Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Questions about the Broderick Tower Ad... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what ad agency is in charge of the Broderick tower ad?
And how much that space is going for?

That ad space is terrific, even when there is no Tigers game it has tremendous visibility. I am glad Higgins was able to do that, hopefully it makes the renovation of the tower more viable.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that whoever owns the building is ultimately responsible for it, but they may outsource the management of the advertising to a traditional outdoor advertising vendor. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has an idea how much that space costs.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Lieu of the recent Book-Cadillac interest in luxury condos, I wonder if Higgins et al, will decide to increase anemities, and go after the luxury crowd?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wonder if anything will ever actually get built, besides ad space.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when is this rehab supposed to actually start?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's starting to sound a bit suspicious. A renovation of this scale, in one of downtown's most recognizaable buildings should surely draw more attention than this has.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the apparent success of the the BC condo sales, I would think the Broderick Tower with its tremendous vistas and location would be super charged.

Higgins may get the last laugh after all.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i truly hope so

i wouldnt mind having a view of the ball game everynight

assuming i could afford one of the units ...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they put more windows in that side of the building.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the side with ad? they can't that's where the elevator is...most tall office building like that, had the elevator in the center of the building. But because of the shap eof the building that was not feasible, so they had to put it on the side which is why we have the empty wall. Once the building is developed, my guess is that Wyland will be back, he has like an 100 yr lease on it.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Broderick Tower, on Woodward at Grand Circus Park, was awarded a $3.9 million credit. Plans are under way to turn the vacant 35-story Broderick into lofts and retail"

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060816/B IZ/608160392/1001

I seem to hear about this project often. I think it just takes time.

Does anyone have any info about the ad?

(Message edited by dan on October 17, 2006)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8017
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or he just plays the game so the city won't fine him.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

viacom or clear channel i would guess, dont they own about 80% of outdoor ads in the country?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 602
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ad is controlled by a national company that signed a contract with Mr. Higgins. The building ownership receives monthly lease payments. Wyland the artist does not control the space.

Apbest

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone clsoe to the project on a nother forums said something about november as a start date for work

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And on another forum, a copy of a law suit against Higgins was posted. McIntosh Poris is suing them for non payment for work done. They have a lien on the building. The suit was filed last week. Don't expect anything to happen until that lien is cleared.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J. Walter Thompson has the ad on the building between Proof and the State, there is a good chance they have a part of this ad, considering they are local and one of the top firms in the nation.

Kraemerdesigngroup
Username: Kraemerdesigngroup

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All - things are progressing well. Brownfield has passed, historic tax credits have been approved....

The project goes to Bid on Friday for a general contractor.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good to me.

That means that most of the architectural work is already done, is there anything cool to say about the plans?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add some fake windows to that side then. It looks so un-complete. Like something was supposed to be covering that side of the building but was never built or was torn down.

Apbest

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hence the Whale mural

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, fake windows and fake people will be added shortly.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice !!!!

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear things are moving along. What about financing has it closed yet or will close soon?

Apbest

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant speak for Beal or KDG, but I dont think so yet. We probably would have heard about it in some sort of poorly written Detroit news/freep article, or at least Model D

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't complete financing without getting all contracting bids first.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they already have a realistic budget of some kind. Plans were out 2-3 months ago in one of the local plan rooms... I assume for that purpose. KDG would know.

And I don't think you need a final bid to complete financing. Generally the cost for the major items and trades are already understood pretty close to the actual numbers - well, most of the time.

I'm not an expert on the financing side, but I know that generally when we bid a project (unless we know it's a budget bid for a developer or architect, etc.) the general contractor gets selected almost immediately and the project starts. There doesn't seem to be any waiting around for final financing paperwork.

(Message edited by llyn on October 19, 2006)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another observation, they've been working on financing for months. I know they have at least a couple credits in place now (SBT and historic, I think).

I mention this because: (1) they appear to be working on the thing consistently, and (2) they wouldn't spend the money they've spent so far just to avoid a fine.

Regarding that second point, consider what's already gone into this... (1) architectural fees, (2) lawyers fees, and (3) initial development time and expenses. I think it would be cheapter to pay a fine.

Besides, they've already secured the building recently... so what would they be fined for?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.