Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » Granholm hates smokers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10764
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody else hear Granholm state last night that if the papers came across her desk to ban smoking in all public places, she would sign it? What do the smokers think about this?

DeVos on the other hand stated prior to Granholm's support of such a bill, that he would not support such a measure. He would allow the people to decide from themselves.

I know the smokers I've talked to get all pissy every time a smoking ban gets brought up, so I wonder what their opinion on this is.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only a manner of time. We will probably be the last state in the union to pass a smoking ban. Also expect more and more companies to charge smokers more for health insurance. You can argue that smokers have rights, but they only go so far until they infringe on the rights of non-smokers. Also it is not fair to people who don't smoke to have to pay for the extra health-care of the morons who chose to smoke those cancer sticks. They have right to smoke them, but I should not have to pay for it.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8019
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/10097162/detail.html

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Grand Rapids city commissioners have voted to ban smoking in public spaces and private work sites.

Smoking also won't be allowed within 10 feet of building doors, windows or ventilation ducts

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you beat me to it Jt1

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/s tory.asp?S=5548878&nav=menu44_ 2

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 997
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder what Amway's corporate policy is toward smoking?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wonder what Amway's corporate policy is toward smoking?

Why does that matter?

The UAW supports Smoking(as a workplace right) in the workplace and Granholm.

quote:

Also it is not fair to people who don't smoke to have to pay for the extra health-care of the morons who chose to smoke those cancer sticks. They have right to smoke them, but I should not have to pay for it.

While we are lets have seperate insurance policies for each race, since each race has different diseases. Gays, Straight, motorcycle riders, police officers, women, men, etc,etc. That line is nothing but a BS excuse for the insurance companies to justify charges and more people buy it every day hook line and sinker.

(Message edited by _sj_ on October 17, 2006)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC smoking is already banned in Wayne County workplaces.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It won't apply to bars, restaurants or hotels. "

Those are the main places I want it to apply.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also it is not fair to people who don't smoke to have to pay for the extra health-care of the morons who chose to smoke those cancer sticks. They have right to smoke them, but I should not have to pay for it.

Same argument can be said for obese people who eat half their body weight every day (as bad a habit as smoking), and for people who drink too much alcohol/coffee/soda, etc, etc. Next, they'll target people who don't exercise or drink enough water every day, where do you stop? Or do you only target smokers? Sounds unfair. So I agree, lame excuse.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Amway smoking is required.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a smoker and I'm used to people hating me. The fact that Jenny hates my puffing doesn't make me hate her. I'm used to it. I've also lived in three other cities with smoking bans: New York, Seattle and Columbus, Ohio. I have no problem going outside to puff while at a bar. Granted, during the winter it's cold. But I smoked less when I went out and didn't come home smelling like ass every night.
I wouldn't go out of my way to oppose one and certainly wouldn't vote for DeVos just cuz Jenny's talking about it. My biggest beef with it is as a property-rights issue.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.