Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What's the Story with these Detroit Sites? - 3 » What's the Story with these Detroit Sites? - 2 « Previous Next »
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the story with these sites?

1 - 2600 W. Fort - Date on building says 1897.
2600 W. Fort

2 - Overgrown but fenced in, this beauty, the former 2nd Precinct Police Station, had all the weeds removed when I passed by today and appeared to be getting cleaned up. Re-use occurring?
2nd Precinct Police Station - Detroit

3 - Infill Housing in Southwest Detroit. Comments?
Infill Housing in Southwest Detroit

4 - New Construction in Mexicantown, on Vernor across from the Matrix Theater. What's Up?
New Construction in Mexicantown

5 - Elegant Ruin running along an alleyway between Lawton and Genessee a half block south of Chicago and Old Shaarey Zedek Synagogue. Any knowledge?
Ruin running along an alleyway between Lawton and Genessee a half block south of Chicago and Old Shaarey Zedek Synagogue.

6 - Finally, who is Giovanni? From near City Airport.
who is Giovanni

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The 1921 Sanborn map shows a three story brick building labeled as the Steam Laundry Bldg 2608 W Fort St, that was part of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd Girls Reformatory. This covered the entire block from Fort to Lafayette, between 18th and 19th Streets.

It will take a little more digging to figure it out. Also shown on the grounds is the Magdelene Bldg separate from the Juvenile and School ones. Hmm.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK now while we are on the subject, there is a buidling currently going uoder restoration on Ciccotte and Michigan Avenue. At first i thought they were prepping for demo, but had a weorker tell me it was a rehad. It was. They have taken down the terracotta ornamentation and cleaned and work is occuring on a daily. The building in question is called "The Galston" or "Glaston". Does anyone hae any knowledge about this project?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin' the Galston is the fifth picture down on https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/24786.html.

I noticed work going on there to when I last passed it last month.

It never made it into my fabulous apartment ruins tour because it always managed to stay occupied. Hopefully it will be restored, it is a beauty.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh it is definatelty being rehabbed that was confirmed when I walked by it a couple weeks ago. The terra cotta looks way nice, almost as of it was just placed recently.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4568
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, number 4 is the new Michigan Welcome Center, or the Marcado, I can't remember which one.

Herbpowell
Username: Herbpowell

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3. Bagley housing is responsible for the turn around in the St. Annes neighborhood. Great job, great people and they are starting to work on the other side of I-75. Bagley Site

4. Is the Mexican Welcome Center and Mercado, and it's actually on Bagley. Been in the works for awhile now and will be a great addition to a flourishing area. Welcome center site

(Message edited by herbpowell on October 17, 2006)

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 746
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Avenue building in question is being rehabbed by Southwest Housing, the organization responsible for the rehab of numerous apt buildings on the Grand Blvd, Vernor, etc. They have become experts at combining Low Income Tax Credits and Historic Tax Credits to make difficult projects work. Kudos to the folks at Southwest Housing.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5901
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for #1, I covered it in April.

All the answers are here:

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=124

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT'S where I saw that covered before. I knew I recognized it. Thanks Andrew.

Aiw

Post Number: 5903
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look at Lowell's photo above, and mine in the link from April, alot of boards covering the windows have fallen out/been removed.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3123
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks AIW, I knew I saw a reference in here but couldn't remember where. As noted, it appears that the building in No. 1 above was a steam laundry where, I would guess, the reforming girls worked.

Following the responses to AIW IM.com reference I found this [shared here]:

quote:

In the late 1800s, the rapid growth of industrialization and urbanization in Detroit, Michigan was accompanied by an increase in population, increase in poverty and an increased number of children, who were orphaned and destitute. Hearing of the Sisters' devotion to helping children, Bishop Caspar Henry Borgess contacted the St. Louis Province of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd and appealed to them to help in Detroit.

In the fall of 1883, five Sisters arrived in Detroit and moved into their selected site, the former Beer Brock Ward Mansion on Fort Street near St. Anne's Church. They renamed the mansion the "House of the Good Shepherd.¨ The first girl to request the Sisters' care was "Josephine? who arrived on their doorstep the day after they moved in.

The number of women and girls that sought the Sisters' help was so great during the early days in Detroit that it was soon necessary to build several residential buildings, a convent, a power house and laundry facilities. By the turn of the century, 33 Sisters were caring for more than 200 young women on the premises.

Throughout the next 30 years, the House of the Good Shepherd continued to expand its services and children served. By the late 1930s, it became evident that the Fort Street property was not large enough to accommodate all of the young women who requested the Sisters' help. Fortunately, Archbishop Edward Mooney pleaded the need for new buildings to the City of Detroit on behalf of the Sisters.

Soon thereafter, the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, together with the Salvation Army, organized a joint fund-raising campaign called the "Open Your Heart Fund" and successfully raised enough money to construct the new buildings. However, the Sisters needed a site on which to build.

Henry and Clara B. Ford heard of the Sisters' predicament and offered a very generous gift of 50 acres of land on West Warren Avenue across from Rouge Park. The Sisters purchased the property from Mr. and Mrs. Ford for One Dollar and immediately began taking steps to construct the residential buildings, a school, a power house and an auditorium/gymnasium. The first shovelful of earth was turned on August 5, 1941.

On December 8, 1942, the first Mass was celebrated in the chapel on the new site in Dearborn Heights. The House of the Good Shepherd was officially reopened with a new name, Vista Maria.

From 1942 to the mid-1970s, the Sisters assisted thousands of young women with various and several problems. Throughout those years, the girls lived in an environment similar to today's Vision Program. They attended school, participated in activities (both on campus and in the community) and attended religious services.

In the early 1970s, laypersons assumed a greater role in the Agency's activities and eventually were added to the Board of Directors. Throughout those years, renovation projects were completed on both the interiors and exteriors of the residential halls.

The year of 1976 was a time of crisis for Vista Maria due to severely low enrollment. It was during this period that the Sisters began to implement changes in the programs and services offered by the Agency to better meet the needs of the community. These changes resulted in the development of the three distinct residential treatment programs:

VIP (Vista's Interim Placement): Emergency shelter for abused and neglected girls.

Vista: Short-term residential program that prepares girls for independent living and/or foster care.

VITA: Residential program for girls with moderate maladaptive behaviors.

The 1980s and 1990s were years of continued growth and change for the Agency and several additional programs were added. Today, our mission is to provide abused and neglected girls with the emotional, educational, psychological and spiritual guidance they need in order to become productive, contributing members of society. We have a variety of programs that suit a variety of needs.

Address:
20651 W. Warren
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127

Web Site: http://www.vistamaria.org

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, a Giovanni's Pizza place must of been by the Airport, its logical

Airport=Restaurants.

Like Metro Airport and all their restaurants

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,
Where exactly is Giovanni's?

Aiw

Post Number: 5906
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's on Edwin...

** EDIT ** Just looked at a map.

Erwin, near Grinnell St. if I remember correctly.

(Message edited by aiw on October 17, 2006)

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. 5 is a pair of garages that serviced the now sadly gone luxury apartment buildings on Chicago Boulevard. My sense is that you "kept" your car in one of the garages; when you wanted to go for a spin, you would call the garage, and they would drive it to the garage entry (or perhaps to your apartment door?) fully gassed, its oil checked, its tires inflated, and washed, of course.

The garage on the right in the photo had the most romantic of doors - I have a photo somewhere.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#3 Just one of many new housing developments in this area. Even today they have just marked an area for at least 10 more new houses

Also some higher priced housing is also in the development stage for the area. I recently learned this from the developer of the St Annes Gate project.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3141
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch, thanks for the info on No. 5. It makes complete sense as nearby Boston and Chicago were once lined with luxury apartments. Only about five or six remain occupied.

AIW, you are correct. The Giovanni limestone carving is on a building at that location.

Any more info on DPD precinct 2 station?

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pic No. 2 looks like the Fort/Green Station. I could be wrong, but I saw that tiny white building in the very left of the pic, which looks like Mott's, and the I-75 freeway is right behind the station. Am I right? If so, I lived right across the Frwy from it on W. Lafayette and the station was still in operation when I left in May 1988.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Savannahsmiles and welcome to the forum. You are correct it is Fort and Green. Do you know what is happening with it?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding number 6, I just got an out-of-the-blue call from Philip Ricossa, President Giovanni's Appetizing Food Products, Inc. and grandson of the original Giovanni, an Italian immigrant who began his career in the kitchens of the Book Cadillac.

He went on to create as successful business which is still family owned and, since 1949, located in Richmond, MI. History and pictures at: http://www.gioapp.com/HISTORY. html

I particularly enjoyed this "necessity is the mother of invention" story.

quote:

In 1944, Giovanni's antipasto was declared by the U.S. government to be "unessential to the war effort" and they were not permitted to buy glass or cans. In efforts to survive the restrictions of the war years, Giovanni developed his now world-famous pâté.

The web never ceases to amaze.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.