Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Globe Trading Company Bldg to be developed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Globe Trading Co. building, one of Detroit's most historic but derelict waterfront structures, will be redeveloped in a $15-million deal to create retail and residential units. A tentative deal has been reached between the city and Urban Development Co., a local partnership headed by Detroit-based builder Mark Wilcox.
The condos are expected to cost from the low $200,000s to the upper $300,000s and measure 900 to 2,000 square feet. ..."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061020/BUS INESS04/610200348/1017/BUSINES S

Skamour
Username: Skamour

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can say one thing... From thousands of miles away, it really sounds like some great things are happening at home in the D. It may be because I live in a place where it isn't quite yet taboo to defecate on the streets. It may just be because there is genuniely ALOT happening in Detroit. This is such a great announcement!!!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where are you/.? In Munchen near the Hautbahnhof....I saw tons of guys pissing around there.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this could be a fantastic development if done right. I'm interested.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for that part of town - the price per foot seems very reasonable based on the limited info in the article

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes indeed. I'm hoping that this development along with the condo projects on the riverfront will bring additional business to Magnolia and the Key Club-an absolutely superb but very incognito establishment.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5921
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skamour - if not Munich, how about Berlin? Brussels?

I got to witness and smell it in both cities...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is huge. And a great signal that the East riverfront will have at least a token presence of its historic urban fabric. This is some of the most important development news I've heard in a while.

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When this building was visited by the 1980 and 2005 Society for Industrial Archeology Detroit tours there was no prospect for its re-use, so this is big news. This is one of the most historic buildings in Detroit. Built as the Dry Dock Engine Works, it was a machine shop that built the tall reciprocating steam engines for early Great Lakes steamships. The site of the dry dock is easily visible as the inlet south of the building in aerial photos. These are some of the last remnants of the Detroit/Ecorse shipbuilding firms. The engine shop was where Henry Ford first worked as a machinist.

If they succeed in converting it to condos, my guess is that it will be a kind of new building built inside the old walls. The engine erecting shop is basically a big, open hall. Here's hoping this structure survives into its third century.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news indeed!!

Can anyone say what the former McGregor Carriage House (on Franklin?) is used for these days? It was one of Schervish, Vogel & Merz's first projects, and IIRC, their offices for many years.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great News. The price/ sq ft is very reasonable. Being just off the water makes a huge difference in the projected sales prices. On the other hand, being immediately across from the State Park will be a huge selling point.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Initially the part of the building that faces Atwater(the longest part shown in the Free Press article photo) was going to be demolished and the remaining part was going to be a visitor center for the state park. Also, Atwater would be closed off at the intersection of Atwater and Orleans to connect the park to the visitor center at the Globe Trading Building.

The Riverfront Conservancy had these initial plans in their master plan. Does this news change everything above? Will the visitor center still be a part of the condo/retail plans? Will Atwater still be cut-off at Orleans and Atwater? Who knows the real story and can get the true facts out here?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4581
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely didn't see this one coming. Great, great news!

Skamour
Username: Skamour

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaifeng, Henan Province, China. One of China's few central-eastern big cities not engulfed by cranes. I wish I could say this place had anything in common with Detroit, but all of it's historical landmarks are well preserved, and there are no fast food restaurants!

Anyways, this is great news for the river. It is about time that we start to appreciate that invaluable stretch, like so many cities around the world have. Way to go Detroit!

Adamtc1
Username: Adamtc1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a University of Detroit Masters of Architecture student and met with the CEO of the Riverfront Conservancy on Wednesday and he informed me then that the plan to use the Globe Building had been canceled much earlier because of the historical survey that had been done by the HAER organization and the hopes of a better reuse of the building. The plan to close Atwater at the site has also been cancled but he said that there is a chance that it could still happen.

(Message edited by Adamtc1 on October 22, 2006)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait so the development has been canceled? or an old plan to incorporate it into the riverfront plan?

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha
i have seen bums pooing on the streets in paris and warsaw

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news, or bad news is adamtc is right. Anyway Ive been in globe recently and I honestly dont know how it would be saved or converted unless they just preserve the fascade. The main building is just a cavernous shell and then the uppermost floors were feeling rather spongy and unsound. Ive been wrong before though about the conversion of warehouse to lofts esecially around midtown.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a University of Detroit Masters of Architecture student and met with the CEO of the Riverfront Conservancy on Wednesday and he informed me then that the plan to use the Globe Building had been canceled much earlier because of the historical survey that had been done by the HAER organization and the hopes of a better reuse of the building. The plan to close Atwater at the site has also been cancled but he said that there is a chance that it could still happen.

He's going for a masters degree with that ability of writing? Oh wait, he's an architecture student.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7029
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

met with the CEO of the Riverfront Conservancy on Wednesday and he informed me

Not forgetting that the CEO of the Riverfront Conservancy, Faye Nelson, is a woman.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Adamtc1 was speaking of Matt Cullen or Derrick Miller.

Adamtc1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I meant to type COO (Cheif Operarting Officer) Leonard Marszalek, AIA.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT'S REBIRTH: Condos to fill gaps in riverfront

BY JOHN GALLAGHER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
October 25, 2006

In a boost for efforts to redevelop Detroit's long-neglected riverfront, the city's Economic Development Corp. approved two projects Tuesday that will add hundreds of condominiums to the waterfront district.

The EDC board, a development arm of the city, approved the renovation of the derelict Globe Trading Co. building at Orleans and Atwater in a project headed by Detroit developer Mark Wilcox and his firm Urban Development LLC.

His project, announced last week, would cost $15 million and add 45 condos plus retail space in the historic structure.

The other project, known as @water Lofts and pronounced "Atwater," was first unveiled last March. Headed by Detroit developer Dwight Belyue, the project initially would create more than 200 upscale condos, and ultimately more than 400, in phases on either side of Atwater at an eventual cost of near $200 million. The site is roughly between Riopelle and Rivard.

Both projects are located about a half-mile east of the Renaissance Center. Part of the @water Lofts project will rise on land once occupied by cement silos.

The two projects became the first of several riverfront condo deals announced in the past year to win approval from the EDC. With approval in hand, developers can complete their preliminary planning and close on the properties in the coming months.

The first of the projects to actually begin construction is likely to be Belyue's @water Lofts. Belyue told the EDC board that he expects to have contractors at work by the spring.
Both projects will be located near portions of the city's planned RiverWalk, the waterside promenade under construction.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061025/BUSINES S04/610250313/1017

Adamtc1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MATT this is a thread. I don't concern myslef with my grammar I am just attempting to provide some information.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adam, since probably no one on this forum knows you, the only way for us to judge your comments are 1) content, and 2) grammar.

Very often on this forum poor grammar is judged as either 1) poor education, or 2) laziness.

Other folks on this forum are sticklers for caps/lower case (don't even try to post in upper case), and very long paragraphs. There's plenty of grammar police on the Detroit Yes Forum.

When one uses poor grammar here, folks tend to discount your message.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.