Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Surreal Year in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6924
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am struck this morning with the surreality of this past year in the city of Detroit.

AllStar Game last summer. Sod for the new boulevard islands.

SuperBowl this past February. Gratiot gets some bright new retro-streetlights. We learn that we can handle the biggest party in the free world.

Pistons go right up to the Championship. Oops, heartbreak, but we know they can do it.

Wings go right up to the Championship. Oops, heartbreak again, and a few of the veterans retire.

Tigers go right up to the Championship. They can take us past Oops...and make anyone older than forty re-live their 1968 memories.

Final Four in a few months.

What a blur! What have I missed in my listing?

IF anything, the world is going to get SICK of Detroit's over-coverage on their tee-vee stage! Then, if we're lucky, they'll basically forget about us again, albeit with a better aftertaste...or afterGLOW, depending upon how intimate they got with us.

Best part of it...our teams have been winning by showing that it isn't just about the stars...it is the team...and obviously with the Tigers, the fans.

Cheers on another Friday morning...

(Message edited by Gannon on October 20, 2006)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah if we only had jobs!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

final four at ford field is in 2009, not in a few months.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cheers on another Friday morning

Thanks and good afternoon to you. :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6925
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, when I first wrote it, it wasn't noon yet! Damn that edit chain time delay...

I added that Final Four from a discussion with a friend, thanks for clarifying...2009 seems a long way away.

We don't need no stinking jobs...we need to completely revisit how we live and truly plan for an oil-poor future. Since that isn't going to happen quickly, we need to put on our entrepreneurial caps and think up what the rest of the country will buy that we can build.

It will help if we can re-use the materials our local scrappers are kindly 'mining' for us...

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shock won the wnba championship. and the wings didn't quite go up to theirs, they lost in the first round.

yes, this has been a good run for detroit. maybe the lions will continue it next year...

but i'm not holding my breath.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like the Steelers Superbowl win added a bit to the mix - strictly because of 'The Bus' and the exposure he has gotten with winning in his hometown, then retiring.

I'm waiting for us to make news for something other than sports, albeit a HUGE sports fan.

later - naturalsister

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

World class heartburn after 3 Coneys at The Lafayette.

Don't get any better than Detroit, good-day.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naturalsister, we make the news every day for something besides sports: the crappy automotive industry. Unfortunate, but true.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know that its as big as the things you've listed, but the announcement about racing coming back to Detroit was pretty big, and of course theres always the Powerboat races and the Marathon

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't some hot chick from the D win that silly model search reality TV show, too?

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and wasn't De-licious from Detroit the winner of the Flavor of Love?
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/f lavor_of_love/series.jhtml

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

and wasn't De-licious from Detroit the winner of the Flavor of Love?

This is supposed to be things to be proud of, not the dubious achievement awards. :-)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^And she is a DPS alum :-D

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, a woman from Detroit was in the finals on that show ealrier this year...hoopz

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoopz is from the Detroit area too. So, Detroits 2 for 2 on Flavor of Love..

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The D, remotely, also got press from Seger's latest album and going on tour again. I'm really thrilled that, unlike the SuperBowl, the local World Series games will have LOCAL music included, like Seger doing "God Bless America". Not sure if there's any Motown planned but there SHOULD be. Maybe Aretha doing a National Anthem (and not lip-syncing like she did at the Gov.'s Inaugeration ).

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not want to make a new thread.

They is going to be a segment on Detroit in a few minutes on the NBC nightly news. It is channel 4 for me. It looks like it will be a good segment.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7even, thanks for the heads up. I just caught it at 6:50. Looks like a positive story. Shame it was so short.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good story.

It showed the good, the bad, and the ugly. However, for just one week...all is great in the motor city!!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was basically sympathetic about Detroit's economic situation and it noted how much Detroit needed these recent upbeat sports events. KK got a good plug in for Detroit too.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man,

My reference to NEWS, meant/means good or positive exposure - like what the sports stories have given us.

Born in Detroit and having lived in 4 other major US cities, trust me - I know the 'word on the street' and in the news concerning the D.

later - naturalsister

:-P

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.