Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Bagley Street and the Michigan Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Detroit 'discoveries' continued this past weekend when we had another chance to visit Detroit. We were in town for a wedding. I made a deal that I would drive to the airport at 5am on Saturday morning to pick up a niece coming in on a redeye flight from California only if I could also drive through downtown and take a couple of photos that I had missed on my last visit.

We actually had to stall a bit to wait for the sun to come up so that there was enough light. I had miss-identified a building on a visit several months ago and thought it was on Michigan Ave. rather than it being the Michigan Building on Bagley. So, that was the destination. My niece and nephew in-law (grown) had visited Detroit several times but never been downtown.

It was interesting hearing their first comments..."Wow! Look at that architecture...my gosh, look at all these buildings boarded up and abandoned! It's like a science fiction movie." My first reaction had been the same on my first visit. As we took the first photos and started driving, they kept wanting to see more and we did the Woodward Ave - Highland Park - Boston Edison - New Center Loop. Correctly found Henry Ford's old home this time. Stopped by the Fisher Building and we got to go inside and once again I heard them say, "Wow." Did all this in about 45 minutes since there was very light traffic that early in the morning.

Being in Detroit this past weekend with the excitement of the Tigers was a lot of fun. We drove down Woodward and could see the park and made us feel like part of the action.

The biggest surprise for me occurred at the Michigan Building. I wanted a photo of the building because that is where George Goodheart discovered Applied Kinesiology. As I approached the building, I noticed a historical marker. Amazingly, it said that Henry Ford had first begun experimenting with motorized vehicles in a one-story building that was on the site where the Michigan Building now stands. I had seen the Piquette Factory and the Highland Park Factory and now I had stumbled across some even earlier Ford history. I Googled 'Ford and Bagley Street' and found out that Ford built his first motorized vehicle in a rented garage down the street at 58 Bagley St. Funny story was that it was too big to get out the door and he had to use an axe to make the opening large enough.

So, I got to add a missing photo and learned a whole bunch more history at the same time.

Here's the link...http://www.lasersol.com/heartl and_5.html#michigan_building

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 4527
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peach, the earlier Ford building referred to here was moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, they tell that story when you visit there.

It's been posted elsewhere, but it never ceases to amaze when one learns that during 2 periods (1920's and 1940's) Detroit was the wealthiest city on the planet. Some of the magnificent architecture you've seen are products of those eras.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Peach, the earlier Ford building referred to here was moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn<

Thanks Karl. I have added a couple of links to the Greenfield Village site related to Bagley Ave,

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a typo on that page. It says that Applied Kinesiology is "used by professional healthcare professionals around the world."

The consensus in the scientific community is that AK is bunk. All of George Goodheart's empirical claims have been proven to be false when scientifically tested under controlled conditions.

http://www.randi.org/encyclope dia/applied%20kinesiology.html

Peachlaser

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick - Not you again!

If it is bunk, why do so many healthcare professionals use it?

You never answered my earlier question...Is Randi an Atheist?

And...if someone can scientifically prove the existence of God, does Randi pay them the $1 million. I never got your reply.

How about the String Theory...does that also qualify? A lot of the brightest minds are studying this theory while some scientists say it is bunk.

Please pull your head out of the sand. Skepticism is one thing, but a closed mind prevents a lot of discovery.

A national Neuroscience Association is currently meeting in Atlanta at their national convention. Had lunch with someone yesterday that is working on a scientific project studying the brain at a respected school in California. After hearing what their research is studying, I realized that there is something similar in 'Energy Kinesiology' and I demonstrated it in about 30 seconds. Found some 'problems' in a quick assessment and then corrected them in another 30 seconds. Yeah, it's bunk for sure!

I suggested that this person demonstrate this to the chief neuroscientist and get his explanation of what was going on? I really, really would like to hear the answer. She said that she was afraid to show him what I did and would not ask him! Ah, the advancement of science and knowledge creeps along.

I chose to work work with microprocessors over 25 years ago and the mainframe guys ridiculed me for wanting to work with "those toys". My wife and I have used Touch for Health since 1976 and have often offered to help people and they say, "That's OK, I'll let time and pills heal me." I started working in desktop publishing in 1985 at the very beginning and people used to laugh at me because they said that DTP could never to do any serious publishing. I worked with the first digital scanners and digital cameras and people used to laugh at me and say, "Digital is never going to equal film!" So, I hear the same thing about energy kinesiology. Countries such as Switzerland, Germany, England, Australia, New Zealand and The Netherlands are far ahead of us in understanding the benefits and blending it into their accepted healthcare practices.

But, Detroit has fallen behind the world in many ways over the years. With Detroit's new revival, I was hoping to find more tolerant viewpoints this time around, especially since Detroit is the birthplace of AK.

Your attitude saddens me but does not surprise me. I accept that AK is controversial and pushes the envelope, but never will I accept that it is bunk. I have personally seen many amazing things happen to people. With what we do in TFH, we do not diagnose or treat disease. But there is a whole lot of pain and discomfort in between good health and disease. Hopefully, with what we do, it will help prevent conditions from becoming serious. In Touch for Health (the layperson's version of AK) we leave the serious conditions and disease diagnosis/treatment to the professionals...the heroic practitioners. But, I have seen TFH work many times when other things did not.

Psewick

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never received your email, if you sent me one. My email address is: five_khandhas at yahoo dot com.

Yes, Randi is an Atheist. And my offer to help you with a preliminary test to qualify for his million dollar prize still stands.

If you know of any studies on AK published in any peer-reviewed scientific journals (The Lancet, JAMA, etc.) that have promising results, let me know when they were published. I am eager to read them.

I have no intention of holding an un-scientific opinion, and I do change my views based on the best evidence. You, on the other hand, have said, "never will I accept that it is bunk".

My email again: five_khandhas at yahoo dot com. Let's design a test for Randi's prize.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick - there are four studies that I am aware and they have provided evidence that the basics that AK are based upon (muscle monitoring/testing) is a valid means of determining the state of a muscle.

(1989) - Somatosensory Evoked Potential Changes During Muscle Testing
(1991) - Objective Measurement of Proprioceptive Technique Consequences…
(1995) - Electromyographic Effects of Fatigue and Task Repetition on the Validity of Estimates of Strong and Weak Muscles
(1997) - Interexaminer Agreement for Applied Kinesiology

Measurements have shown that there is a difference in nerve energy between inhibited and facilitated muscles. Studies have also shown that there is a measurable difference between a fatigued muscle versus an inhibited muscle. One other study has shown that there is a consistency of measurement of a facilitated and inhibited muscle between a group of experienced practitioners.

The Natural Standard out of Cambridge lists these studies, I believe. I know of four studies that support AK and the one study with Wasp Venom that does not support AK.

Psewick, I was in Detroit last weekend. It was a short notice situation. If I had a little more time I wanted to arrange a demonstration in Detroit and ask you to attend so that you could assist in designing a study. I have spent the last five years designing and programming a tool that can be used to prove the validity of these techniques. So, after spending all these years programming, I can use a million dollars right now.

You speak of differences in the appreciation of science. I know the techniques work and know that there will be scientific evidence that EVENTUALLY will explain why and how these techniques work. Some, such as the Proprioceptive functions are already known in neuroscience, but they haven't been used in the way that we use them.

By the way, the Natural Standard provides data to the National Institues of Health and they have 400 researchers providing formal scientific study.

I worked on an Internet-based research project for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, one of the top hospitals in the world conducting scientific research on children's diseases. I used some of the same general techniques used there and I applied them to the research tool that I designed and programmed. We currently have the results of thousands of TFH 'energy balancing' sessions stored in software that I wrote. These results are in over 50 countries. I wrote the Internet-based database to receive these results and wrote the PHP-based middleware to handle the Internet submittals. We are looking for funding to continue this research project. We wish to apply for research grants so that we can conduct these formal scientific studies and have the results published in peer-reviewed journals. That is our goal.

So, Psewick, when you call for the need for scientific research, you are preaching to the choir when you talk with me. I think our difference is that I detect that you want to prove that these techniques do not work and I want to prove that they do work.

I worked very closely with Dr. John Thie and one of his goals before his death was to have a formal scientific research program. He had this goal for 30 years and I am the one person in the world that is working on fulfilling that goal.

When I mentioned the neuroscientist conducting the research in California, I had hope that I might have a chance to interest someone in merging their research with ours. I was disappointed to hear that they were too close-minded to even consider it. They have electrodes implanted into the brains of mice and they are measuring when nerve cells fire whenever the mice look a particular direction. My simple little non-invasive test on my human subject involved me determining that an 'indicator muscle' was facilitated and then having my subject look left, right, up and down. Whenever she looked straight ahead, her 'indicator muscle' remained strong but whenever she looked in any of the other directions, her indicator muscle went weak. What wasn't firing? So, we have a simple technique that we use to reset the optic nerve so that she could look in any direction with the indicator muscle remaining strong. To me, this was a good experiment to approach the neuroscientist and see how it related to his research. To be told that he would not like it and that my subject, who was his research assistant, was afraid to even ask him about it was absolutely unbelievable!

So, here we are with people like you claiming that it is 'bunk' and offering to help set up a study so that you can help disprove it while we are here clamoring for funds to conduct formal research studies to prove the things that we see having positive benefits on a daily basis. It really is a frustrating position.

I would love to work with you Psewick but I really question your objectivity. You seem to be eager to dismiss the whole energy kinesiology field.

I am eager to find the truth. For example, I was at a talk where Quantum Physics were being presented and it was explained how all the atomic sub-particles were detected and photographed. The speaker said that some were so small and elusive and that they 'would only appear if you looked for them' as if to say that by looking for them, it caused them to appear. I presented that statement to a friend that teaches Physics here at Emory Univ. and he said, "Well, we know they exist through formulaes and so we know where to position the cameras to look for them and then we see them when we look for them." So, this clarification helped me clarify a statement before I used it incorrectly.

I am not anti-science as I think that science will eventually be able to explain most of the things that occur in AK. It's just that science is sometimes a slowly-moving blob of molasses on a cold day.

We are in the middle of a health-care crisis in this country, if you haven't noticed. The U.S. National Institutes of Health studies state that the U.S. Healthcare system is the #1 killer of Americans. International studies put our healthcare system as #1 in cost and #17 in quality. We have the boomers retiring and we have healthcare costs rising faster than any other segment of society. Healthcare costs for business are one of the top costs and people are paying more for less. So, we must find safe and economical alternatives. We think that 'energy kinesiology' represents a viable alternative.

Healthcare costs in Detroit and their porportion in the total cost of an automobile is staggering. Detroit needs alternatives. We have a system in the U.S. that is mostly based on drugs, surgery and two minute conversations with doctors. Doctors' abilities to save a life and keep someone breathing after serious accidents and diseases is pretty amazing. But as I said before, there is a whole lot more to healthcare before it reaches these desparate situations.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 628
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You still missed something though. On you next trip you MUST go inside the Michigan Building or rather the "parking garage" attached to it.
When the Michigan Theater opened in August of 1926 it was the grandest of them all. Then in 1977 this happened.

https://www.atdetroit.net/photo/338 -MichiganTheater.htm

Peachlaser

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my, Harmonie. that is one of the most poignant photos of Detroit that I have ever seen.

Thanks for sending the link. If I had been by myself I would of done more exploring. When you are with others and pushing their patience a bit, you feel like being as expedient as possible. Next time!

Psewick

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser,

Like I said, please email me: five_khandhas@yahoo.com . I feel bad subjecting everyone to our science conversation on a thread about the Michigan Building.

Thanks for providing the names of the studies from the Natural Standard. I will look them up.

In your email to me, please tell me where you found this information: "U.S. National Institutes of Health studies state that the U.S. Healthcare system is the #1 killer of Americans." I really, *really* don't think that the NIH's own studies said that. I believe the data suggest that heart disease, cancer, tobacco, and auto accidents each kill more people than our healthcare system, as flawed as it is.

That email address again: five_khandhas@yahoo.com

Peachlaser

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick,

I need to find the direct link, but here is an overview created by someone else that also quotes JAMA articles...

http://www.cancure.org/medical _errors.htm

After your assertion that AK is bunk, I am afraid that I needed to respond fully to your assertion. My apologies to everyone if this thread has wandered, but finding the Michigan Building was because that is where Goodheart discovered AK. Finding all the rest of the history was icing on the cake.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was part of the crew that removed the projectors from the Michigan theatre in March of 1977. We were the among the last to see it before the carnage that converted that building into a parking structure. The rock concerts began the demolition, the baby-boomers that liked concerts at the Michigan felt it necessary to trash the place, free of any objection from the nickel and dime concert promoters. A company called "Golden Movement emporium" out of California bought the decorative contents of the building. This meant anything they could take that wasn't holding the building up. We brought some heavy equipment down the grand staircases without the (highly decorative) guard railings there--they were already in the semi. 'twas sad. The Michigan was in far better shape at the moment of its "conversion" than the Grand Circus was before MOT restored it into the Opera House. That sorry event occurred during the nadir of theatres and buildings in the CBD.
Michigan SM

Happier times

Peachlaser

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Packman,

What a fabulous looking theatre. Of all the photos I have seen of Detroit, these of the theatre are having the most effect. Is this photo yours and may I have permission to use it on my website? I will gladly credit you. Do you have any others?

Thanks a million!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser--I got this picture from an extinct publication (monthly rag-mag) called "the Console" which was published by my late friend Tom B'Hend out of California. Tom's gone, he might not object. The picture was taken by the Chicago architectural photo company, they might still be around, and the Theatre Historical Society has published it as well in a special booklet they printed on the Michigan, and they tend to think they own every old (previously published) photo they come to own. There are a lot of pictures of the Michigan on Wayne State University's Virtual Motor City website--the webpage of the Detroit news photo collection now housed at the Walter P. Reuther library.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.