Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Woodbridge/Retirement Village « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just attended a public meeting concerning the new restaurant/bar that is being proposed for the corner of Merrick and Trumbull. I thought that I would be witnessing a very welcoming and inviting crowd but I received the opposite.

The majority in attendance did seem to support this creation but, a small minority, the closest property owners, those actually present and not habitual crack users - this one crazy ass dude called a guy a bitch and was ready to fight a woman there and he supposedly owns three buildings on Trumbull in between Putman and Merrick - , did voice many concerns. What topped their list?

A LACK OF AVAILABLE PARKING!!!

Not getting rid of the bums that hang out in the derilect buildings on that block, not creating a place where community groups can actually meet, not creating a positive and inviting place developed by one of our neighborhoods' own residents, but the lack of parking.

If parking is your biggest concern you must not be living in the same neighborhood or city as I do.

I live in a residence, that I own, less than a block from this proposed Pub. I can see it from my living room as I type this. My biggest problem with this idea is that it cannot happen fast enough.!

Currently I have, directly across the street from me, a three story abandoned house with OSB on all of the windows. Behind me I have a two story house with the same "style" of windows that has its owner living on the porch. He just hangs out on the porch and has no water, gas, electricity, or functioning windows!!!

AND THE IDEA OF A NEIGHBORHOOD PUB IS BOTHERING THESE PEOPLE!!

In most other "normal" cities this type of problem would be not even seen as a problem. It would be accepted as one of the natural encounters of living in a vibrant, inhabited, and growing urban environment.

Unless the younger generation begins to move down to the city we will never move forward because the majority of the people in Detroit will continue to be made up of the old who are NIMBY's and want to disrupt all forms of progress so they can have their precious parking. I won't even begin to go on about how opinions were voiced concerning the 2am bar crowd being a possible nuisance. Do they realize that we are a few blocks away from Rosa Parks!

I used to live next door to the Circa, what this place hopes to slightly resemble it seems, and never recall in that two year time frame any characters leaving there at 2 am or whenever for that matter being as shady as some of the dudes I see walking down my street or rummaging through my dumpster late at night.

I urge all Woodbridge residents to please attend the next public meeting and let your voice be heard if you can see how much this development would benefit the whole area in a great way.

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting- i had heard about this bar from a previous post but didn't realize that it was on the north end of commonwealth, which, coincidentally, is right near where i just rented an upper!

i promise not to complain in the name of neighborhood cheer. from what i can tell that stretch can use a little extra traffic and if i have to deal with hearing drunken people or car doors slamming so be it. it would seem that parking would be towards the bottom of the list of worries for woodbridge residents since you know what sort of hassles you are getting into before you move in.

but i guess i can experience it firsthand in a couple of weeks...

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, and just curious- what does the retirement village have to do with this? was it mostly seniors complaining about the proposed bar?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 816
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey I live on Forest and am sick of hoofing it to midtown just for a quck brew. When is the next meeting?

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The few unhappy neighbors at the meeting made me sick. Yes, they all happened to be older folks that seemed afraid and offended that anyone suggest change. Insane!!! Half of the folks complaining actually own run down and abandon buildings themselves. This fact was almost brought up at the meeting, but a loud mouth nut ball started screaming and the point never got made. Oh well.... I hope the re-zoning goes through anyway. Woodbridge really needs this place.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Bussey - That neighborhood is just FULL of assholes.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, no one has parking here in Chicago, and we all seem to do just fine parking on the streets.

Chub

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That point was brought up at the meeting Focusonthed. The response from the negative neighbors was "we don't have transit like Chicago" and "I want to be able to park right in front of my house, not down the street".

Bussey

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it really isn't their property it is a CITY STREET so they need to learn to get used to what its like living in a real city.

Chub

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I wanted to say to them, but I thought it be better to just let them vent and not make them more angry.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not intimately familiar with the neighborhood, but I'd be willing to bet the farthest anyone would have to park from their house would be 2 houses down.

Transit has nothing to do with it, even in the neighborhoods in Chicago not served by rail (they have bus, just like Detroit), there is street parking, and that's just how it's done. This is why things never change in Detroit, as Bussey said.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This development is the best new addition to hit that section of the neighborhood since JStones condo was created. Believe me when I say that those old fucking creatures have beat me down in my neighborhood for six long years and as of January lst, I will be ecstatic to be rid of their petty stone throwing. If it were up to that crew, JStones home in Corktown would be in the landfill. I am somehow evil incarnate for saving that beautiful little cottage...in spite of Sheila Cockrel's sister and neighbors advocating its demolition.

My advice is to grow some thicker skin, realize the righteous position you hold, and fuck em, old timers or new timers. Rally your troops and drowned out their tired voices. You know the neighborhood will be better for the effort so drop the righteous indignation and make it happen. It is all part of the process. May the force be with you.

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in two Woodbridge locations and have never had to park more than two houses away. The only trouble I ever had was once every few months the parking police would ticket everyone who parked on Forest overnight.

I welcome a new Woodbridge pub. My wallet, GPA and liver have some reservations though.

Gennifer
Username: Gennifer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know, but the meeting was a real downer, and really made me understand the reason that all the buildings i look at are still abandoned.
hopefully our young detroiter attitudes will trumpf the old fogies.
all we have to do is tell kwame we voted for him and his bling and he'll help us out.
that and i plan to contact mr. cockrell and hopefully he'll be down with the idea... ::crosses fingers::

also the woman who was worried about rezoning because of her "plan" to develop lofts was HI-LAR-IOUS. i'm assuming she's owned it forever and now all of a sudden she wants to develop lofts. hardy har har.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truedat - I always wanted that spot to be something - a bakery, coffee shop, bar, whatever. I think it would really add to that area.

Keith
Username: Keith

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in Woodbridge many years and think this is a terriffic idea. I would love to have a place to have a sandwich and a beer with my friends and neighbors. My only concern about would be the potential for robberies but that would be more for emoployees and is not the issue here. Parking, in my opinion is a non-issue. How many people can that small building hold? There is plenty of street parking on Trumbull.

"hopefully our young detroiter attitudes will trumpf the old fogies.
all we have to do is tell kwame we voted for him and his bling and he'll help us out.
that and i plan to contact mr. cockrell and hopefully he'll be down with the idea... ::crosses fingers:: " - Gennifer

Gennifer, there are some professional obstructionists out there who make no logical sense at all. The issue ain't the issue. Over the years, they typically have been afraid of outsiders coming in and "taking over their neighborhood" and vehemently attempt to block anything that looks like this. I would discourage new Woodbridge residents from adopting the mentality of "it's an us vs the "old fogies" or "we're gonna run the show now". Reach out to your neighbors of all colors, ages, etc. and get to know them. If we become a community of folks who all think alike, sure some of these issues are resolved more expediently but we may lose what has historically made Woodbridge a wonderful place to live and raise kids.

Cheers, .....hey that could be the name
Keith

Bussey

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where everybody knows your name...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10760
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we already have somebody to play Norm.

Chitaku

Post Number: 824
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude I'll be Cliff

Bussey

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I be Woody?

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if I can be Carla.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that Diane was gorgeous. Does she still work there?

Chitaku

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She left and Rebecca came

Cjdb16

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to be Rebecca but I couldn't remember her name. So much for "everybody knows your..."

Seriously... did anyone notice how nice the field next to the proposed bar looks? I sent emails to Wayne State alumni affairs and athletics department asking them to clean it up for the homecoming game. My husband and I are both alums and had family come over for the game, we didn't want them walking through the knee high weeds we walk through, so I thought I would send an email to see if I could get WSU to take care of it, they did. Yea! the guys who moved into the little grey building next to the feild were taking care of it this summer but got too busy redoing their roof and putting in sunlights... Bussey, you gotta notice the good things that are happening if your gonna notice the bad things that seem to stay the same.
Peace

Gennifer
Username: Gennifer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i'm thinking the woodbridge bar peoples need to get in touch with some top dogs at WSU regarding the bar. even if its as simple as finding professors that live in midtown/woodbridge to come to the public meetings to support the idea.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A related article:

Bar coming to Woodbridge? Check the red tape
http://thesouthend.typepad.com /tsenews/2006/10/bar_coming_to _w.html

Focusonthed

Post Number: 538
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so you guys know, it's like this everywhere.

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune yesterday about the park district building a fence around a park in the South Loop which is used by schoolchildren. The people in the neighborhood vehemently opposed the fence, for reasons including:
1. It would make it difficult for their dogs to access the park.
2. The fence could rust someday.
3. The schoolchildren would damage the soil (what this has to do with a fence, I have no idea)
4. It would make the neighborhood look like a prison (yet most of the surrounding homes already have fenced their property).

It's ridiculous.

Bussey

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love NIMBY's

Cjdb16

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NIMBY
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
NIMBY (an initialism for Not In My Back Yard) is an acronym for the phenomenon in which residents oppose a development as inappropriate for their local area, but by implication do not oppose such development in another's.

NIMBY and its derivative terms NIMBYism, NIMBYs, and NIMBYists, refer implicitly to debates, of development generally or a specific case, and as such their use is inherently contentious. Also, it is a relatively recent term, the first printed usage of which the Oxford English Dictionary identifies as being in 1980 in the Christian Science Monitor, and the nuances of which are still disputed. The term is usually applied to opponents by advocates of a development, implying that those opposing the debated development, or at least their viewpoint in such regards, is narrow, selfish, myopic, or otherwise limited. As such, its use is pejorative.

Bussey

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was being sarcastic...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.