Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Young's BBQ is closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is closing on Wed. because of slow business. This place is a Detroit carry-out institution. Hands down the best chicken and ribs in the city (Slows ain't even close.) May I suggest taking your white selves down to I-94 & Mt.Elliott and giving them some business? They might change their mind. This place is ghetto fabulous and easy to get addicted to...it's that good.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White selves?.....was that necessary, or is it the white suburbanites fault this is closing too?.....I am saying this in jest though.

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young's BBQ has been open for over 30 years at that location. My mother used to eat there. How come they havent made an attempt to move to a denser location instead of staying in that area. I heard they have the best BBQ though. How about you start a advertisement for evryone to get them to come, that will help

Dtown1

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I agree with Kelly, dont stereotype, black people dont go there either to much because of the odd location.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eastside,

I will now make it a point to not take my "white self" downthere and will contiune to go to slows.

Rally your "black selves" to go and save the place.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Slow's is the white man's BBQ

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So Slow's is the white man's BBQ

Actually, I think that would be Red Hot & Blue

Username: 3420

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SAY IT AIN"T SO! :-( I really hope they don't close. When I come home for Thanksigiving in November, thats the first place I was going to stop at. I got to call some people in the neighborhood as well as family to let them know. This is my favorite place to get my carry-out at in the neigborhood.

I was having a good day today until I saw this. This is truly sad.They got to stay open.I'm about to call up there and try to convince them to stay open and even donate whatever I can to them.

But what I don't get is that my brother told me a few days ago that the place was crowded and the best time to go was in the morning. This can't be true. But if I come home in a few weeks and they are closed, I'm going to be hurt. I was just thinking about all the sauce they pour all over your ribs and chicken and how the bread just lays in the sauce. They are the only BBQ joint where you just want the sauce and about four pieces of wheat bread and eat it like that. Get the word out Detroit, we need them to stay in business.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing changes in Detroit....

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the I-94 & Mt.Elliott one closing or is there another one? I have always known of the one on Mt. Elliott across from Legends Coney Island.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10759
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our "white selves" prefer "cool/hip" places. :-)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

word to that my Brotha. Slows is the shizzle fa snizzle

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they should do is move to Chene next to Dan & Vi's. You have Cadillac Coney Island, the deli place inside of BP that opened this past summer, and Shirley's over there by the incenerator. With all those school kids, city workers, neigborhood residents, postal workers, and people from the nursing home on the blvd, they can make more money on that end.

To show that they can increase profit is to go to Cadillac Coney Island and Dan & Vi's on Chene between 11am-4pm, business is good.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, I am very sorry to see that. I will try to go one last time.

Eastside

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So Slow's is the white man's BBQ"

Hey, Slows is OK, but with that extensive menu, yet no collard greens?...how shall I say..."go figure."

As for the "white selves" comment....yea I was shooting from the hip a lttle, talking out my ass a little. Is that not a prerequisite to post here? That you must talk out of your ass 70% of the time to seem relevent? I read postings every day, and I just assumed that was the rule.

I hear you, "white folks" like cool/hip places. Thats cool...but show me a white cool/hip place and I will show you a place full of pretense. Thus the term "white and uptight." lol

Hey 3420, you sound down on the ground. Call Jesse at Mt. Elliott after 6 tonight, he will tell you the deal.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I didnt get the memo...I'm white, and I enjoy that place.

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside.

Youngs did hit the spot from time to time for
that "sloppy, down home, thang".
But in my humble opinion, SLOWS nails it.
Hands down, the best BBQ around.

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh....
about collard greans?
It ain't soul food, it's BBQ.
they's different.
go figure.

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I will Eastside. I just e-mailed the Detroit News and trying to see how I can get in contact with WDIV. I may be far away from home right now, but this is a neighborhood icon. Everyone here and people all over the city, show your support. This is Detroit and we have to save everything that defines this city. Be it the automobile, the music, or Young's BBQ. Save this place, it is indeed worth it.

I never had Slows BBQ, but to me Youngs is the best just like Hong Moy on Harper has the best chinese food in the city. See, when its cold on the eastside, around late November early December, walk up the blvd and you can smell that Youngs BBQ. Its the most refreshing smell of BBQ I ever had. If they can just put that in an air freshner fragrance, I would spray it in my apt....lol.

But get out and support them. I will be mad if I can't have no Young's when I get home.

SAVE YOUNG"S BBQ

Eastside

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over at Milt's (7 mile & Kelly) Mustard Greens, Mac & Cheese and Pinto beans and rice...Slows can't hold a candle nor light a match. I was in Harlem this summer...ate at all the digs, met Sylvia herself at her joint on 125th.
Slows is good, in fact pretty darn good. They have gourmet chefs cooking the food...thus you can get that kind of soul food at the Motor City Buffet, but with less skimpy portions.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mrfrench is right, Slows BBQ has never claimed to be soul food. By the way, try the Mary Ann some time - pickles + chedder. It's the most heavenly sandwich I've ever had.
Sad to hear Young's couldn't adjust to make it work.
PS. Kind of off the subject, but is anyone else amazed Sign Of the Beef Carver's still exist?

Eastside

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Slows serves soul food, I just assumed they fashioned themselves a soul food joint. I have always viewed that joint as a trendy place that serves decent gourmet BBQ.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign of the Beef Carver....I'm surprised that most of their customers haven't died off.

Nobody under the age of 55 eats there.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my Grandma picking me up from elementary school and taking me for some of that thinly sliced beef, Jello, and pecan pie. I remember, liking the fact that it was set up cafeteria style. I have no idea why now. The place smelled like a nursing home.

(Message edited by chub on October 17, 2006)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer the Jewish soul food of The Bread Basket on Greenfield in Oak Park.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 822
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sign of the Beef Carver....I'm surprised that most of their customers haven't died off.

Nobody under the age of 55 eats there."

Sign of the Beef Carver is one of my favs, Mot allof them closed except the one on Woodward in Berkely. Since m'ladys parents live right by it we go sometimes.Drooling just thinking about the stuffed chicken

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks Eastside,

I will now make it a point to not take my "white self" down there and will contiune to go to slows.

Oh, for pete's sake. Are you that sensitive? Eastside's just telling it like it is, trying to help out a place with a mostly black clientele get some new customers.

I do love Slow's, though. They're mostly not soul food, but they do have that mac & cheese which comes out in a little dish with the cheese still bubblin'... mmmm.

Dtown1

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected, my mother never liked Young's because their BBQ sauce tasted like VInegar, but I hope I don't affect any decision, this was years, I mean years ago

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3420 -- Thanks for the tip on Hong Moy, I'll have to check it out. There is a lot of bad Chinese food in the city, so I'm always on the lookout for something decent.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Sign of the Beef Carver, a great place to meet much older women.. (opening line: Excuse me Honey, but I've taken more mashed potatoes and lime jello than I can really eat, and was wondering if you wanted some!")
I liked Green's but it's already gone.
I don't know how anyone could possibly call Slow's "uptight",
besides, unlike Young's they have an amazing selection of dark beers, and most importantly, they are a five minute walk from my house... nuff said.

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a reply back from the Detroit News on Young's BBQ. Here is the e-mail I got from one of the editiors:

I'm very sorry to learn about Young's closing; it definitely was an instititution on the
east side. I will pass along this information to our restaurant critic Molly Abraham and perhaps she can report this in her next restaurant
column.

I hope this establishment can stay open with the support of this city residents.Yall just don't know. I am going to try Slow's when I get back to see if they are any good but Young's will always be #1.

But it doesn't have to stop here. We can all pitch in to give small businesses in Detroit a boost and show them we care about there businesses. I do all my shopping from downtown to new center, down gratiot to grand river and all over the city to keep Detroit moving.

By me becoming an entrepreneur in the near future, its small businesses like Young's who really put a special place in your heart.

Dougw
Yes, Hong Moy on Harper is indeed if not the best chinese restaurant in Detroit. They give you so much for a low price. I recommend the Sweet n Sour chicken or the Pepper Steak with an egg roll and shrimp fried rice. All of there slections are excellent, but those two specials stand out. Try it and tell me what you think.

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown, Young's BBQ is different from years ago. My granny told me there use to be some chinese man I think who owned it at first I believe(not sure). But they do give you a ton of sauce. When I was there before I left, I asked the girl not to put so much sauce, but she didn't listen. That day I bought my mother, brother, and myself rib sandwhiches and they were excellent.

I noticed they had start selling icecream too. But the one thing that will stand out is when you come in, you will see pictures and lil stories on the person on the wall. The likes of Malcolm X, Marvin Gaye, and M.L.K. to name a few pictures were on the wall.

I just told my brother to buy me some food tomorrow and freeze it until I get home. I can smell it now.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick,

When was the last time u went to the bread basket in Oak Park?

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a menu or phone number for Young's, I might have to get me a carryout for dinner tonight?

And where exactly is Hong Moy on Harper? Phone Number?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sign of the Beef Carver....I'm surprised that most of their customers haven't died off.

Nobody under the age of 55 eats there."

I'm 24 and my friends and I eat there. Yea we are the minority age-wise but not the only ones.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hong Moy is on Harper, just 3 blocks west of Van Dyke.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We can all pitch in to give small businesses in Detroit a boost and show them we care about there businesses

By moving out of town?

quote:

I do all my shopping from downtown to new center, down gratiot to grand river and all over the city to keep Detroit moving.

When you come home for Thanksgiving?

Man, I am shocked with all that support that any businesses ever close.

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch

Don't know if you are being sarcastic with your remarks. But the only reason why I am not in Detroit because I am a college student. I graduate in May and will be back in Detroit afterwards and convinced some people to come to Detroit with me after graduation to see what it is like. I'm still a resident and have to pay an out of state fee to while I am down here. But I will be home for thanksgiving because I go to school down here in Mississippi and can't come home often.

But otherwise, when I am home all summer and home for a month during the christmas holiday I shop within the city. My minor is entrepreneurship and my professors constantly talks about supporting small businesses and that is the attitude I have and that is what I do.Just because I am not there doesn't mean I don't support businesses while I am still down here.

With Young's closing, at least I made the effort to get in contact with the Detroit News and City Council to ask for there support. If you read above there is an e-mail stating what they will do. I know the people at Young's as well as many other great establishments in my area where I support them.

I come from a background where giving back and helping others was put into my heart at a young age. So if you trying to criticizeme for not being there because I am not there in the physical to support a business, at least I'm doing it in the spirtual and in heart to see one of my favorite restaurants stay open for business.

Now, Hong Moy is located at 7415 Harper Ave. (313)922-2690 and Young's BBQ at 5844 Mt. Elliott (313)922-1230

Dabirch

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3420 -

I was being sarcastic, and can admit when I am wrong.

Sorry for miscasting you.

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accepted Dabirch.

I'm just a big supporter of Detroit

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do I detect a common bit of wisdom on this thread?
Do I hear "Buy local, shop your block, support small businesses in your neighborhood and in your city?"
I think that I do.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tell me more about this hong moy place, the food is good? are they open past 9 p.m.?

any "specialties"?

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me just give you the run down on Hong Moy.

One of there best qualities is that there food is piping hot. You probably got to wait about 10 minutes before you start eating. They are located next to what use to be the UBQ? dance club, but now its just them on that coner on Harper due to UBQ burning down.

But some of my favorite dishes are the almond chicken, pepper steak, sweet n sour chicken, the shrimp fried rice and they have the best eggs rolls you will ever taste with this sauce they give you that will make you just bite into the egg roll, and pour it all in and eat it.

They do give you alot of food for reasonable prices. The average wait time is around 5-7 minutes at the most depending on the size of your order. The address above is listed and give it a try. Also, I tried the chinese restaurant near food pride called Royal I believe by the DMC and the one next to Sav-mart on the blvd and gratiot and Hong Moy wins hands down.

Now if you into some down home cooking, there is a place on Dubois I belive(don't know for sure). But its a woman name Shirley who does fish dinners, sandwhiches and other special items for your taste buds.Then go try some good deli food at Dan & Vi's on Chene across from the BP and just over the freeway from the GM-Hamtramck assembly plant.

I have been going there for years to get a quick snack and they food are made by them and not store bought and then cooked up like some deli places in the city do. There are a lot of hidden gem places around Detroit that alot of people don't know about. But I am going to try slows BBQ since I keep hearing about it.

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy

Yes they are open past 9pm. They close around 10 or 11pm I believe and later on the weekends.

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, A reporter for the Detnews just e-mailed and asked me for some info on Young's BBQ. Here is the e-mail:

My name is Jennifer Youssef. I’m a reporter at the Detroit News and was asked to write a story about Young’s BBQ closing. I went there today (Wednesday) and the place was closed. No one answered the phone either so I’m guessing that no one was there. Do you know who owned the place? Do you have a name and a telephone number so I can call them? I’d also love to talk to you, since you were a customer. Please call me or send me an email with the information if you have it. Thanks so much.

Eastside

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will contact Jennifer.
You know, all is not lost 3420...Parks Old Style at 7444 Beaubien is owned by a cousin of the family. The prices are a bit more, but it's the same sauce and cooked the same...open pit over coals. Slows can't touch that.

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appreciate that Eastside. I heard of Parks before. I thinks its my mother who told me about them. But I'm glad that there is another place I can go too. Now I can eat in peace when I come home. But I am going to miss the one on Mt.Elliott. Besides slow business, is that the only reason they closed.They could of did a every other day or a weekend thing to save money on bills. When I go there, there is 5 to 6 people in front of me when I go.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked right down the street from Young's for a year (just got a new job about 4 months ago). I drove by it in the morning and in the evening every weekday. Not once did it appear to be open. Not a car in the parking lot, no lights on inside, not even an open sign. Basically there were no signs of life as a business at the place at all. My hunch, and I'm pretty good with figuring out what needs improvement with small businesses, is that's probably the reason it closed.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows is in my hood and Youngs is near my job. I had no idea they were closing. We just had Youngs last week and it was packed.

What a great loss to the city.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears Young's has gone the way of the "Famous Bar-B-Q, formaly of Chene Street, torn down to make way for GM's Poletown plant.

On a side note, I remember reading that Carl Fisher, owner of Famous B-B-Q died a few years back. Anyone else know if thats true?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the same thing I was wondering. My brother said the place was packed too. I'm so hungry right now for some Young's

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good riddance,go to Uptown BBQ on Livernois and the lodge.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a person who was born and raised in the South, I find the BBQ in Detroit to be sub-par. I called Youngs this afternoon and the person who answered the phone said they were closed for remodeling.

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By me being in the south here for school for the last 4 years now, I can tell you first hand that the BBQ isn't all that.My father is from down here in the delta and his family is aight when it comes to cooking BBQ.A lot of originality when comes to cooking BBQ and food in general though.

I have had BBQ from Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Biloxi,Jackson, and Gulport and it was ok. I just don't get why people from the south claim to be the best BBQ cookers on the planet.I rmemeber when these to guys got into it because my boy said Memphis has the best BBQ and the other said Chicago did.

Some are good down here but they take it over the hill sometimes. My roots are in the south, but my best experiences with BBQ have come from people up North. I go to Chicago every year to visit friends and they introduced me to Carson's BBQ and it was good. Carson's and Young's are neck & neck as far as taste to me.

But they are closed for remodeling which is interesting. I thought they would be closing for sure.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just don't get why people from the south claim to be the best BBQ cookers on the planet.

Actually we are BBQ Chefs.

Where did you eat BBQ in Jackson? I was there this Summer and had the BBQ wings from E&L BBQ. They were pretty good.

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had most of the BBQ I have eaten in Jackson from people I know. I heard of E&L from some people on campus but never had a taste yet. There is this BBQ joint I believe that is down the street from the campus I always wanted to checkout. But I will look into E&L though.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, "closed for remodeling" in the restaurant business can mean the same thing as "stepping down to spend more time with family" for those in government.

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats exactly what that means and I already know it. I rememeber when this German or Polish woman owned the McDougall Bakery and the same for the busineeses on Chene years back. They would put those signs up or say they remodeling or on vaction. We all saw the picture and knew it was the end.

But I'm not too out luck. My brother called me to tell me he went to Parks and that its the same as Young's. So when I come home, now I can get me some BBQ and go downtown too see the lighting of the tree.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was never a great fan of Youngs. I guess maybe because I don't eat alot of hot sauce. Angels on Jefferson and St Jean is my new favorite Rib Joint.

Dtown1

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now yall want to talk bout white selves, I seen a white couple walk into Angels BBQ one night when me and my mom went over there to shop and get some chinese food.

They cook a lot of their foods on the outdoor charcoal grill sometimes. They were doing so when we were over there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.