Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » Granholm now has a 10-point lead over Devos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latest polls show Granholm pulling significantly away from Devos. One has an 8 point lead, another has 10 points. With all of the money he's spending, why do you think Michigan is tuning out the negative ads and supporting the governor?

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why do you think Michigan is tuning out the negative ads and supporting the governor?"

For me personally, it's exactly because he started slinging mud so early in the campaign. And he is not doing well in the debates. He looks unprofessional, unprepared, evasive, and well-just plain stupid.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mama-jackson, well said!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think most people understand that there's little any governor could do to reverse the auto industry's decline in an adverse international market. All that can be done is to encourage business diversity in Michigan and Granholm's making sure she's being seen doing that.

DeVos may also be suffering from association (in the public's mind) with GWB. That was recently exploited in an ad that morphed between images of their faces.

Personally, I'm afraid DeVos would treat the public office of governor as a private office. Republicans in particular seem to find it difficult to represent all citizens after being elected. They tend to want to privatize everything and so, once elected, treat their office as private. They feel free to reserve their service for only the citizens who support them. A public office is, by definition, not that.

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't completley trust the polls. There not always accurate. It also depends on where your conducting the polls.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but DeVos will use public office to push and promote his personal religious beliefs. Just look at his comments about intelligent design. No one has a problem with his beliefs, but they need to remain personal, not part of an agenda pushed on our state. He also believes every child should have a Christian education. This is why he was the financial backer on the voucher campaign a couple years ago. He cares nothing about what is best for kids, he just believes every kid needs a Christian education. He is not trying to use his voucher committee to influence a similar vote in Wisconsin. He says it is a dead issue right now, but if elected, he'll bring it back. He'll claim he is spending the "capital" he built up in the election.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Granholm!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10761
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm has ruined Michigan.

Quinn

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes in just 4 short years...what an accomplishment supersquirt! Michigan was SO perfect when she took over, no deficit, no bums, no automotive industry problems...everything was peachy!

Seriously...she's had 4 years to fix what Engler totally f'd. Give her some more time...don't make the mistake of letting a spoiled rich kid with a corn cob for a brain take over as a step, at least in his demented brain, to the presidency!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope she maintains the lead, can't wait for Dick to go back to Grand Rapids and get off my TV.

Quinn

Post Number: 996
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will relish his concession speech. It will mean so much for all of us in Michigan, and alot to the rest of the country that we don't have to speculate about him running for president in 4 or 8 years. We've got enough douchebags in the mix already...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10765
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, as a state currently in the worst economic condition of the 50 states, let's all celebrate 4 more years.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also looking forward to the end of DeVos' robot minions leaving me messages on my answering machine.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish i could figure a way to get DeVos speaking off of my aol account, Not only does his add automatically pop up ( I guess they figured out how to bug people with a Michigan addy) now hes speaking as Im trying to do some online banking..
God the man has money to do anything and he is just bugging the heck out of me more and more,

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.