Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ::: Upcoming Elections Mega Thread ::: » Proposal 06-5 EDUCATIONAL FUNDING GUARANTEE « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a recent repatriot so I'm a bit lost on this one. I'd appreciate any insight, opinions, historical background on:

quote:

EDUCATIONAL FUNDING GUARANTEE

A LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVE TO ESTABLISH MANDATORY SCHOOL FUNDING LEVELS

The proposed law would:

• Increase current funding by approximately $565 million and require State to provide annual funding increases equal to the rate of inflation for public schools, intermediate school districts, community colleges, and higher education (includes state universities and financial aid/grant programs).
  • Require State to fund any deficiencies from General Fund.
  • Base funding for school districts with a declining enrollment on three-year student enrollment average.
  • Reduce and cap retirement fund contribution paid by public schools, community colleges and state universities; shift remaining portion to state.
  • Reduce funding gap between school districts receiving basic per-pupil foundation allowance and those receiving maximum foundation allowance.
Should this proposed law be approved?
_____Yes _____No

Jimaz

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll ask the above once more then consult the coinflip gods. :-)

Something that others might find useful:
http://www.vgt2004.org/a-mi-ga nnett/

Jimaz

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan may take hit to aid schools

Thanks Freep!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prop 5 is just another "more money, better teaching" gimmick. Knowing that Granholm's secondmost election-campaign funding source is from the teachers' unions, I'm hardly surprised.

It simply makes those expenditures automatic and sucks even more money out of the private sector--citizens and business--without any say on their part (if they foolishly vote this proposal in, that is...).

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Granholm and DeVos are against Proposal 5.

Jimaz

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention Kwame.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What people say and what they mean or want are not always as they say...

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only group I know in favor of Proposal 5 is the teacher's union. The colleges and universities (who ostensibly stand to see their funding increased) aren't for it. The Freep article even mentions that some school district administrators aren't for it. It should tell you something when the Freep, News, Oakland Press, Devos, Ganholm and Kilpatrick all agree on something.

Something has to be done about the crushing cost of the teachers' pensions. By shifting more of the pension costs to the State, the teacher's union hopes to take the heat off of the local governments (who cannot afford to keep paying pension and retiree healthcare costs). If we stick with the status quo some people are going to start questioning the pension costs. By shifting more of the cost to the State, the teachers' union is hoping that people will be less likely to start complaining.

The local catholic church is also against Propsal 5: http://www.micatholicconferenc e.org/pdf/focus/focus_200610-P roposal5.pdf

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the fiasco with the Detroit school strikes, I'm not particularly inclined to believe anything that teachers unions say anymore.

If I want more money on my job, I have to work harder and show RESULTS FIRST.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.