Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ford's Lovett Hall and Contra Dancing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any insight as to why contra dancing was discontinued at Lovett Hall after 25 years? It seems that those that danced there were puzzled by THF's statement that they were refocusing "to meet the goals of our strategic plan". It seems the decision was made suddenly and shocked the dance community.

I find this ironic because we have been attending a new contra dance that has gotten rolling in the past several years in FORD HALL on the campus of Berry College in Rome, Georgia. As the dance started, there was a special presentation showing the influence that Henry Ford had on promoting folk dancing such as contra and square dancing. Dancing in this southern dance hall that Ford built and learning about his influence in promoting contra dancing was pretty neat. I first heard of Lovett Hall at this dance and looked forward to dancing in Dearborn when visiting Detroit. Just as I was about to have a chance to dance there, I heard about the closing of the hall to contra dancing...which is hugely ironic and a real bummer.

Anyone on this board have any insight into why this decision occurred and why it happened so quickly after almost 25 years of dancing?

Here is a site with some history...http://home.earthlink.net/~kar encontracaller/lovett.htm

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These articles and webpages may provide you with some background on the decision:

Sunday dances take final bow at The Henry Ford
http://www.detnews.com/2005/me tro/0502/07/B01-81627.htm

Longtime contra dancing program comes to an end http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/020205/lif_20050202001. shtml

You can help save contra dancing in Lovett Hall!
http://home.earthlink.net/~kar encontracaller/lovett.htm

Peachlaser

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the links. It seems that 'budget cuts', refocusing, etc. were given as the reasons, but the contra dancers say they never heard anything about this until there was a short notice given. It seems that if there was a budget problem, the contra dancers would work towards helping to resolve it. And how many weddings are scheduled for the first Sunday evening of each month?

Just wish that I could of had a chance to dance on what I heard is one of the best dance floors in America.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Henry Ford for years and always enjoyed peeking in on the Contra dancing. They do have contra dancing in the barn on autumn evenings (the hayrides). Although it's more of an informal type event, it's still contra.

THF did away with so many great programs because it didn't fit in with "the plan". I was the driver of the wagon on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow events (and sometimes Mr. Headless herself). They did away with that program, too. We were sold out every night and funded ourselves completely. Weddings have nothing to do with the contra dancing...they could have rescheduled the dancing for another part of Lovett Hall (it's huge). As for the dance floor, it is considered one of the best.

It all comes down to they want to realign their programs but in doing so lost many members because they no longer offer such a variety of events. They also lost many members because of their NO DOG policy in the village now and the lack of programs for members. It's sad. I used to LOVE working there until politics got in the way of things and they revamped it all. The good old days were much more fun. Although I still go back and teach a few equine classes, it's not nearly what it used to be.

I suggest writing a nasty letter to the new female president (you can email her) and voice your concerns. If more people would do this then they may bring back some programs due to popular demand.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, was Steve Hamp, the former president, and spouse of a Ford Great-Granddaugher (and cousin-in-law of William Clay Ford Jr.) the one responsible for all of these unwelcome changes at HFM?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, he left right before all the changes. I am sure he had them in the works. He was responsible for the remaking of the Village (it's so damned touristy now). I love and will always love the village that I know, the one with the dirt paths, horse droppings, informal FUn time that it was. Now it seems so Disney. There are some positive changes, but for the most part, it's not what I know and love. We used to have FUN there...now it's all business (for the workers). The ONLY good thing that really came of the village revamping was the barn and the artisan corner. It's much more peaceful now and the barn works much more efficiently. Other than that, I see no great improvement.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to give props to Steve Hamp, though. He kept the horses at the Village when Harold Scramstead (the bossman before Steve) wanted to ditch them. Benson Ford was instrumental in saving the horse program, too! The village without horses would have crumbled!! I couldn't even imagine. Steve did do some good things but for the most part, he came in and started revamping things, then left (prior to things actually being completed). Personally, he was a great guy...but as President of HFMGV, he ripped apart a piece of my childhood!
I can say my sister had her wedding at the Village and all went smoothly, even though there were 6 other events that evening. We never knew...other than I saw the roster of events when I was working an equine class. Her wedidng ran as if it were the ONLY event that night.
I'm still a member (it comes with my years of service there) and still enjoy going there but would enjoy it MUCH more had it been left as it was.

Gistok

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Detroitteacher!

Has the former Belle Isle stables (before that Detroit Central Market Pavilion) been restored yet? I was so glad to hear that The Henry Ford was saving it.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stables have not yet been restored, although they are working on it. It takes years to restore that type of building. They have to get plans, original photos, materials, etc. It took them almost 15 years to put together the Dymaxion house and get that on display.

I have seen parts of the stables (it's all disassembled and numbered) and it amazing. I would guess that it will be a few years before that is finished. They do some awesome work, historically, in getting things accurate before making it an exhibit. Doubt any horses will go in the stable (maybe just temporarily or they might put their giant plasticated replicas in there). Our Percherons would destroy it as a working barn. As it is the William Ford Barn was on its last legs prior to the facelift and revamping the whole equine program received (the space is now amazing and much more conducive to working with horses).

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve resigned as President of THF in November of 2005. Patricia Mooradian immediately assumed the role. There was no transition phase, per say, as she worked under him for 6 years before assuming the position. So he was indeed President of THF when the ContraDancing was discontinued.

However, while he approved the decisions...it is initially the role of the programing director to execute such decisions. What normally happens is the President andd the management team will decide the amount, in dollars, they need to cut. They will then go to the head of each department and request a list of what, or who, they could cut, and reports detailing which would be the fiscally responsible decision. There was a huge "restructuring plan" announced about two months before Steve resigned. 29 full time people were let go. The most frustrating part is that some of the positions where the people were let go were reinstated 5 months later.

the discontinuation of memberwalks, bike rides, sleigh rides, the steamboat, etc...just to name a few, all were executed under Steve's upper management board.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Johnson is the program director in the village (or at least last time I was there). Although many decisions were made under Steve's watch, most of the cutting came under the new management (it was just a matter of timing). The programs being cut were all funded through tuition type payments (since many were classes, such as the Contra Dancing).

They still do sleigh rides if there is a snow base of at least 6 inches (any less and the rudders would scrape the cement). We didn't have any such base last winter, hence no sleighs. I know this for a FACT because I often did sleigh rides by myself and we had to make sure there was a good base there (and I am stilll very involved in the equine program and know everyone at the barn). The steamboat is still there, it is my impression it is being worked on and that is why it was not out this summer. Steve has only been gone a year. The boat was out last summer. The bike rides were a huge liability (people were suing left and right).

Not to stick up for Hamp, but there is an Executive Board that makes many of the decisions, many times over riding the Pres. and that person's wishes. I know, I've seen it in action. After they revamped the village, many programs just weren't do-able, such as the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The sleigh rides sell out each and every day we have them, so they paid for themselves (we don't run carriage rides in the winter, so sleighs are our revenue). The sleighs are inspected and ready to go each fall.

I will admit, I haven't been as involved in the HF as I was in the past, but still do know some things, especially about the horse program and most of the Village workings. I even developed some of the classes for the equine program that are offered to members (and their kids). MANY events are only open to members now, whereas before they were open to the public after members were given an opportunity to purchase tickets. MANY programs have disolved into nothingness (like the upstairs tours). Like I said, I'm not happy with the way things are going, but I still love the place. My dogs LOVED to go to work with me and chase chickens and sheep. Just because one crazy woman had her dog off its leash and it bit someone do they ban our canine buddies. One person can often destroy a great program for others.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-- Jim is still the GV Program Director. It was Jim's memo that was regarding no sleigh rides in the 05-06 season. It stated (in addition to the 6inch rule) that there were not enough sleighs to accomodate the demand.
-- The Steamboat is still in working order, it is just too expensive to run (this is per Jim, and Larry Watson, Director of Transportation). Instead of increasing the price of a ride, they have docked it until further notice. 2006 was the first year it was not accessible.
-- You are right, the bike rides were a huge liability, however, that, and the Summer Nights Program are what the Membership Coordinator gets the most complaints regarding.
-- I am not dismissing the work Steve did while he held that position, because he did accomplish many positive things for the institute. Him and his wife, Sheila Ford-Hamp, continue to be tremendous supporters of THF, and I do know that he is actively invovled in the Museum Transformation effort currently underway.

Gistok

Post Number: 2951
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info both of you!!

One other note... just because the demand is greater than the supply of sleighs sounds like a rather poor reason to discontinue them. It's like saying "we had do discontinue something because it was too successful!" :-)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be the Yogi Berra rule of restaurant selection: "Nobody goes there anymore--it's too crowded."

Peachlaser

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>I suggest writing a nasty letter to the new female president (you can email her) and voice your concerns. If more people would do this then they may bring back some programs due to popular demand.<

Thanks DetroitTeache and everyone for your comments! Anyone have names/emails for the key contacts? I can mobilize 200-300 dancers and start a new write-in campaign, I think. Contra dancers are fairly organized and a vocal group when needed. I think it is a shame that something that Ford loved so much and was instrumental in promoting around the country is discontinued at his home.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 728
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim is wrong. He has no idea about the number of sleighs we have (I say we because I am still actively involved in the barn). We would ALWAYS accomodate every last rider even if that meant working round the clock while the village was open (I know, I often was on the sleigh for HOURS on end by myself). THF has plenty of sleighs to accomodate. Jim was never a huge supporter of the barn and equine program (even though he says otherwise). I think it comes down to the fact that he never got to play Icabod Crane and ride in the Legend's program (he's not a good rider)!! HA!! :-) Not to disrespect Jim, he does do great things there. Sorry, I never saw the memo (I just work on occasion). I'll have to talk to Jackie in the barn about the sleighs and get first hand real reasoning behind the sleighs (the memo behind the memo).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peach, I'll work on getting contact info when I get home from work and class tonight. I know Jim Johnson is one of the contacts that should get a mass quantity of letters in support of that program (and others in the Village).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anything involving the horses, write to Jackie Gentry c/o the William Ford Barn. She will make darn sure they get to the appropriate party (as we both are always fighting to increase the horse exposure in the village). She's very vocal and will fight til her dying breath for those horses. She was instrumental in getting the media involved back in the mid 90s when they wanted to shut down the barn permanently...and it was to her credit that the equine program survived. She is trustworthy and is always thinking of the visitor first (that is why she should get letters of concern). She's been there about 20 years (give or take) and has been involved in getting many of the equine programs we now have started. I have her personal email and will get her HFMGV email if anyone is interested.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of THF email is the first name, plus the first letter of the last name. Example: Jim Johnson = JimJ at thehenryford.org. There our a few instances were that format is not followed, however it is pretty standard institution wide, even the Presidents email follows suit.

it does not surprise me that we were misinformed about the sleighs. THF has a huge communication problem, and the people who work in the Museum, or Lovett Hall, have been known to be "officially" misinformed!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every: I know the feeling about being misinformed from THF. At the barn we were constantly misinformed about everything (including our own program) and we knew better. The box wagon they have for summer and hayrides is easily converted to a sleigh and the rudders are in storage (they might be at the barn right now). There are, at the very least, 4 sleighs plus the wagon for conversion. Each of them is in working order. We also have the horses to run the sleighs (and they do love working in the colder air, tons of energy). It might just be that they don't want to pay the barn staff necessary to run the sleighs (although we often worked alone in the winter and ran sleighs and did barn chores, to boot). It ight be that they don't want to pay someone to stand in the cold to make sure people getting off the sleighs (or on) don't go wandering about the village since it is now closed during the winter. THAT is sad because it was a beautiful walk in the winter months, even if the buildings weren't open. I do think they are losing revenue in not operating the sleighs, carriage tours, etc. as they had in years past. Folks would pay big bucks in the winter to take a carriage tour and they'd be perfectly happy with that. Makes me wonder are they really out to please the visitors...

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the Board of Trustees (a great place to start complaining about programs being cut)

http://www.hfmgv.org/about/mis sion.asp

You could also email Public relations publicrelations@thehenryford.o rg

The trustees are great ones to get things and programs back on board. That is how we saved the equine program in the 90s. They don't like to hear that the public is unhappy about THF. I'd start with Charlotte Ford, Benson Ford, and the rest. Ford's have a long standing love for the Contra Dancing program (at least that is what I heard). Sheila and Steve are a different breed, but you could also send them a nasty-gram.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right, detroitteacher, it is more likely that they did not want to pay wages for the sleigh rides. It's just a shame that they would send out false information - especially internally.

If you are going to send anything to the PR, I would recommend sending it to either WendyM at thehenryford.org, or PrathimaR at thehenryford.org. Anything else would probably just get filtered out.

Anything that is sent via PR is generally forwarded to the Membership Coordinator, Geralyn Lewis, or AmyLouise Bartlett, who is the current Director of Visitor Services. It is Amy Louise that would then take them to the upper management meetings, or forward them onto Programming.

Also, while most of the people who work in the call center do not know much, you are able to call and request to speak to someone. The only employees they are not allowed to transfer you to are the President, Vice President and CFO. Anybody else you could cold call. However, they will probably just urge you to put your concerns in writing.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 734
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad that they may not want to pay wages since the Barn People (as we so affectionately refer to ourselves) are there anyway. Horses need to be tended to even in winter months, but they are on a skeleton crew. At least when Chris Wilson was there we could roll out whatever we saw fit and use it (at least in the barn) since he left us alone and forced us to make our own decisions.

Ok, back to Contra Dancing :-)

I urge you to write (and have all fellow dancers write) to EVERYONE you can possibly think of in order to get that program back.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that gate receipts to The Henry Ford are way, way down. Maybe the economic losses really do have something to do with these decisions. Also, the new administration is very, very wedded to advancing the new Brand - however that may be defined - and surely would have ruthlessly weeded out whatever does not fit. I would think that contra dancing would "fit" The Henry Ford "brand." Maybe someone knows more about this than I do.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contra Dancing ALWAYS fit with THF "brand". It's just someone being itchy about certain programs. It has always been popular and always filled, as far as a "class offering" goes. They've cut MANY MANY programs that fit with the "brand". Usually they eliminate programs then bring them back in a few years touted as something "new".

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know from contra dancing, but I played in a wedding band that worked almost every weekend at many different venues in the metro area. The folks that ran Lovett were the most disagreeable and unfriendley geesers that we ever dealt with. Musicians can be a pain in the ass, but we were professional and business like and they usually acted like they were doing us a favor letting us in the front door.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just: Who was letting you in? Security or someone from event planning? I've dealt with all of them and they never seemed nasty. My sister had her wedding there (ok, maybe they were nicer to us since I worked there...and so did my sis at one point) and all were extremely friendly to all of her vendors. It's not folks that run Lovett Hall, they are staff at the entire HF and they work all over both the village and museum as well as LH.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for supplying contacts and insight into what is going on. I just emailed a letter to the contacts that you have provided. Here is a copy of my email...

To Whom it May Concern:

Several years, I had the pleasure to attend a new contra dance that was being revived in Ford Hall on the campus of Berry College in Rome, Georgia. Before the dance started, there was a table set up at the entrance with information on the history of contra dancing in America and a special tribute to Henry Ford which outlined his promotion and support of contra dancing across America. It was at this time that I first heard of Lovett Hall and the contra dances that occurred in Dearborn. Dancing in Lovett Hall was immediately put onto my must-do list. So, as I danced in the hall that Ford built in Rome, Georgia, I dreamt of dancing in Lovett Hall.

Sadly, I discovered that the organization that was responsible for promoting the accomplishments and interests of Henry Ford had made the decision to cease having this great American event. As we travel around the country on business and pleasure, we, like many contra dancers, always look up the local contra dance community to see if there is a dance that we can attend. For example, in the past several years we have danced in Hollywood and Pasadena, California, Chapel Hill, North Carolina and Cincinnati, Ohio. With our recent travels to Detroit, we once again wanted to dance in the famed Lovett Hall, but sadly learned that the dances had been discontinued.

I make this plea for dancers all over America and especially for the dedicated and loyal following that you have in the Detroit area, please bring back contra dancing to Lovett Hall. It is part of Ford and American history and it just seems right to be dancing in the hall that Henry built. Not having contra dancing in Lovett Hall after 23 plus years does not seem right.

This has added importance to me because I was born just around the corner from the Ford Highland Park Model T factory over 50 years ago and my family lived only half a block from Ford Hospital and less than a mile from the Ford Piquette Plant. My family left the farms of the south to work in the Ford plants during the early 20th century and I have cousins that attended Berry College where Henry Ford was a huge benefactor. So, being able to dance in the halls that Henry built has a real personal importance to me.

Please reconsider your earlier decision and bring contra dancing back to the great Lovett Hall. I think it would make Henry smile!

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great letter, Peachlaser. Best of luck to you!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peach, if it were up to me, after reading your letter, I'd bring back the Contra Dancing! Excellent!! Now get all your fellow dancers to write the same type of letter :-)

Peachlaser

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Teacher! We went contra dancing last night here in Atlanta. Heard a lot of positive comments from people. Hopefully, they will now be motivated to do something.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a website we just found on the affects of contra dancing... http://www.geocities.com/dance aruni/cface.htm

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mensch suck it up! Musicians are about as respected as the salad tooser at weddings; I know I 've been there........

I do feel uneasy when I hear Detroitteacher et,al discuss the Henry Ford(Greenfield village to me)and how it has lost some of it's charm.

But on a lighter note in reading one of the links on this thread I found it most funny that Henry Ford wanted to learn the Violin so he could play Turkey in the Straw........so he bought a violin..........a Stradavarius!!!!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having worked there before and after its transformation, I can say there are pros and cons to both ways. I guess spending time there with my grandparents when I was little and having recently lost my grandmother, it all just brought back the memories of my younger days and how I miss that. All things must change and this change isn't THAT bad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.