Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ghost billboards « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

daniel webster
Daniel Webster on Warren Ave.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finsterwald's on Mich (now painted over, hooray for city ordinances)

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the main way of advertisement for the businesses back in the prime of the city of Detroit, before they came up with 40 feet tall billboards and bogus big fat drive-by signs

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Thread I see these all over the city when they show up when a building is dozed. Glad to see others taking interest in them, Ill have to get some pics to include here...

Dtown1

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way Barnes, that may be a pic for a Ben Franklin's store, maybe, just a thought.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is an old realty ad on Gratiot near Seymour: "Detroit's East Side - for your best land value!"

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an old faded Vernors Ginger Ale ad painted on the side of a building at the corner of Dearborn Ave. and Harbough St. on Detroit's SW side in the Delray Neightborhood. It's cool to see, but hard to get a photo of due to a brick wall and tree almost obscuring it. With the coming winter and lack of tree leaves, it might be easier though.

Dtown1

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone else on this site, feel free to post your opinion on a "ghost billboard". I do want people to respond on this thread please.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish we could go back to those and dump most of the nasty signs and billboards around now.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a great ad for some kind of long-gone brand of vodka on the side of a brick building on the east side of Livernois just south of the Lodge. It definitely caught my eye.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That first pic is a cigar ad, not a Ben Franklin store ad btw.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/10/09/look_at_those_signs.ht m

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Busterwmu...I took this photo of the Vernors ad in Delray 2 to 3 years ago:

vernors delray

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like the urban version of the ads painted on the sides of barns for products like Mail Pouch chewing tobacco.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Joy and inkster in westland the business owner repainted a sign just today exactly like the vernors sign above. they tore down some buildings next to it and it was exposed.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the city ordinance regarding painting ads on buildings?

I thought recently there was something stating that no "new" ad spaces could be painted on buildings?

Dtown1

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there an ordinance on that but no ordinance on signs that are just outrageous, like those Auto Parts store sign sings and Fast Food Signs and so forth. Personally, I think they should have a limit to the amount of the bogus, I call them "drive by signs"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.