4, they got back from the commercial too late with their bumper ad.

As to NY/StL, imo it doesn't matter. NY injured is almost as good as StL which says a lot about this years NL. NY was the class of the NL this reg season, StL has been the class of the NL for the last few years so both have a claim to rep the NL. StL has much more postseason experience and are a slightly better team right now.

Either one it doesn't matter DET is a better team and they are playing better. (Note this doesn't mean a cakewalk in the WS, remember an improbable BOS embarassed a powerhouse StL team a couple of years back and there are many mant other examples too.) As a Tiger fan, I don't think EITHER team offers a significant weakness c/w the other re playing DET.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mets for sure, because we will get far more national exposure. NY controls the TV world and media world and anything the feeds their bonfire of vanities will get hyped. There will be a lot of, 'Hey what's going on in Detroit' and will add more to our growing buzz than a St. Louis series which could easily get cast as two poor rust belt cities looking for respect.

Besides, wouldn't it be sweet to take out both NY teams?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 576
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitching wins in the playoffs, and neither STL nor NYM can match Detroit's pitching.

For national exposure, the Mets would be the better match up.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF you wanna factor in cultural impact as Lowell suggests, I'd actually take the Cards over the Mets. Those Cards fans are wonderful. It is a treat to watch fans who don't have to be continuously entertained by shiny flashing objects throughout a baseball game. Fans who project a commonsense pleasure for the game. For example, there was a nice period in yesterdays game (before NY blew it away where) there was a nice extended crowd lull, it was kinda relaxing and plesant for a change esp compared to the high intensty NFL/WWF atmosphere of Shea stadium. It kinda reminded me of the oldtime Tiger crowds, good fundamental baseball fans. StL crowds may be the last bastion of this deep public apreciation of the sport, I'd like to see as much of it as possible while it lasts.

But that is just quibbling, from a baseball pov, I see no sig advantage of DET facing one team over the other (with a _SLIGHT_ edge given to StL).

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Mets make the Series, I get to clown my fiance ....all ... over ... again when the Tigers beat that ass. I'm pulling for the Mets

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can provide your feedback to Fox Sports on their web site - http://msn.foxsports.com/feedb ack.

I just did, because I thought the handling of the 2 Tigers' Series was pretty bad.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares what the national media thinks. These games are for the FANS, not for Madison Avenue advertisers or Manhattan journalists.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you? A retard? I was 16 when the tigers won in '68. Of course the MSM will push the NYC angle. Do you think if a Tigers pitcher flew a plane into a building there would be any coverage? Maybe, something about the carbon fiber burning being a global warming threat. Get a grip.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.